We have bears walk through the campsites in all our Boy Scout camps in NJ.  You can be brushing your teeth at the latrine and a bear will walk through the camp 10' away from you and not pay attention.  You might freak out, but you usually only see them once they are very, very close.

We keep a very strict "no food in clothes, backpacks or tents" policy, and for most campouts no food in the campsite at all if the camp is a dining hall camp and not a patrol cooking camp.

Last weekend at a district-wide Cub Scout Family Camporee, one Cub Scout disobeyed all the rules, and hid a few marshmallows in his backpack for a late night snack.

In the middle of the afternoon, a bear came out of the woods, walked straight across the campsite directly to the boy's tent, ripped the tent open, walked over to the backpack, ripped it open, took the marshmallows, and then walked out of the camp.  Straight to the food, ate the food, left.  The boy wasn't in the tent, fortunately.

I bet the hunter had a granola bar or something in his pocket.  The bear smelled it, came up the tree to get it, saw that the human was still there and decided the food was going to be too hard to get.

Rolling the dice to expect cub scouts to not hide food, but if everyone else is correct the bear would have just needed his belly scratched, posed for photos and been on his way. Reminds me of the daily lecture we get about how nice pitbulls are, but humans are a bad influence on some of them.

We keep a very strict "no food in clothes, backpacks or tents" policy, and for most campouts no food in the campsite at all if the camp is a dining hall camp and not a patrol cooking camp.

That's interesting. How do you transport food for patrols?

The guy in the tree stand handled it perfectly. It wouldn't have been easy given his uncertainty about the outcome, but he done good.

Holy shit!

I probably woulda bailed, lol.

But once it was that close, how could you not try to pet it??

Bailed with another bear at the bottom of the tree?  Not worth the broken legs. and possible mauling afterwards.  LOL

It was crazy how fast the bear made it up the tree and he was in the guys face.

Good message for all the hunters, you don't own the woods the bears do.

Rolling the dice to expect cub scouts to not hide food, but if everyone else is correct the bear would have just needed his belly scratched, posed for photos and been on his way. Reminds me of the daily lecture we get about how nice pitbulls are, but humans are a bad influence on some of them.

Black bears and reasonably sized people are not going to get into it over the bear wanting to eat you. Territory and panic are entirely different matters though. If one starts pacing you while you are walking, be very concerned. If you create a situation where you have created no exit for the bear (i.e. blocked one into a garage), you want to be not doing that ASAP. Also be concerned about any atypical behavior. Typically they want to leave you alone and be left alone. If they are doing other things atypically, I wouldn't count on that one holding either. 

Black bears really scare me.  We had one in our back yard about 15 years ago that was 20 feet from the two Huskies I had at the time and they were just in a staring contest.  I was concerned the dogs were going to try to attack it, I knew that would not turn out well.  That bear was at least 400 pounds.  Last summer there was another large one across the street from me coming around behind my neighbors house as you can see below:

7680553090_071946facf_b_d.jpg

That's interesting. How do you transport food for patrols?

If the troop trailer is close by (not a backpacking trip), it stays in the trailer (along with toothpaste, etc).

If it's a backpacking trip, food never leaves bear containers except when being cooked.  Almost all campgrounds now have bear boxes (which are usually construction job site boxes).  Food is packed-in in bear proof containers, and then the backpacks used to carry the food are stored outside the tents at night (although we've not had any molested).

At out summer camp in the Adirondacks, the cooks from each patrol hike to the commissary (~1 mile away), get the food, bring it back and cook, and then take the garbage and any left over food back to the commissary.  No food is ever left in the campsite.

Are you in the wrong if you discharged your hunting rifle at it while he was making his way up the tree? I mean as we can see he didnt harm the hunter but what if he did?

Black bears don't usually eat people and 0 deaths in NJ have resulted from interactions with black bears. That said your first encounter with one will be scary. 

Although black bear attacks are exceedingly rare, there have been people killed by black bears and a few of those people were beleived to be killed by hungry black bears that were just coming out of hibernation. While the vast majority of black bears will never attack humans (especially adults), black bears are the most unpredictable bears we have in North America. I wouldn't take it for granted that they won't attack anyone.

Are you in the wrong if you discharged your hunting rifle at it while he was making his way up the tree? I mean as we can see he didnt harm the hunter but what if he did?

Only one problem, the tree stand guy was bow hunting. Unless he also had a rifle it would be pretty ballsy to hit the bear with an arrow

If they have cubs with them all bets are off. That would have been a great case for bear spray. Oh wait you can't have that in NJ. :rolleyes:

Edit: I definitely would have messed my pants, no doubt about it.