Dargo72

First Hangun Bought - Now Where to Get Ammo

you can always find it online..  sometimes at a half decent price, sometimes not...

Just to get a few boxes to shoot, try this site..

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/38special/

this will give you a bunch of online retailers that have some in stock..  right now Cabelas has some Remington in stock for $20 per box..  its not the cheapest price, but these days, $20 for .38 is about average..  if you really want to buy more, bookmark that site and pay attention daily..  stock and price changes all the time and when a good deal come on, you jump on it.. 

Just my 2¢..   Congrats on the purchase.  They are fine guns (I dont own one, but one of the guns i tested was the GP100).  Good, solid feeling gun and built like a tank from what i hear

you can always find it online..  sometimes at a half decent price, sometimes not...

Just to get a few boxes to shoot, try this site..

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/38special/

this will give you a bunch of online retailers that have some in stock..  right now Cabelas has some Remington in stock for $20 per box..  its not the cheapest price, but these days, $20 for .38 is about average..  if you really want to buy more, bookmark that site and pay attention daily..  stock and price changes all the time and when a good deal come on, you jump on it.. 

Just my 2¢..   Congrats on the purchase.  They are fine guns (I dont own one, but one of the guns i tested was the GP100).  Good, solid feeling gun and built like a tank from what i hear

Thanks for the advice.  And these places will ship right to your house in NJ?

Thanks, now when its delivered, do you have to be there to sign for it?

Ive never had to.  Hell, one time UPS left 2,500 rounds sitting at my front door and didnt even bother to ring the bell (I happened to be home at the time).

I prefer Slickguns.com rather than Gunbot. Also you can set up email notifications for any ammo and price you want to pay and you'll get an instant email when it is in stock. 

Aimsurplus.com had PPU brand .357 rounds for $19.95 a box which is the cheapest I have ever seen .357 ammo sell for. I never used this brand so maybe it is garbage. Also have never bought from this site so I can't speak for their service. The only thing with Aimsurplus is shipping is pricey with small quantity orders so you need to factor in price if you are just getting a few boxes. Example: wanted to see shipping rates for a case of ammo (10 boxes) and it was under $16 shipping and 3 boxes was around $14 for same ammo. I think they do a flat rate price then add small increases for weight of the order. The good thing is they do not have limits on the amount of boxes per order. Bad thing is that most ammo sells fast because of this so you need to act fast. 

All in all I have bought most of my ammo at Cabela's. Very pleased with their service and shipping is lightning fast. I also get lucky at Dick's sporting goods as well. Some are anti Dick's sporting because they took AR's off the shelves but when all the craziness was going down a few months ago, their prices did not budge and they got ammo in twice a week like clockwork. 

And lastly, throw you local gun shop a bone and buy some boxes from them as long they are not gouging you to death. I know they can't match the big box stores and online retailers price wise so I expect to pay a couple bucks more and I am glad to give it to them. I saw a few shops selling .22 lr 300 round containers for $100 and 50 rounds for $20 which really pissed shooters off and they just spent there money online.

I prefer Slickguns.com rather than Gunbot. Also you can set up email notifications for any ammo and price you want to pay and you'll get an instant email when it is in stock. 

Aimsurplus.com had PPU brand .357 rounds for $19.95 a box which is the cheapest I have ever seen .357 ammo sell for. I never used this brand so maybe it is garbage. Also have never bought from this site so I can't speak for their service. The only thing with Aimsurplus is shipping is pricey with small quantity orders so you need to factor in price if you are just getting a few boxes. Example: wanted to see shipping rates for a case of ammo (10 boxes) and it was under $16 shipping and 3 boxes was around $14 for same ammo. I think they do a flat rate price then add small increases for weight of the order. The good thing is they do not have limits on the amount of boxes per order. Bad thing is that most ammo sells fast because of this so you need to act fast. 

All in all I have bought most of my ammo at Cabela's. Very pleased with their service and shipping is lightning fast. I also get lucky at Dick's sporting goods as well. Some are anti Dick's sporting because they took AR's off the shelves but when all the craziness was going down a few months ago, their prices did not budge and they got ammo in twice a week like clockwork. 

And lastly, throw you local gun shop a bone and buy some boxes from them as long they are not gouging you to death. I know they can't match the big box stores and online retailers price wise so I expect to pay a couple bucks more and I am glad to give it to them. I saw a few shops selling .22 lr 300 round containers for $100 and 50 rounds for $20 which really pissed shooters off and they just spent there money online.

I picked up 250 rounds of the PPU .38 from Aim along with 100 rounds of the .357,both were priced right and very accurate and clean to shoot. A decent product that performed well in my Smith. The .357 is quite hot and  a real handful in a smaller frame revolver.

If you live or work near a Dicks, check thier shelves on a regular basis at different times during the week as they get it sporadically but since you'll need your fid its pain to rememeber your card. I try to pick up thier max of 4 boxes whenever I see them until i'm satisfies with my stash. Get the feel of 357 and have on hand for HD but don't waste your money blowing too much off at the range. 38 spl is fine

And as always SAVE YOUR BRASS

Reloading is your ultimate goal

Just started doing that. It amazes me when I think about how many shells I have left on the floor only to be swept away. Now, after each time at the port, when finished, try to get as many back as possible, and just save them for another day.

the only problem i have with this is that email notifications are so slow compared to live stock/pricing.  I have signed up for email notifications for several items in the past and by the time I get the email (since I cant have the emails sent to work, and I dont get to check my home email all the time from work), the items is OOS and ive missed the opportunity.  Now, I can be online with GunBot up all the time (at work or at home if im really looking for something) and when something pops up, im there and get in before it goes OOS..

That said, if you have your home email on your smartphone and check it all day long, your way could work..  Just doesnt for me..

I ordered from ammosurplus.com & they have .38 special by Aguila (I'm new to shooting so don't know of their reputation) for 50 shots.  My order is going to take about 1 week to get here.  I would recommend ordering as much as you can feasible affored (250 -500 rounds) as to defray the shipping costs.  Doesn't make sense to order one or two boxes if it is going to cost you almost $15 to ship it.

Here is their link:

http://www.surplusammo.com/categories/Ammo%252dPistol/38-Special/

Look at MidwayUsa.com as well but as others said you need to scan & email front & back of your FID and the front of your driver license to them.  I set up a new account with them and then referenced my customer account number in the email/scan I sent them.  They replied back in about 10-15 minutes saying I was wall good.

There is also a thread with various other online ammo sites.  Luckygunner looked to thave decent prices.  My hardest problem was finding a site that stocked both .327 & .32 .....I ended up ordering 250 rounds of .327 and will pick up some .32 at a gun shop or order it next time I get paid.

Also call around to your gun shops that sell ammo if you want ammo now to go shoot.

Enjoy, be safe & have fun.

the only problem i have with this is that email notifications are so slow compared to live stock/pricing.  I have signed up for email notifications for several items in the past and by the time I get the email (since I cant have the emails sent to work, and I dont get to check my home email all the time from work), the items is OOS and ive missed the opportunity.  Now, I can be online with GunBot up all the time (at work or at home if im really looking for something) and when something pops up, im there and get in before it goes OOS..

That said, if you have your home email on your smartphone and check it all day long, your way could work..  Just doesnt for me..

Yea you need to order as soon as you get the email or it will sell out. I have it hooked up on my cell phone so once I get the email I put the order in within minutes. I get a dozen or more emails daily from slickguns.