Heavyopp

New Hornady Press destroyed by UPS

After 20+ years of puling the handle on my Rock Chucker I decided it was time for a progressive.  Last week I ordered a hornady LNL from Natchez.

I  decided to go Hornady for the ease of caliber changes and availability.  Price was $389 plus Natchez overpriced shipping of $31.

Now, I had heard stories about Natchez horrible packaging on these presses, Or total lack of packaging beside what Hornady provides so I had also ordered a can of 1 shot degreaser in the hopes of making Natchez put everything in 1 box.  

Total Fail --  They shipped 2 boxes --  I guess they overcharged me so much on shipping they could afford to send 2 packages 

UPS guy shows up at the house after 5pm, front door is open, storm door locked -- wife hears the truck pull up but he never knocks on the door -- Sees the UPS guy walking away -- 2 boxes left on the stoop

I get home and immediately see damage to the box,  like it was a soccer ball. tossed around and took a heavy hit on the corner -- box totally compromised 

Before I even opened it, I took pictures --  I've had boxes like this before, usually no damage to the contents --  Not this time

I opened my new press to find that UPS actually broke the casting.  Took the handle mounting tab clean off the machine.  It is cast aluminum.

Also the powder measure is all scuffed -- I didn't unpack it to see if there was any further damage

I did call Natchez this morning @ 9am -- got a person instantly - Unfortunately, this person was not customer service, just an order taker.  NO customer service till Monday.

I'll see how this plays out --  Have to wait till Monday, for a call from them.  At the moment, they have zero stock -- Can't even send me a new one 

Here's the pictures...

post-4907-0-91297400-1371911425_thumb.jpg

post-4907-0-77475600-1371911439_thumb.jpg

post-4907-0-80144400-1371911458_thumb.jpg

post-4907-0-17718200-1371911471_thumb.jpg

post-4907-0-17574600-1371911486_thumb.jpg

post-4907-0-76611600-1371911502_thumb.jpg

post-4907-0-20069200-1371911516_thumb.jpg

It can wait till Monday --  No one in UPS will see it till then anyway

Natchez will handle it I'm sure --  I'm just the one stuck playing the waiting game --

I can't imagine UPS gives Natchez a hard time --  They are the only option for domestic shipping offered by Natchez --  Gotta be a big customer  

That sucks. You will be covered but its a PIA having to deal with stuff like that. I caught the FedEx guy tossing my ammo delivery literally like a bowling ball. Saw him pull back and and let it rip. Opened the door and ripped him out and reported it to FedEx. Just a blatant a hole. My ups guy is a champ though.

That sucks. You will be covered but its a PIA having to deal with stuff like that. I caught the FedEx guy tossing my ammo delivery literally like a bowling ball. Saw him pull back and and let it rip. Opened the door and ripped him out and reported it to FedEx. Just a blatant a hole. My ups guy is a champ though.

Fedex ground hires subcontractors to deliver. They could give a sh*t how they treat your package since they're not actually part of fedex.

You can weld that bad boy back up jer

I suggested that --  Cast aluminum is weldable --  I told them I need to be compensated --  Not gonna pay for a new press that needs fixing at my expense

Guy a natchez said "why would you do that -- Its a new press, No need for that"  I then said, "If you can't get me a replacement, I'm fixing this one for a fee -- No way I'm gonna wait 6 months for another"

Once again, He was an order taker -- 

I suggested that --  Cast aluminum is weldable --  I told them I need to be compensated --  Not gonna pay for a new press that needs fixing at my expense

Guy a natchez said "why would you do that -- Its a new press, No need for that"  I then said, "If you can't get me a replacement, I'm fixing this one for a fee -- No way I'm gonna wait 6 months for another"

Once again, He was an order taker -- 

I think the order taker gave you the right answer.  You paid for a new press don't accept anything less. If it was hit hard enough to break the handle attachment, who knows what it did to the actual cylinder, grease seals, banjo etc.  When thousandths of an inch make a difference between a 10 shot and something blowing up 2 feet from your face,  I lean to the cautious.

I'll know more on Monday --  Kinda sucks with a new press sitting here and I can't touch it --  I could have it welded up in an hour but I'm only doing that if they give me $200 back

I'm not so sure I'll even be in contact with Hornady -- I think it'll be an issue between Natchez and UPS --  UPS is gonna say it wasn't packed properly, And actually I agree.

For $31 shipping they could have thrown the thing in another box.  It's not Hornadys fault UPS manhandled a poorly packaged product.

UPS policy, from what I see, is they only make a payment to the shipper.  Even if I file a claim, Natchez  gets the check.

I highly doubt they'll leave it behind. It will need a new box to send it back in. This one is like tissue on the busted up corner.

I think the order taker gave you the right answer.  You paid for a new press don't accept anything less. If it was hit hard enough to break the handle attachment, who knows what it did to the actual cylinder, grease seals, banjo etc.  When thousandths of an inch make a difference between a 10 shot and something blowing up 2 feet from your face,  I lean to the cautious.

I would agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^

Let them get you a new one or a refund and order one elsewhere.

It can wait till Monday --  No one in UPS will see it till then anyway

Natchez will handle it I'm sure --  I'm just the one stuck playing the waiting game --

I can't imagine UPS gives Natchez a hard time --  They are the only option for domestic shipping offered by Natchez --  Gotta be a big customer  

they don't care, their claims dept was outsourced and they don't pay...my company eats it all the time and we are a multi million dollar account for ups...

they don't care, their claims dept was outsourced and they don't pay...my company eats it all the time and we are a multi million dollar account for ups...

Then why continue to use UPS??  

When I ship out a tumbler, UPS is always higher priced than Fedex -- Luckily I've never had to deal with a claim as the shipper

I just sent this out today --- I wonder if they would consider that sufficiently packed

post-4907-0-46939700-1372045278_thumb.jpg

post-4907-0-86201100-1372045290_thumb.jpg

Jer,

How did it go with Natchez and UPS today?

Doesn't look good --  Natchez called said UPS will pick up the press tomorrow for inspection -- I told them I wasn't happy with that.  Said I wasn't going to supply someone at UPS with a repairable press and I'm stuck waiting for another.  Customer service rep said it would most likely be more than a 30 day wait.  

I'm not sure how it's going to end,  I told Natchez to pay me to repair it. Of course the woman on the phone couldn't commit to that -- said she had to talk to her supervisor

I'm kinda pissed at the moment --  I told them that if UPS takes the press to refund me in full immediately.  They don't have anything to send me, so there's no reason to wait till UPS decides what they are going to do. I'll never see that press again, even if UPS decides not to cover it.  

Some guy at UPS is gonna get that press, repair it, and be making ammo months before I find another at a reasonable price. 

The bottom line is -- right now I'm supposed to be getting a call from the supervisor sometime tomorrow, before noon -- at that point we'll decide what exactly is going to happen. 

Did I mention I was pissed...

It gets even better...   They told me to leave it on the front porch!!!   Don't know when UPS will come to get it- -  Just sometime tomorrow

What if it's stolen?  Who's responsible then?  

I've got more questions before this happens --- my money is gonna be refunded or I will have another press before his thing leaves my possession.