Tallday

Getting my NJ hunting Bow Permit this week!!

So I go this week to take my field exam and am excited. I have been shooting my longbow for a few years but not confident with it to take a deer, so I got a compound. I can say that I am 100% with the compound for hunting and taking an animal. I have a few questions about hunting and rules. Any help would be great.

1. Is it legal to go into a WMA area and do some scouting and tracking to prepare/plot for the season?

2. What is a good WMA or other public land to start? I plan on ground hunting.

3. What gear will I actually need? bug spray, Binos, camo and bow is about all I have. With all the things available on the market I don't even know were to begin.

4. Is there a good resource on animal tracking and signs to look for when planing for a hunt?

5. If i get lucky is there a good butcher to process the deer after the harvest?

Where are you out of... any wma or state land can be scouted at any time and the best time is before or after the season. Early bow yes you need something for bugs... buy a thermocell.. there awsome in nj but for some reason suck in canada lol.. unless your solid on ranging get a range finder.. I know too many guys that over or undershoot because they are so great they don't use range finders.. handsaw and twine go a long way for blinds and clearing lanes.. knife obviously.. anything else is extra and extra scrap you need to drag in.. unless your on good farmland with tons of deer a light grunt is all id carry rattle and doe cans just don't work in deep oak..for me at least.. if you scout now while there's good foliage you can see deer paths beeten down look for deer poop paths beds that are flattened out... rubs at this point could be from dead deer so wait on rubs untill there fresh... once you find some typical deer paths look for where a few meet usual ridge lines will play a role in intersections .. when u find an intersection figure a decent spot to throw some brush and make a few lanes way before the hunting season starts.. also check for signs of other hunters not only ate people territorial on state land lol but if there's someone close by they might suck and screw your plans up.. I had a amazing spot thought I was deeeep in the woods I was ok set a camera up and all.. great pics.. first day I was in an hour before light ... just as blue hour came I see flash lights and clanking from some guys ladder stand he was setting up two hundred yards away... if I looked I would have seen his corn all over and why he would set up a stand opening day I dont know... after a few hours I was too pisses to stay as I walked out I saw the quad he took in on state land and I never went back... odd I didn't hear the quad.. good luck p.m. me if you want any specifics or have questions I love hunting and u will to.. ohh and unless you need sausages made butcher your own deer its part of the whole thing and is easy after a couple times doing it... watch you tube videos or if your close by ill give you a quick lesson..

As for tracking if you shoot well you wont need to track.. if its a bad shot give it good time if its not bear heaven come back in the a.m. most broad heads leave a good blood trail to follow.. and buy a seat cushion and any rock or log makes a good seat... scent killer is good but not end all you still need to watch wind.. unless your looking to burn cash hunt a season and you'll know what u want NEED and what you don't... as for wind its not that hard grab a compass stand where the blind or your spot is and look at where the deer will be coming when u wake up go outside or check online if the wind is blowing towards the deer path from your spot don't hunt it... I always make two spots in each area to void out wind issues and still get on the deer... if you know its a monster coming in don't mess around if wind isn't in your favor font hunt it wait...

Where are you out of... any wma or state land can be scouted at any time and the best time is before or after the season. Early bow yes you need something for bugs... buy a thermocell.. there awsome in nj but for some reason suck in canada lol.. unless your solid on ranging get a range finder.. I know too many guys that over or undershoot because they are so great they don't use range finders.. handsaw and twine go a long way for blinds and clearing lanes.. knife obviously.. anything else is extra and extra scrap you need to drag in.. unless your on good farmland with tons of deer a light grunt is all id carry rattle and doe cans just don't work in deep oak..for me at least.. if you scout now while there's good foliage you can see deer paths beeten down look for deer poop paths beds that are flattened out... rubs at this point could be from dead deer so wait on rubs untill there fresh... once you find some typical deer paths look for where a few meet usual ridge lines will play a role in intersections .. when u find an intersection figure a decent spot to throw some brush and make a few lanes way before the hunting season starts.. also check for signs of other hunters not only ate people territorial on state land lol but if there's someone close by they might suck and screw your plans up.. I had a amazing spot thought I was deeeep in the woods I was ok set a camera up and all.. great pics.. first day I was in an hour before light ... just as blue hour came I see flash lights and clanking from some guys ladder stand he was setting up two hundred yards away... if I looked I would have seen his corn all over and why he would set up a stand opening day I dont know... after a few hours I was too pisses to stay as I walked out I saw the quad he took in on state land and I never went back... odd I didn't hear the quad.. good luck p.m. me if you want any specifics or have questions I love hunting and u will to.. ohh and unless you need sausages made butcher your own deer its part of the whole thing and is easy after a couple times doing it... watch you tube videos or if your close by ill give you a quick lesson..

Thanks for all the info I plan on Black River WMA to start. any grunt recommendations? there are a ton of options and would like to get it right the first time i buy as money is tight after the 1200 I spent on the bow.. I also have a rangefinder i got on clearance at dicks seems to work fine around the neighborhood.

As for tracking if you shoot well you wont need to track.. if its a bad shot give it good time if its not bear heaven come back in the a.m. most broad heads leave a good blood trail to follow.. and buy a seat cushion and any rock or log makes a good seat... scent killer is good but not end all you still need to watch wind.. unless your looking to burn cash hunt a season and you'll know what u want NEED and what you don't... as for wind its not that hard grab a compass stand where the blind or your spot is and look at where the deer will be coming when u wake up go outside or check online if the wind is blowing towards the deer path from your spot don't hunt it... I always make two spots in each area to void out wind issues and still get on the deer... if you know its a monster coming in don't mess around if wind isn't in your favor font hunt it wait...

Thanks! I plan on the trial and error this season as I don't have money to burn. I think I have the basics as far as gear on my list and now need to learn how to spot and stalk and create blinds in the woods. lot to learn this season is when I plan on doing it.

So I go this week to take my field exam and am excited. I have been shooting my longbow for a few years but not confident with it to take a deer, so I got a compound. I can say that I am 100% with the compound for hunting and taking an animal. I have a few questions about hunting and rules. Any help would be great.

1. Is it legal to go into a WMA area and do some scouting and tracking to prepare/plot for the season?

2. What is a good WMA or other public land to start? I plan on ground hunting.

3. What gear will I actually need? bug spray, Binos, camo and bow is about all I have. With all the things available on the market I don't even know were to begin.

4. Is there a good resource on animal tracking and signs to look for when planing for a hunt?

5. If i get lucky is there a good butcher to process the deer after the harvest?

You need a permit for a bow ??

Black River area has a lot of bugs in the summer. Do as much scouting as you possibly can in the summer. You will have water everywhere, which is not always a good thing. Walk up and down the tributaries, and imagine which ones will be drinkable in the fall / winter. Look for bedding areas, dense brush, thick pines, a good "deer shelter". Also look for corn fields nearby, stands of oaks, tall grasses, lots of food. The deer will be walking between these.

GPS is not needed, but could be helpful. You should know the land, and all surrounding streams, mountains, ridges, and roads (in case you have to drag out another way).

I don't think it was mentioned... you may want a good drag rope system. 90 - 150 lbs dressed isn't easy to drag. This is my most complex setup for long drags, rocky uneven terrain, streams, rivers, logs, brush. For an open field buck, you can just grab the antlers. I find that thicker tow strap webbing won't rip my skin as much. You can also use an old tarp to lay the deer on, and then tie off the tarp around the deer like a burrito. For a doe, cinch the front legs to the head as high as you can. Maybe cut into the hocks and threading through, and then tie off around the head. You want to tie it tightly so that when you sling it over your back or tie to your waist, the head and front legs are elevated and don't snag.

You can keep your drag setup in your vehicle, or on your person. I usually end up walking back to my vehicle, casing up my weapon, and then returning to the animal.

Wow thanks for rhe info I hAd not even though about how to take one out of the woods. To tell you the truth my first season or two out I didn't think I would even xome close as I know I will be making mistakes in tracking and setting up my ground spots. . But all the help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Hi - hoping someone can answer this: my 12 year old daughter and I are planning to take the bow test tomorrow (with a crossbow with a hand crank for her)

we've already passed the shotgun test last year, will we have to take the non-bowhunting questions in the written test, or just the bow-specific items? 

Thanks, Alex

You may be able to skip the 40 initial question as they are the same, ask the instructor. If so, you can take just the 20 bow questions and the practical. Make sure she practices and knows her sights (scope) well.

Bring her shotgun cars with you and make sure to ask the instructor.