eshepp007

Feedback/Opinions on the NJ Second Amendment Society

What has the organization you are looking at gotten done? and never accept the line that without them things would be far worse, I have been a gun owner in this state for over thirty years, and the laws have always gotten worse regarding buying, owning, or shooting guns. Very minor details may have been tweeked to avoid really stupid laws, but other than that we have been losing power since I can remember. So again, ask what have they gotten done, specific, concrete changes either to make it easier to buy, own, carry, or shoot. If they can rattle off a list please share it here, and if they can, give them every dime you can spare.

One win was getting towns to comply with state law with regards to application procedures for FID cards. A lot of towns had (and some still have) extra forms and requirements which are illegal. NJ2AS was directly responsible for getting rid of a lot of those, making it easier to apply for FIDs and handgun purchase permits. 

Another win is the NICS checks. NICS was sliding down the crapper and NJ2AS did a campaign to fix it. It is not clear whether NJ2AS was solely responsible but the state police began communicating directly with members who had tweeted them about the NICS checks when it was fixed. So it does seem that NJ2AS helped a lot in this regard. 

EXCELLENT POINT!  And it actually highlights the double-edged sword of instant communication, and forums which produce OPINIONS instead of FACTS.  The Kids have to try and not "eat their own" in a wide-sweeping Keyboard Commando move.  It's time to "circle-the wagons", NOT look for reasons to mildly disagree.........

I can't RUN every organization that I belong to, nor would I even like to try.  Do some groups / associations do certain things better than others?  YES!  So that's why I support them ALL!

exactly

What has the organization you are looking at gotten done? and never accept the line that without them things would be far worse, I have been a gun owner in this state for over thirty years, and the laws have always gotten worse regarding buying, owning, or shooting guns. Very minor details may have been tweeked to avoid really stupid laws, but other than that we have been losing power since I can remember. So again, ask what have they gotten done, specific, concrete changes either to make it easier to buy, own, carry, or shoot. If they can rattle off a list please share it here, and if they can, give them every dime you can spare.

AMEN!  Freezin my butt off this past February was not my first trip to the state house in support of cleaning-up the mess that is NJ's gun laws.

You need to pay attention...many organizations exist more to keep their leadership employed than to do anything about fixing this mess 

Everybody has a different 'wish list'. Personally, I couldn't care less about the long-gun laws (I do think they're silly) as they don't affect me. I would like to see them challenge the state in court to make a CCW permit a realistic possibility. I did join NJ2AS and support them though, because it wasn't a lot of money and I believe any advancement of gun rights in NJ helps us.

AMEN!  Freezin my butt off this past February was not my first trip to the state house in support of cleaning-up the mess that is NJ's gun laws.

You need to pay attention...many organizations exist more to keep their leadership employed than to do anything about fixing this mess 

You may be right about some other organizations coughNRAcough but not NJ2AS. I don't think Frank is even paid for his position. And you can tell he wants results. He has definitely put his heart into it. 

As for the legislature - you have seen what goes on in there right? The system is rigged. Short of a massive shift in power they will still pass this crap. I get the feeling that Bloomberg and others have promised them campaign cash like he did for other people like Kane, the PA AG who is now stripping away CCW reciprocity. 

This thread is a good example of why we in NJ are doomed. Even within our own community we can't come together as a unified force. Too many people who don't care about specific 2A issues because that particular one doesn't apply to them individually. We leave each other hanging out to dry. Hunters who don't stand with us on magazine limits. Sportsmen who don't stand with us on CCW. Those with no interest in handguns who don't stand with us on OGAM. When will gun owners understand that ALL of these rights must be fought for if we hope to protect the ones that are of concern to us personally? The ability to fracture us into factions is how we got here in the first place.

I am a strict constitutionist when it comes to the 2A. It is not to be infringed. Period. I have no desire to ever own a caliber over .44 but that doesn't mean that I will accept limitation of OUR rights just because a .50 caliber restriction doesn't affect me personally.

The antis seem so much better at unifying. This is a big part of why they have been successful. We must stand together as a group so as to maximize our strength. NJ gun owners have a poor history of doing so. I am not optimistic that it will change. I am planning to leave NJ for good in the next few years. I am following others and more will follow me. I'm going somewhere that my neighbors tend to hold the same values dear that I do. Ill keep fighting and making my voice heard as long as i am here. After that, you're on your own. I'll be too busy in America.

Everybody has a different 'wish list'. Personally, I couldn't care less about the long-gun laws (I do think they're silly) as they don't affect me.

Wrong. We all should have the same whish list. Should be all encompassing covered under the " the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

How one choooses to exercise his "whish list" is a personal choice.

Read half the responses in this thread and you will have your answer why things have gotten worse in NJ over the years.  The general apathy and selective priorities are why we are where we are today.  Supposedly there are 1 million gun owners in NJ yet I doubt more than 5-10% vote to uphold their rights "because it doesn't affect them" (until it does and then it's too late).

Yeah don't think my lack of interest in AWB type issues means we shouldn't pursue them. I am not a 50cal shooter either but I strongly oppose the ban. In fact I think we should bring back machine guns (full auto) and suppressors/silencers. And of course I am for CCW as well since that is my interest. 

This thread is a good example of why we in NJ are doomed. Even within our own community we can't come together as a unified force. Too many people who don't care about specific 2A issues because that particular one doesn't apply to them individually. We leave each other hanging out to dry. Hunters who don't stand with us on magazine limits. Sportsmen who don't stand with us on CCW. Those with no interest in handguns who don't stand with us on OGAM. When will gun owners understand that ALL of these rights must be fought for if we hope to protect the ones that are of concern to us personally? The ability to fracture us into factions is how we got here in the first place.

I am a strict constitutionist when it comes to the 2A. It is not to be infringed. Period. I have no desire to ever own a caliber over .44 but that doesn't mean that I will accept limitation of OUR rights just because a .50 caliber restriction doesn't affect me personally.

The antis seem so much better at unifying. This is a big part of why they have been successful. We must stand together as a group so as to maximize our strength. NJ gun owners have a poor history of doing so. I am not optimistic that it will change. I am planning to leave NJ for good in the next few years. I am following others and more will follow me. I'm going somewhere that my neighbors tend to hold the same values dear that I do. Ill keep fighting and making my voice heard as long as i am here. After that, you're on your own. I'll be too busy in America.

True. Reminds me of the "first they came for..." Poem.

Everybody has a different 'wish list'. Personally, I couldn't care less about the long-gun laws (I do think they're silly) as they don't affect me.

This is the problem amongst gun owners. We can't unite because, "it doesn't affect me." How it doesn't affect you, is beyond me. Of course it affects you...

This is the problem amongst gun owners. We can't unite because, "it doesn't affect me." How it doesn't affect you, is beyond me. Of course it affects you...

This.. Think about one of the most effective anti-gun PR moves this year was MAIG's move of getting "hunters" on camera to support "common sense" gun laws. All of the anti groups have ONE goal to remove the "gun culture" from the USA. That is it and they will take anything we give them as as step towards that final goal, and they are winning..  

They are winning to the point that if we manage to get a new restriction watered down we call it a victory. An actual victory would a repeal of law that restricts our natural rights, all we have gotten so far for our best efforts is reduced defeats. 

I don't own long guns so quite frankly the whole "assault weapon" witch hunt doesen't affect me, but I joined and financially support NJ2AS because I see any advancement of gun rights is a good thing. THAT is what I said, so if your going to quote what I said, at least quote the whole thing. Maybe I wasn't clear - I'm of the opinion that we should all join and support them regardless of what law affects you. I only mentioned the long guns as an example that we all have different opinions on what gun laws we'd like to see changed, but any group that works to get ANY of OUR rights advanced deserves our support. I have zero interest in long guns, but I fully support your right to own them. Some may not have interest in CCW (I do), but we should all support an organization that's willing to fight for our rights, period. They are an association for the restoration of NJ gun rights, so they if you own any gun and live in NJ you should support them IMHO.