Anyone here consider yourself an expert at hunting them in New Jersey?  (Not anywhere else, please) 

Looking for some schooling on how to start learning to hunt these puppies.  The biggest obstacle I see at the moment is the regulations that say no "remote" electronic calls and no center fire rifles. 

• How close do they need to be for a fast efficient shotgun kill?
  • What's been your best technique in getting them to come into you close?
  • What type of cover?
  • How far have they gone after being shoot with a shotgun?
  • How many have you actually shot?  (Not looking for "I heard" or "I know a guy who")

I may be wrong (often am), but it seems to me open fields would be more difficult with a shotgun and getting them close then the woods would be, but don't really know.  I hate shooting at anything with a shotgun over 50 yards.  ('cept maybe a deer with a sabot out of a rifled barrel)

TIA

Anyone here consider yourself an expert at hunting them in New Jersey?  (Not anywhere else, please) 

Looking for some schooling on how to start learning to hunt these puppies.  The biggest obstacle I see at the moment is the regulations that say no "remote" electronic calls and no center fire rifles. 

• How close do they need to be for a fast efficient shotgun kill?
  • What's been your best technique in getting them to come into you close?
  • What type of cover?
  • How far have they gone after being shoot with a shotgun?
  • How many have you actually shot?  (Not looking for "I heard" or "I know a guy who")

I may be wrong (often am), but it seems to me open fields would be more difficult with a shotgun and getting them close then the woods would be, but don't really know.  I hate shooting at anything with a shotgun over 50 yards.  ('cept maybe a deer with a sabot out of a rifled barrel)

TIA

I can't offer much schooling since I haven't been successful yet. If the proposed regs. get approved for 2014, you will be able to hunt coyote with a rifle in New Jersey. Trappers are the most successful in this state, followed by those who hunt at night. (You will be able to use #4 buckshot at night under the new proposed regs.) Deadshot Coyote loads in HeviShot size "T" are said to be lethal out to 50 yds. provided your shotgun patterns them tightly. My friends swear by this load.

Reg. proposals -

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/notices/20130415a.html

Deer hunters are often accidentally successful during deer season since coyote will move with the additional hunters plodding about in the woods and they offer opportunity to undetected hunters sitting in their elevated treestand's. (I always saw coyote and fox during deer season, but always gave them a pass.) When I've hunted exclusively for them, I struggle. But, then that's why they call it hunting.

You can use electronic callers in NJ.

I've hunted for them specifically in NY with shotgun (#4 buckshot) and rifle. I've just started getting proficient using a rabbit in distress mouth call. I've never really focused on hunting them in New Jersey.

I can't offer much schooling since I haven't been successful yet. If the proposed regs. get approved for 2014, you will be able to hunt coyote with a rifle in New Jersey. Trappers are the most successful in this state, followed by those who hunt at night. (You will be able to use #4 buckshot at night under the new proposed regs.) Deadshot Coyote loads in HeviShot size "T" are said to be lethal out to 50 yds. provided your shotgun patterns them tightly. My friends swear by this load.

Reg. proposals -

Deer hunters are often accidentally successful during deer season since coyote will move with the additional hunters plodding about in the woods and they offer opportunity to undetected hunters sitting in their elevated treestand's. (I always saw coyote and fox during deer season, but always gave them a pass.) When I've hunted exclusively for them, I struggle. But, then that's why they call it hunting.

You can use electronic callers in NJ.

I've hunted for them specifically in NY with shotgun (#4 buckshot) and rifle. I've just started getting proficient using a rabbit in distress mouth call. I've never really focused on hunting them in New Jersey.

Thanks. 

I've been thinking about hunting them at night, using an electronic call.  I was aware the e callers were allowed,  just not the remote type that you place out 50 yards or so.  The regs call for them to be on with you at your stand or blind.  It would be great if NJ eventually allows rifles. 

Maybe someone will chime in who's spent some time specifically hunting these dogs. 

Thanks again.  /  BG

Thanks. 

I've been thinking about hunting them at night, using an electronic call.  I was aware the e callers were allowed,  just not the remote type that you place out 50 yards or so.  The regs call for them to be on with you at your stand or blind.  It would be great if NJ eventually allows rifles. 

Maybe someone will chime in who's spent some time specifically hunting these dogs. 

Thanks again.  /  BG

You can place the caller, wired or wireless, out from your stand. You can also use a decoy.

When they say in the regs. "a predator calling device must be in possession while hunting," it means if you are afield you should have a call in your possession. Otherwise, you might be doing something else. (And this is during the special coyote & fox season only.) You don't need a call in your possession during 6-day deer season. The same logic holds if you are crow hunting. If you are afield after regular small game season ends with camo and headnet, shotgun with appropriate ammo, and tell a CO that you're crow hunting but you have no crow calls, you may be suspected of doing something else. Another example: If you are out at night hunting raccoon, you better have a .22 or shotgun with appropriate ammo, a spotlight, and a brace of coonhounds to appear legit.

You can place the caller, wired or wireless, out from your stand. You can also use a decoy.

When they say in the regs. "a predator calling device must be in possession while hunting," it means if you are afield you should have a call in your possession. Otherwise, you might be doing something else. (And this is during the special coyote & fox season only.) You don't need a call in your possession during 6-day deer season. The same logic holds if you are crow hunting. If you are afield after regular small game season ends with camo and headnet, shotgun with appropriate ammo, and tell a CO that you're crow hunting but you have no crow calls, you may be suspected of doing something else. Another example: If you are out at night hunting raccoon, you better have a .22 or shotgun with appropriate ammo, a spotlight, and a brace of coonhounds to appear legit.

Excellent -- thanks. 

all good info above. there #1 sense is there sense of smell.  you can fool his eyes, you can fool his ears. you will not fool his nose. he will circle downwind of the source of noise. he will try to smell it before he trys to look for it. wind in your face, put your caller/decoy well ahead of you....40-50 yards. hopefully he walks into your lap.

Nick  

They do have a great sense of smell, matched by a great pair of eyes and a great pair of ears. I've spooked more from a distance that I didn't see because they usually saw me first. Because they are animals that both stalk prey and are opportunistic feeders, they locate game by all three senses.

An AVID hunter of dogs here.

• How close do they need to be for a fast efficient shotgun kill? (within 50 yards with T shot and full choke)
  • What's been your best technique in getting them to come into you close? (good luck! LOL!! Try to hunt over a stream or something to block your smell)
  • What type of cover? (any and all)
  • How far have they gone after being shoot with a shotgun? (Depends on the shot placement)
  • How many have you actually shot? (Not looking for "I heard" or "I know a guy who") (Shot 1 in 5 years, heard about 1000)....

Good luck, they dont call them wiley coyotes for nothng. There is nothing better than hunting at night under the moon.

Just wondering, why would anyone kill something they don't eat?

Because they are predators.  As their population explodes, the prey disappears.  We normally hunt the prey - deer, rabbit, pheasant, quail, squirrel, etc.  It's basically a way to keep the prey/predator ratio stable.

Some people sell the furs.

I have always heard that our eliminating the coyote here in Jersey (until very recently) led to an explosion of deer, rabbits, and squirrels, and the parasites that feed on them, namely ticks.

Not just the coyotes but all the top predators being either eliminated or their populations drastically reduced has caused an overabundance of prey animals. When ever there is an over population of animals disease is sure to follow. Look at the red fox population in NJ, due to very few natural predators and a lack of fur trapping because of a lack if demand for fur had caused an overpopulation and now mange is rampant In the fox population. we really need to restore the natural balance of predators and prey in this state or open more land to hunting or in the future we may have mass die offs of diseased animals in NJ.

The coyote's predator is the wolf, which keeps their population in check in other parts of the U.S. And there are no plans to introduce them here in New Jersey, so there needs to be a check in place to balance things out. The gray wolf existed in New Jersey up until 1850. They've been extirpated for quite some time now. It's up to man to maintain those checks and balances.

If you research furbearer data published by the state, coyotes have only recently appeared in New Jersey in the last fifty years. They never existed here before based on DNA evidence and research conducted by biologists.

I can't offer much schooling since I haven't been successful yet. If the proposed regs. get approved for 2014, you will be able to hunt coyote with a rifle in New Jersey.

Reg. proposals -

According to the proposal, it'll be legal to hunt coyotes with an AR.  My friend shot a couple coyotes last year early in the winter.  One was incidental to going out and putting corn around his tree stand.  He had his .22LR with him because he also had traps set for other animals and the gun is to dispatch any live animals in the traps.  This wasn't us going hunting coyote, we just so happened to come across one.

From what I understand, most coyotes are scared of humans and should run away, but this one wanted to eat us for dinner. We came across one coyote apparently chowing down on something caught in my friends trap.   I was there.  This one was vicious, growled at us, showing its teeth and began walking towards us. We started backing off, but it kept coming for us. 

He shot it once right in the head, and it wobbled, and then continued on its slow but aggressive walk towards us.  Bam, another shot, hit in the neck.  This time it fell, but then got back up within 15 seconds.  Shoots it again, another head shot, and it continues walking towards us.  At this point, it's still standing, face covered in blood, blood running out of its mouth.  He squeezes off another round, almost at point blank range, another head shot, and the coyote falls...He pokes it with the barrel of the gun and it bites the barrel of the gun!  We backed off and let it sit/die for a good half hour until we were sure it was dead. 

I don't know if we had a zombie coyote or what, but it was insane.  4 head shots with a .22lr to take it down.  I told him next time we're taking something bigger with us.  Again, we weren't out to hunt coyotes, this was just a case of self defense. 

Link- Dead coyote picture(I figure not everyone would want to see bloody/dead animal pictures):

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz342/awdm2/E320268E-FB62-43D3-9CD7-47C25D5E0564-24177-000016949C52825B_zpsa4a3f4fc.jpg

He called to let F&W know about it, left a message and never heard anything back. 

So, in the proposal it says it will allow hunting coyote with .22LR, but I urge anyone going to use a semi-auto .22lr...you will need multiple shots to take the coyote down. 

According to the proposal, it'll be legal to hunt coyotes with an AR.  My friend shot a couple coyotes last year early in the winter.  One was incidental to going out and putting corn around his tree stand.  He had his .22LR with him because he also had traps set for other animals and the gun is to dispatch any live animals in the traps.  This wasn't us going hunting coyote, we just so happened to come across one.

From what I understand, most coyotes are scared of humans and should run away, but this one wanted to eat us for dinner. We came across one coyote apparently chowing down on something caught in my friends trap.   I was there.  This one was vicious, growled at us, showing its teeth and began walking towards us. We started backing off, but it kept coming for us. 

He shot it once right in the head, and it wobbled, and then continued on its slow but aggressive walk towards us.  Bam, another shot, hit in the neck.  This time it fell, but then got back up within 15 seconds.  Shoots it again, another head shot, and it continues walking towards us.  At this point, it's still standing, face covered in blood, blood running out of its mouth.  He squeezes off another round, almost at point blank range, another head shot, and the coyote falls...He pokes it with the barrel of the gun and it bites the barrel of the gun!  We backed off and let it sit/die for a good half hour until we were sure it was dead. 

I don't know if we had a zombie coyote or what, but it was insane.  4 head shots with a .22lr to take it down.  I told him next time we're taking something bigger with us.  Again, we weren't out to hunt coyotes, this was just a case of self defense. 

Link- Dead coyote picture(I figure not everyone would want to see bloody/dead animal pictures):

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz342/awdm2/E320268E-FB62-43D3-9CD7-47C25D5E0564-24177-000016949C52825B_zpsa4a3f4fc.jpg

He called to let F&W know about it, left a message and never heard anything back. 

So, in the proposal it says it will allow hunting coyote with .22LR, but I urge anyone going to use a semi-auto .22lr...you will need multiple shots to take the coyote down. 

Just so you know only .22 short is legal to use in NJ while trapping not .22LR

The coyote's predator is the wolf, which keeps their population in check in other parts of the U.S. And there are no plans to introduce them here in New Jersey, so there needs to be a check in place to balance things out. The gray wolf existed in New Jersey up until 1850. They've been extirpated for quite some time now. It's up to man to maintain those checks and balances.

If you research furbearer data published by the state, coyotes have only recently appeared in New Jersey in the last fifty years. They never existed here before based on DNA evidence and research conducted by biologists.

The first report of coyotes in NJ was in 1939 in Lambertville according to NJ fish and wildlife. Also mountain lions were the other natural predator of them.

Just so you know only .22 short is legal to use in NJ while trapping not .22LR

I didn't inspect his rifle to see what rounds he was actually using, I just know it was a .22 rifle.  They could have very well been shorts. 

I guess he was wrong in loading more than 3 rounds, but I'm glad he had that many as that coyote was coming towards us still after the third shot. 

But, thank you for that information.

I didn't inspect his rifle to see what rounds he was actually using, I just know it was a .22 rifle.  They could have very well been shorts. 

I guess he was wrong in loading more than 3 rounds, but I'm glad he had that many as that coyote was coming towards us still after the third shot. 

But, thank you for that information.

If he was using .22 shorts that might explain why 1 shot to the head did not kill it

If he was using .22 shorts that might explain why 1 shot to the head did not kill it

Yeah, this was what I was thinking after someone mentioned the legality above.  Makes sense. 

It may have had rabies or something...that may be why it was aggressive.  Or trying to protect its food. 

Would be nice if NJ allowed a sportsman carry of a handgun...that would have worked alot better than a .22. 

Unfortunately the farm he hunted at got sold, and the new owners are developers who want to build age restricted homes.  It's a shame because of the loss of habitat for the wildlife.  It used to be a corn farm, but the owner passed away and has sat unused for several years.  Now there are a ton of rabbits in the field around and it's a prime place for coyote hunting at night.  We even found a fox carcass the one day, it had got eaten by something(I'd imagine a coyote).  Still a good bit of deer around, but the numbers have definitely dropped since the corn farming stopped. 

"extirpated" , love that word!

Add the Eastern cougar, freshwater mussel (Eastern Pearlshell,) North Atlantic gray whale, rusty patched bumble bee, and the trout perch to that list. (Believe it or not, it is speculated Eastern cougar moved out due to the low deer numbers in the state!)

Add the Eastern cougar, freshwater mussel (Eastern Pearlshell,) North Atlantic gray whale, rusty patched bumble bee, and the trout perch to that list. (Believe it or not, it is speculated Eastern cougar moved out due to the low deer numbers in the state!)

I've heard they are guessing now that eventually the cougar will be back in PA, NY and NJ...  though it may not be the eastern subspecies, but the western.