AlexTheSane

Just got back from applying for permits

I just came back from the Sayreville PD.  While chatting with the woman processing my application, I mentioned something about extensions.  She told me that the NJSP has asked them not to give any more extensions unless someone has a receipt for a handgun.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Bogus meter just went off the scale!

No, and on the paperwork I received directly from the NJSP thay clearly state that you can apply for as many permits as you would like and you have 90 days in which to use them and that you can ask for an extension if needed.

My wife and I purchased one gun each and our second permit was about to expire.  I called the firearms unit and the lady who handles this asked for the date of the permits.  She gave me a specific day to come in for the extension.  I brought the permits over the the PD and she got the chief to sign them immediately.  This is in Marlboro where I find the PD to be gun friendly.

They are often just talking out of their asses to make it more difficult for us.  My town's website clearly says fingerprints are only required if the applicant hast had any activity on file for over 2 years, but last time I applied they told me that its been 2 years since my last prints and Ill have to be reprinted the next time I apply, even though ive had activity/applied for p2p.

The statute does state "may be renewed by the issuing authority", so in the end local PD is not required to renew for 180 days total. 

And therein lies the rub. Since renewal is discretionary, the issuing authority can set any criteria they desire. There is absolutely nothing the NJSP can do to change that situation, so save yourself the phone all and the embarrassment.  Your local PD is fully within their rights to set any criteria. A talk to the chief may not hurt, but do not go into it thinking you have force of law on your side.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

And therein lies the rub. Since renewal is discretionary, the issuing authority can set any criteria they desire. There is absolutely nothing the NJSP can do to change that situation, so save yourself the phone all and the embarrassment.  Your local PD is fully within their rights to set any criteria. A talk to the chief may not hurt, but do not go into it thinking you have force of law on your side.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As I've recounted before,my first set of permits when moving to Monroe were extended with only a short note as to why I needed the extension submitted. The second set came with a reminder that no extensions were to be considered without a receipt or verifiable invoice proving that a firearm was  already paid for and on back order. Why is anybody's guess but I suspect an overly cautious CLEO.