Sign in to follow this  
mipafox

Finally installed HDMI cables on 6 year old plasma

Holy crap. I had no idea it would actually give me a picture like this. I thought it was just old and not a very high quality TV. It's a 50" Panasonic and the picture is amazing.

Guess I am a little behind the curve.

Action News Philly just came on when I walked in the room and I almost broke leather on one of the fine citizens of Philadelphia that popped up on the screen. I thought he came in through the window.

I definitely noticed a huge difference when I upgraded to HDMI's on my Xbox 360 over the RCA's.  Unfortunately the TV only has one HDMI port so I had to get a splitter device to add in the cable box and one from my computer(watch movies right from the computer). 

I dont know the model of your panasonic, but in my opinion the panasonic plasma have the best over all picture and the blacks are very good. I have a Panasonic Plasma 50" and love it. I have several 46" Samsung LED LCD and i hate the picture. of course all have HDMI, Dont use the RF coax, or Composite input. You can get a fairly decent picture with compoment, but HDMI is the way to go.

I dont know the model of your panasonic, but in my opinion the panasonic plasma have the best over all picture and the blacks are very good. I have a Panasonic Plasma 50" and love it. I have several 46" Samsung LED LCD and i hate the picture. of course all have HDMI, Dont use the RF coax, or Composite input. You can get a fairly decent picture with compoment, but HDMI is the way to go.

My friend has a Samsung LED TV and I think it has the best picture out of any TV I've ever seen.  It almost feels like you are the camera guy when watching TV :lol:

I dont know the model of your panasonic, but in my opinion the panasonic plasma have the best over all picture and the blacks are very good.

You're telling me! I almost drew down on one!

This thing was supposed to be really good when I bought it but at the time the HD box was very expensive. You wouldn't believe out cable infrastructure here, cable internet was what they call "one way" until a couple years ago. Which is amazing considering this is where Cable TV was invented and first offered since the 1940s, and I have 3 or 4 cable companies to choose from.

If you like it now, just wait till football season! I also have a Panasonic Viera 42. Plasmas actually track fast action better than a lot of lcd TV's do. The only negative is they can throw off a lot of heat. Mine's in our bedroom and in the summer it warms the room noticeably.

Slapmyfro - it's in the living room. No worries.

I just hope you didn't pay $40 for the hdmi cable.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cable was free. Cable company came out and the nosy fucker demanded to see all my TVs on so he could make sure the pictures were good. I looked out back and saw the trench I dug over the weekend was full of water and I just polished my boots last night, so I let him turn on all my TVs. He helped me take the plasma apart from the mount so we could hook up the cables.

If it makes you guys feel better, I'm still using tube TVs. My parents have modern stuff but I don't feel like upgrading. Doesn't bother me except when playing Skyrim, the text displays crazy small and I can't read it.

I was playing House of the Dead 2 on my Dreamcast recently too.

you connected a plasma TV with RCA cables?  wow..  component cables I could understand, but not RCA cables..  lol.. 

Component cables and RCA cables are the same connector. Component should have better shielding, but that depends on whose RCA cables you have. 97% of mine were free and wouldn't do video well, but I do have some really good ones that will do component just fine. Still prefer HDMI for ease of use, especially given the HDCP crap. 

If it makes you guys feel better, I'm still using tube TVs. My parents have modern stuff but I don't feel like upgrading. Doesn't bother me except when playing Skyrim, the text displays crazy small and I can't read it.

I was playing House of the Dead 2 on my Dreamcast recently too.

Ain't no gaming unit better than a DreamCast.  Marvel VS Capcom :gaming:

Component cables and RCA cables are the same connector. Component should have better shielding, but that depends on whose RCA cables you have. 97% of mine were free and wouldn't do video well, but I do have some really good ones that will do component just fine. Still prefer HDMI for ease of use, especially given the HDCP crap. 

Depends, RCA is the actual connector like you said... but then you have composite and component cables.. They are both completely useless unless your trying to hook up something older. A cheap HDMI cable will work just as good as a quality component cable.

A cheap HDMI cable will work just as good as a quality component cable.

agreed..  i have nothing but HDMI..  at least on my plasma..  have a 35" tube in the bedroom though, as im spending all my money on ammo..  lol..  eventually ill get a cheap 32" flat screen down there...

Broadcast engineer here.

HDMI is a good quality, high bandwidth solution for consumer stuff, but if you ask me it's far more complex than it needs to be, mostly because of DRM support. In the studio/field, we deal with uncompressed HD via HD-SDI- which we run over regular ol' coax with BNC connectors. Which is why I have to laugh at people who insist on gold plated, gas injected HDMI cables for that last 6 feet between the cable box and the TV- that signal traveled through hundreds of feet of coax before it even got to your house.

As an interesting aside, if you live in an area with decent reception, try hooking up an antenna and comparing the picture quality to cable- the antenna will give you better picture, since it hasn't been subjected to compression by the cable company to save bandwidth.

That's if you can get a digital signal.  I've tried using a powered digital antenna and I'm in Linden - not far from NYC.  I can't get a lot of the local channels.... too much interference in the way (buildings, etc.)  Can't do an external antenna either.... cable is so much simpler.