iRescue

NJ Home Carry Options, Advice and Discussion 2013

Hi All,

I think many not only on here, but across the state were upset and angered after the video about the Millburn violent break in was released Monday.

I know it lit a fire under my rear to look at how I can better protect myself and my wife at home.

So what are you doing differently?

Me. I want to begin home carry. Every day when in home, I want to have my handgun at my side.

Any tips for properly carrying a baby glock while wearing athletic shorts (normal summer wear at home for me)

I also will be working with the Mrs to get her more comfortable on the guns.

IMO a baby glock is never going to be held up by a pair of athletic shorts. In that sort of attire I carry a smaller/lighter gun in a small generic blackhawk iwb holster. Size 0 or 1 iirc.

Should hold up if you got a carry belt and owb holster. This way you can take the belt off when you need to and the gun will always be on it. like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-Patroltek-Nylon-Police-Tactical-Inner-Belt-8105-/280674443068?pt=US_Women_s_Belts&var=&hash=item4159801f3c

i just told mom that as soon as her paperwork comes through, and she gets her p22, i'm getting her a holster, and defensive shooting lessons. then i'm gonna drag her to an outdoor range every weekend, to make sure she practices.

i shall have a holster for my ria 1911cs, and will be wearing it constantly at home now. right now, when i get home, i load my remington 1911, and keep it in easy reach, as i don't have a holster for that one.

The only reason why I have my bodyguard 380 is for keeping it around me when I'm out in my kitchen or family room. I normally don't wear it inside but when I'm outside it's always on me. I'm trying to get my wife and mother into shooting. My mom is on board, wife not so much. Maybe her watching the video will change things.

On a personal side note: That dude needs to be shot. Not jailed, not paroled. Shot, point blank, in the head. Multiple times. Anybody who would do that to another human is a P.O.S.

This thread will be great. A year ago there was a good thread about where in the house you keep it (along with funny pictures of rifles in showers). But this thread about carrying while wearing gym shorts or mowing the lawn will be good

That video was a turning point for my wife.  After watching it yesterday she came to me and said "we have those guns upstairs in the safe and they are useless to me, I need to learn how to use them"

I couldn't agree more.

I feel for that woman and her family, but this is a great learning tool for us. We hear of home invasions but never SEE them. This changs the game. We need to use this to help others protect themselves and stop being sheeple thinking the police will be there when you need them.

I wonder though...if the lady assaulted did have a gun and used it, she would have the video to back up the incident.  For those of us not running baby cams inside the house, what happens to us if we did the same?  It would be word against word.

Frankly, I'm nervous that the legal support that exists for criminals in a robbery/invasion/trespassing scenario is so stacked against us.

If somebody busts in and comes at my family, and he gets shot dead, the relatives would come after me financially.  If I shoot him in the leg as a deterrent, he very well may end up owning my house after the lawsuit.

What do you think?

I wonder though...if the lady assaulted did have a gun and used it, she would have the video to back up the incident. For those of us not running baby cams inside the house, what happens to us if we did the same? It would be word against word.

Frankly, I'm nervous that the legal support that exists for criminals in a robbery/invasion/trespassing scenario is so stacked against us.

If somebody busts in and comes at my family, and he gets shot dead, the relatives would come after me financially. If I shoot him in the leg as a deterrent, he very well may end up owning my house after the lawsuit.

What do you think?

Shoot him in the leg? Real life is not hollywood. You shoot to stop center mass if it is given. Are you going to worry about material things when lives arre at stake? The problem with people today is they are worried about what material things they can lose.

Shoot him in the leg? Real life is not hollywood. You shoot to stop center mass if it is given. Are you going to worry about material things when lives arre at stake? The problem with people today is they are worried about what material things they can lose.

I see your point, but my accuracy in that situation may not be ideal.  It isn't something I can practice at the range.

What if I just would him and he limps outside, police arrive and arrest him, but then he finds a lawyer.  Now I need a better lawyer at $400 an hour and up just to try to avoid losing a suit.

There is a difference between material things like the TV and material things like the entire house, etc.

CONCEALED OR OPEN?

NJ does not distinguish between open and concealed carry. Carry is carry.

I wouldn't mow my lawn with an AR strapped on my back due to the likelihood of someone calling the police on me, but you could. I am not a lawyer, but from what from what I read on justifiable use of deadly force you must be in your dwelling. Personally, If I'm retreating and being chased by an armed assailant on my property, I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

I have an inside waistband holster for my subcompact. With a t-shirt it's only noticeable if you bend over.

I wonder though...if the lady assaulted did have a gun and used it, she would have the video to back up the incident.  For those of us not running baby cams inside the house, what happens to us if we did the same?  It would be word against word.

If somebody busts in and comes at my family, and he gets shot dead, the relatives would come after me financially.  If I shoot him in the leg as a deterrent, he very well may end up owning my house after the lawsuit.

What do you think?

If some skel kicks in your door and you pop him, what loss of income are they going to come after you for? The money he'd make from fencing your stuff to a pawn shop? If they filed I'd assume it would get tossed, but who knows in our lawsuit happy society. :unknw:

In addition to home carry many people forget about the basics such a strong doors, door bolts and having a kick plate. Also making sure all windows and doors are locked during the day when you are home. Another thing to think about is a safe room where you can hold up and call the police if there is trouble. If its a nightime scenario you can add outdoor security cameras and motion sensor lights and keep the feed in your safe room to see what is going on. I hope this helps!

They could use for loss of consortium (look it up), and wrongful death.  It doesn't have to be about loss of income for a civil suit. 

Has anyone ever heard of a real case where a home invader's family sued for civil liability?  This seems more urban legend than anything else.  Plaintiff's lawyers typically work on contingency in these types of cases, and any reasonable attorney wouldn't bother to spend the time and money on a case like that.  Seems like a clear loser.  Then again.  I see some real crap cases all the time, so I guess nothing would surprise me.

Lawyers are expensive, but, in a case like that, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get someone to give you a discounted rate or pro bono.  Just don't expect to get Johnny Cochran on your team.  Instead you'll just get a smart, young associate eager to try his first case (like me).

If you shoot someone in your home, expect to spend at minimum $30k to defend yourself in both civil and criminal court. You should not take the decision to use deadly force lightly, HOWEVER, if it is needed to defend yourself or your family, the price is irrelevant.

Has anyone ever heard of a real case where a home invader's family sued for civil liability? This seems more urban legend than anything else.

O.J. Simpson. ;-). Thankfully, he's trying to find the real killer... even after all these years... And from behind bars...

Thank you all for the responses so far..I think the various home invasion scenarios and legality of home carry has been addressed on here several times...hoping to get us back on track.

Home Carry.

What holsters do you use if you carry on body. I'm looking for some sort of good quality belly band to wear when I'm hanging around in athletic shorts (my thought ill be more likely to consistently carry if I can continue wearing my normal attire.

If you just carry nearby [couch table, bookcase,,etc) what do you put it in?

Regarding Bellybands - In my experience bellyband type holsters just plain suck except for a very few, very specific set of circumstances where they "may" be necessary to accomplish your concealment needs. Carrying in your home isn't really one of them. They are uncomfortable and slow to draw from, little to no retention, inconsistent draw... Did I mention that they are uncomfortable and slow?

I think a fanny pack would make the most sense for what you are saying you want with the limitations you are stating. Athletic shorts are going to be tough to carry in. Loose waistband, minimal pockets, no provision for a belt. If you are serious about it you may need to dress around your carry style. With certain clothing choices you can design a carry method around the clothes. Unfortunately athletic shorts really don't give you a lot of options to work with.

I just bought a Clipdraw for my G19 and am testing it out around the house. For "heightened" situations like power outages (Sandy), I had it in a belt-mounted BlackHawk along with a 2 mag pouch for a total of 45 rounds on my person. Backup mags are placed safetly in hidden locations throughout the house.

i just told mom that as soon as her paperwork comes through, and she gets her p22, i'm getting her a holster, and defensive shooting lessons. then i'm gonna drag her to an outdoor range every weekend, to make sure she practices.

i shall have a holster for my ria 1911cs, and will be wearing it constantly at home now. right now, when i get home, i load my remington 1911, and keep it in easy reach, as i don't have a holster for that one.