iRescue

NJ Home Carry Options, Advice and Discussion 2013

No problem, glad to help.

Now, the LCP. ***This is my opinion and not meant to start "Caliber War 2013"***

Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of the .380 ACP round for personal defense. It has a propensity for under-penetration. I mitigate this somewhat by using FMJ/ball ammo. I was looking for a small pistol to carry for a specific purpose and I was able to pick this up for under $200. I don't carry this as a primary (I did today as an experiment and truth be told, I had a service caliber pistol nearby all day as well). I bought it to be a tertiary BUG and it fits that role ok. I found today that it fits another role as well ;) - "Lazy day around the house in comfy shorts carry". The sights are nothing more than nubs, and while I qualify with it from 25 yards in so I can carry it, it isn't easy and I don't shoot my best scores with it. The trigger is mediocre at best with a ridiculously long press before releasing the sear to break the shot and it has acountry mile of trigger reset. I know the limitations of this round in this platform and have based how I carry and intend to use it accordingly. This is not a gun to go looking for trouble with, but it is better than harsh language if I need it because I can't get to the other two guns on my body while at work.

I had an opportunity to shoot the S&W Bodyguard, unfortunately it was after I bought the LCP. I prefer the S&W all day long. It has a thumb safety makes pocket carry safer, trigger is better, and it has real sights. If you are looking for a small, lightweight, sub-caliber pistol to fit a niche role I suggest the S&W Bodyguard over the LCP.

Hmm. After reading several reviews...I think I need to start hunting for a BODYGUARD380. You made some great points on both that and the fact that I may have to make changes to my wardrobe. I'll be following your good advice.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No problem, glad to help.

Now, the LCP. ***This is my opinion and not meant to start "Caliber War 2013"***

Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of the .380 ACP round for personal defense. It has a propensity for under-penetration. I mitigate this somewhat by using FMJ/ball ammo. I was looking for a small pistol to carry for a specific purpose and I was able to pick this up for under $200. I don't carry this as a primary (I did today as an experiment and truth be told, I had a service caliber pistol nearby all day as well). I bought it to be a tertiary BUG and it fits that role ok. I found today that it fits another role as well ;) - "Lazy day around the house in comfy shorts carry". The sights are nothing more than nubs, and while I qualify with it from 25 yards in so I can carry it, it isn't easy and I don't shoot my best scores with it. The trigger is mediocre at best with a ridiculously long press before releasing the sear to break the shot and it has acountry mile of trigger reset. I know the limitations of this round in this platform and have based how I carry and intend to use it accordingly. This is not a gun to go looking for trouble with, but it is better than harsh language if I need it because I can't get to the other two guns on my body while at work.

I had an opportunity to shoot the S&W Bodyguard, unfortunately it was after I bought the LCP. I prefer the S&W all day long. It has a thumb safety makes pocket carry safer, trigger is better, and it has real sights. If you are looking for a small, lightweight, sub-caliber pistol to fit a niche role I suggest the S&W Bodyguard over the LCP.

really how much lighter are these guns than my 27? I always find myself looking at little pocket guns due to the comfort of carry... but then always end up just sticking with my 27 because I believe it will work every time.. 

Ruger LCP 11.95oz loaded

Kahr PM9 18.70oz loaded*

Glock 27 27oz loaded

* For comparison sake I weighed my Kahr PM9 as well.

I would not stop garrying a G27 to carry an LCP/Bodyguard/or any sub caliber gun, as a primary gun. I don't even like carrying a G27 or Kahr as a primary gun, but have if that is what fits the bill... but that is another topic.

The LCP fits a specific role in my carry setup. Looking back I would have preferred the Bodyguard .380 but the Ruger gets it done.

I agree with High Exposure. Even my G26 is about 26 oz loaded while it appears the bodyguard comes in at around 15.

my anticipated set up for home defense/carry is:

Everyday will be either my g26 or g19 in crossbreed holster).

For days when I'm super tired or working late and only be up for a little while: I'll roll a bodyguard380 in the nemesis holster.

And of course: once I'm ready for bed all those go away in the safe and out comes the bigger gun.

I know having pocket guns seems silly in NJ since you can only home carry for us non LEO, but I'm hoping to move to America proper sometime in the future.

OP, Check out the shield too, its a little bigger but a great carry gun.. Its very narrow, i believe almost a half inch smaller than a sc glock...(width wise)

thanks I'll have to give that a look. Buddy of mine just scooped one up.

Hi All,

I think many not only on here, but across the state were upset and angered after the video about the Millburn violent break in was released Monday.

I know it lit a fire under my rear to look at how I can better protect myself and my wife at home.

So what are you doing differently?

Me. I want to begin home carry. Every day when in home, I want to have my handgun at my side.

Any tips for properly carrying a baby glock while wearing athletic shorts (normal summer wear at home for me)

I also will be working with the Mrs to get her more comfortable on the guns.

See, I think the main problem behind this can be like most of the times people used to forget about the main things such a strong doors, door bolts. Also making sure all windows and doors are locked during the day when you are home. Plus to think about some place or an emergancy place from where you can call the police if you are in trouble. And lastly the most important time i.e in the night time you can add outdoor security cameras.

I hope my suggestion would help you all at least a bit.

I agree with everyone that guns are simply a layer in your protection plan.

I am also implementing hardware changes to my entryways.

I also have two 70lb + dogs that someone would have to contend with. Guns are just part of my plan. I hope to never have to use them.

I figured this was the thread to post this question/concern. If nobody sees it i'll make a new thread.

I am a fairly new handgun owner and after some range time and understanding function im feeling comfortable while still being caucious. I have been home carrying for about a week sometimes concealed sometimes owb with full mag and nothing in the chamber. My girlfriend of 10 years (lived with for 4 years) is certainly giving me mixed messages.

Last night she said " can you take that thing off and go put gym shorts on and get comfortable. Why do you need to carry it on your hip? I tried to explain that it is comfortable and It needs to be accessible to serve its purpose. Yes she grew up in a safe neighborly town where bad shit usually happens the next town over and every one thinks they are in a safety bubble. (we all know it dosen't matter what town you live in)

Other times she will say "i will try to ignore the gun, its fine"....

I don't want to upset her and i certainly don't want her to feel uncomfortable. Anyone else have similar issues??

This turned into a very small argument. I don't want to upset her or make her nervous in

she has not yet but she will soon. i think she is nervous about it at this moment. I didnt get into the different conditions but i said it will not fire until i pull the slide back very hard. I did not remove the mag and demo this for her because i did not want to further her being uncomfortable. 

Start her off shooting a .22 pistol first.

I have found that timid first time shooters feel much more comfortable doing this for a while before working them up to something larger.

Show her the Millburn home invasion video.

ok. i'll definately show it to her. I don't have a .22 pistol i only have the 9mm. but maybe i can find someone who goes to brick armory that will accommodate us and let her shoot a bit. I'll be putting in for more permits as soon as I can get to hamilton. Thanks for your input, Is this a common thing? for others

I figured this was the thread to post this question/concern. If nobody sees it i'll make a new thread.

I am a fairly new handgun owner and after some range time and understanding function im feeling comfortable while still being caucious. I have been home carrying for about a week sometimes concealed sometimes owb with full mag and nothing in the chamber. My girlfriend of 10 years (lived with for 4 years) is certainly giving me mixed messages.

Last night she said " can you take that thing off and go put gym shorts on and get comfortable. Why do you need to carry it on your hip? I tried to explain that it is comfortable and It needs to be accessible to serve its purpose. Yes she grew up in a safe neighborly town where bad shit usually happens the next town over and every one thinks they are in a safety bubble. (we all know it dosen't matter what town you live in)

Other times she will say "i will try to ignore the gun, its fine"....

I don't want to upset her and i certainly don't want her to feel uncomfortable. Anyone else have similar issues??

This turned into a very small argument. I don't want to upset her or make her nervous in

for me the idea is to have a gun accessible at all times...  it may not be literally on me.. but it will instead be in very close proximity to me..... in fact in many instances it is an AR15 and not a pistol at all... carrying a gun in your home literally all the time would probably get annoying.. 

See, I think the main problem behind this can be like most of the times people used to forget about the main things such a strong doors, door bolts. Also making sure all windows and doors are locked during the day when you are home. Plus to think about some place or an emergancy place from where you can call the police if you are in trouble. And lastly the most important time i.e in the night time you can add outdoor security cameras.

I hope my suggestion would help you all at least a bit.

Nothing wrong with strong door's , there is something wrong with suggesting that we be prisoners in our own homes during the day.

It's clear your girlfriend doesn't like guns. Act accordingly. 

NO, see thats the thing. she has no problem with guns at all and she verbally expresses it.  We have compromised since then and she wants to go shoot with me so she isnt nervous anymore. thanks everyone for your input

Take her too an outdoor range if at all possible.  Even with muffs an indoor range might scare her.

Good point.  My wife really enjoys shooting at Cherry Ridge.  But, even though she has good ear protection, the concussion caused by larger guns gets to her at an indoor range.

in the waist band its crossbreed definitely

I disagree. Sooo many good holsters out there for IWB that are better deal then crossbreed. I carry an xdm compact in a panther concealment holster and alien holsters makes a premium hybrid cross breed holster for less then half the price.

I carry a pm9 in a galco soft tuck or tagua leather single clip.

Nice living in a carry state and learning what's really out there.

I actually like my hidden hybrid holster a lot.  It was much cheaper than a crossbreed and its a hybrid IWB/OWB.  Perfect for a little pistol like the Shield I have...http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com/

I did a ton of research aboul holsters before deciding on that one..

Just to add.... I had a Kahr CM/PM9 and I like the Shield MUCH MUCH better!

Edit: Sorry, HAD a Kahr, but sold it for the Shield.

I actually like my hidden hybrid holster a lot.  It was much cheaper than a crossbreed and its a hybrid IWB/OWB.  Perfect for a little pistol like the Shield I have...http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com/

I did a ton of research aboul holsters before deciding on that one..

Just to add.... I have a Kahr CM/PM9 and I like the Shield MUCH MUCH better!

Sometimes I need to pocket carry down here in cargo shorts and shield def won't work.

I prefer my xdm compact .40 when I can.

Do you carry every day?

Sometimes I need to pocket carry down here in cargo shorts and shield def won't work.

I prefer my xdm compact .40 when I can.

Do you carry every day?

No def not, no CCW here lol :(

I used to carry in PA a lot though....   Hardly ever anymore, maybe just around the property here and there... and never in PA thanks to their new law.