JLF

Any reviews of .22lr Eley Subsonic40 gr. HP?

Sure I could google it and I have but I'd prefer to also check with you guys and see if anyone has toyed around with this particular brand of ammo at all?

And if you have did you use it for a pistol or a rifle? I have a semi auto rifle and I'm trying to decide if I should just look else where?

I'm very familiar with the brand.  Eley makes some of the most accurate, ultrapremium 22LR ammo around (and target .22 is always subsonic).

That said, I've not used this particular variety of Eley ammo--it's a few levels down the Eley hierarchy.   But I'd not hesitate to try it--it's a very reputable brand.

Wow, that is pretty damn expensive for some .22LR. 

The only brand of subsonic .22LR I've tried are : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386774/aguila-superextra-ammunition-22-long-rifle-subsonic-38-grain-lead-hollow-point-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50

They DO NOT cycle at all in the P22 or the AR bolt kit, and from my understanding most subsonic won't cycle in semi-auto due to the velocity and energy?  You might want to look that up.

If you need ammo, I can definitely sell you some CCI Mini-Mags at 1/4 the price per round of Ely. 

If its eley it's match grade ammo which used to go anywhere from 9 dollars a box of 50 to 17 dollars a box. This stuff is ultra accurate I use Remington match in my ruger mkii and it cycles fine. With the toughness of finding any 22 lr 18 dollars a box for match isn't too bad. This is the stuff that Olympic shoots shoot and serious bullseye shooters maybe not that level for matches but for practice

If its eley it's match grade ammo which used to go anywhere from 9 dollars a box of 50 to 17 dollars a box. This stuff is ultra accurate I use Remington match in my ruger mkii and it cycles fine. With the toughness of finding any 22 lr 18 dollars a box for match isn't too bad. This is the stuff that Olympic shoots shoot and serious bullseye shooters maybe not that level for matches but for practice

Well I am certainly not looking for match quality ammo that's for darn sure. I just stumbled on a site that had this in stock and thought WOW available 22lr...

Please don't pay .36/round for .22lr unless you're looking for something very specific. Still that would be nuts.Take loco's offer or post a WTB and somebody close to you will help you out.

Well I'm glad I have you guys around to tell me this stuff cause I'm clueless and would otherwise get hosed. I've seem it for double that per round too...what price is the right range for this particular ammo?

Funny thing is, Eley competition grade ammo (they make a number of flavors) has only gone up in price a little bit since the craziness began, and it's one of the easiest brands to find.   Probably because it was so expensive to begin with.   Tenex, their top of the line stuff, was about $17 for a box of 50 a year ago, and it's $20-22 now.  Big bucks, but a fairly small % increase.  Even Cheaper than Dirt has it for $23-24.   Compare this to low end stuff, the cheap plinking ammo we all miss so much.   Thunderbolt, Wildcat, etc were $2 for 50 not that long ago, and now it's hard to find under $4, it's commonly $6 or more online, and Cheaper than Dirt has it for about $15.  Huge markups on the cheap ammo.

The high end ammo isn't for everyone, but if you can make good use of the accuracy it provides, it's a relative bargain right now, even if the price is high.

Sure I could google it and I have but I'd prefer to also check with you guys and see if anyone has toyed around with this particular brand of ammo at all?

And if you have did you use it for a pistol or a rifle? I have a semi auto rifle and I'm trying to decide if I should just look else where?

Most all Eley 22lr is sub sonic. Tenex, Match etc. are listed at 1085 but can vary by 35 fps up or down. The velocity of a particular lot, or batch, will be on the label. I have not shot the Sub sonic but have shot many bricks of Tenex and Match.  My S & W M41 does not like Eley. My Cooper bolt action rifle shoots .3 MOA groups with Eley Match. My Thompson Center semi auto rifle prefers Lapua Midas Plus but will settle for SK or Wolf most of the time. My Marlin 39 likes anything. By the way Wolf Match Extra is the same ammo as SK Standard Plus. For most semi auto pistols CCI SV is the hot ticket if you could find it.  I checked around the other day and couldn't find any.  SK Jagd Standard Plus is very good also.  For plain old plinking, anything that has enough recoil to cycle the action is good. CCI Mini Mags are popular too.  With a 22 you need to try as many varieties as you can because your gun will usually have a preference.

http://www.championshooters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1433&virtuemart_category_id=46&Itemid=111Has Wolf Match Extra in stock for $7.50 a box. Good stuff. They probably have less than a case as they are not allowing full cases to be ordered right now.Buy at least a brick (10 boxes) if you can. Shipping should be about the same.

HTH

Well I'm glad I have you guys around to tell me this stuff cause I'm clueless and would otherwise get hosed. I've seem it for double that per round too...what price is the right range for this particular ammo?

I don't know the going cost for it since I never bought it. For all I know .36/round may not be to bad of a price price.

Again it depends what you plan to do with it. If you are looking for something to plink with, anything well under .10/round will do. It's kind of hard to find it for that but Midway sometimes has Aguilla on the cheap even with shipping. Cabella's also often has Remington gold bullet bricks for 24.00+5.00 shipping with their CC. Yes, it's dirty and some people complain about their high rate of failures. That has not been my experience. Besides, my life doesn't depend on it , so I really don't care.

A little higher than the .10/round but seems to be stock. I don't know for how long, though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271232/aguila-high-velocity-ammunition-22-short-29-grain-plated-lead-round-nose-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50?cm_cat=CheckoutConfirm&cm_pla=ProductDescrip

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/500rd-eley-22lr-40gr-lrn-trgt.aspx?a=1326036&cjaffsite=adrian+laza&utm_medium=CJ&CJ=1&cjaffilid=4084797&utm_campaign=SPG+Product+Catalog+-+SportsmansGuide.com&utm_source=adrian+laza&cjadvid=1522857&cjadv=CJTSGUSA

ETA- I have not shot any of that ammo. Hopefully somebody that did will chime in.