Newtonian

Sweeney Bill Passes -- My Letter to the Governor

Dear Mr. Christie,

As you are probably aware, a number of new gun laws, including S2723 / A4182, will soon cross your desk for signature.

Since I am not an expert in law, philosophy, or theology I will not embarrass myself by arguing against those bills on the basis of constitutional rights, natural rights, or God-given rights. 

I hope you veto these bills because they  further remove New Jersey from the mainstream of U.S. law. As it is, there are dozens of actions that can send otherwise law-abiding N.J. residents to jail for years, which have absolutely no legal consequences in about 46 other states. For example, stopping to go to the bathroom on your way to the range.

Legislators who point to these laws as "a model" for other states are delusional. I do not believe they know anything about gun laws in other states, including many states with Democratic-controlled legislatures.

[Long, boring lecture on concealed carry and other reasonable accommodations omitted].

Far from being models, these laws advance the view of most common-sense out-of-staters of New Jersey as a laughingstock. By the way, one need not refer to Arizona or Alaska to hear that sentiment. You need only cross the Delaware, or drive into NY State. Yes, New York.

You were once quoted as saying that "New Jersey already has enough gun laws." Your friend Corey Booker has also stated  that in his tenure as Mayor of Newark, only one murder (out of about 650) was committed with a "legal" gun.

I hope you still believe what you said about N.J. gun laws, and still trust law-abiding citizens of our state to deal with firearms in a responsible manner.

Sincerely yours,

(Name deleted for obvious reasons)

Unless he does the right thing, CC has no chance in republican primaries held in gun-loving states. OTOH, should he miraculously win the nomination, he has an excellent chance to win the general election. Specifically because of his RINO status.

Speaking of animals, a caller on an NPR talk show today called him "porcine."

I will approach him from a budget angle.  This monstrosity will cost the state a great deal of money.

Thats our best chance in reasoning with him. Not the rights angle(haha!) but fiscal responsibility. Afterall his claim to fame was giving the federally backed ARC project the boot when the feds wouldnt pay for the inevitable billions in cost over-runs. Or most likely he'll just kick the new FID program down the road saying needs more info on costs and how can the Budget commitee possibly present it to him without the projected numbers.

Nice job OP

This will determine his standing on the national level, and he knows it...

What gets me is CC wants to play on the national stage commenting on issues that are clearly out of his scope, for example the Gay marriage issue, regardless of where you stand he was right on top of that like but in the meantime as our <sarcasm> esteemed </sarcasm> NJ lawmakers just passed an onslaught of new anti-gun laws aimed and law abiding folks and we hear nothing… I guess one of two things will happen,  he will come and do the right thing and veto the bills in the 11th hour or he will do nothing and let it become law and just continue to grandstand on national & world issues that he is powerless over

I could well be wrong on this, but I get the impression that our legislators don't really read what we write, but at most, just glance at our correspondence (or more likely, their aides do) to see if we are for or against a particular issue.

I wrote a letter to Sen. Menendez concerning the NJ gun laws and this is the response I got---

"Dear Mr. _ _ _ _ _ _

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for Senate Amendment 198 to the Senate Budget Resolution that would seek to protect disabled veterans and their survivors from the use of chained CPI to calculate cost-of-living adjustments for benefit payments.  Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this critical issue."

Shows how much they pay attention to us!

Well done Sir!

I cant imagine someone reads these things. They most likely have some search mechanism that classifies each one through keywords and lumps them into groups for interns to sort through.

I simply plagiarized the email I received from the NRA and doctored it up. Feel free to copy/pasta................

Dear Governor Christie, 

S 2723/A 4182 represents a serious attack on the constitutional rights of lawful New Jersey gun owners.  If signed by yourself, the legislation will require proof of firearms training simply to buy a firearm.  The bill also attaches permit information to drivers’ licenses or another form of ID, and it goes even further by registering ammunition purchases.  

Assembly Bill 3659 / Senate Bill 2178, sponsored by Assemblyman Peter Barnes (D-18), seeks to ban the possession of certain firearms .50 caliber or greater.  Despite the fact that there are no known reports of these firearms being used in the commission of a crime, anti-gun legislators ignored the hard evidence in order to advance their misguided agenda.

Rather than target lawful gun owners, I feel our leadership should focus on addressing New Jersey’s serious crime problem.  Clearly, more gun control laws are not the answer. As a New Jersey resident and home owner, a parent, a responsible gun owner and a voter, I am asking you to oppose these dangerous anti-Second Amendment bills.

Respectfully,

I' m afraid I shouldn't write Govonor Chis. I am neither a diplomat or politically correct when I speak..... Maybe his office has people that read forums like this to get information to defuse arguments when they do come up, in which case I would say to him: If you ever expect to get support as a presidential candiate across the country in the future, you had better stop acting like a socalist in New Jersey today.

Please excuse my brashness, like I said, I am neither a diplomat or politically correct when I speak. I just say what I feel

I wrote a letter to Sen. Menendez concerning the NJ gun laws and this is the response I got---

"Dear Mr. _ _ _ _ _ _

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for Senate Amendment 198 to the Senate Budget Resolution that would seek to protect disabled veterans and their survivors from the use of chained CPI to calculate cost-of-living adjustments for benefit payments.  Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this critical issue."

Shows how much they pay attention to us!

I got the same reply.  They really read every word????  Any Word??????

This is why we need larger groups to make an impact.