Tober

What does this bill mean

Is there going to be a grace period to switch to the new system for FID? I haven't seen any thing on a time frame for all this to happen. When Christy signs the bill are we all criminals? Where can I find a state police approved safety class.

I'm so pissed at this that I'm not to sure if I want to comply and just sell everything

I can already hear the tone of the cops voice when stopped for any traffic violation and see a stop for a burnt out tail-light turning into a 60 minute pain in the ass when they feel compelled to search the car just in case....

In 20 years a gun owner in NJ will need their lawyer on speed-dial. 

Another scary thing -- knowing how well NJ handles all things motor vehicle...  can you imagine how fun it'll be when intertwined with FID program????

While I am totally opposed to this bill, I am not sure the reaction by cops will be what everyone is speculating.  When cops make a traffic stop they are concerned about many things, one of which is their safety.  If you hand them a license that indicates you have an FID perhaps they will feel more comfortable with you rather than less.  They know you have gone through background checks and are one of the good guys not dirt bag.

While I am totally opposed to this bill, I am not sure the reaction by cops will be what everyone is speculating.  When cops make a traffic stop they are concerned about many things, one of which is their safety.  If you hand them a license that indicates you have an FID perhaps they will feel more comfortable with you rather than less.  They know you have gone through background checks and are one of the good guys not dirt bag.

Very true! I don't think criminals are applying for FID's............. And as far as a search of your vehicle for any type of weapons, not worried one bit about it. Make sure any guns are being transported correctly and there is nothing to worry about. If they wanna search for something, they can get a warrant, or send us on our way.

It's not people who identify themselves as legally having weapons I am worried about. Do you think cops really think perps are going to get DL endorsements for FID. give us more credit than that.

Let me put it in another way. It's not cops like you that own guns, collect them, enjoy them, are aware of the plight of NJ gun owners and know what it takes to legally own guns that I'm concerned about.

It's all the others that don't have the same frame of mind as you or are outright hostile to private gun ownship that may be a problem. Granted that I don't know how many of those cops are out there so I may be getting concerned over nothing.

However, all things goverment tend to suffer from mission creep over time. If this bill gets signed into law, I won't be surprised if eventually getting asked if one is transporting guns and be compelled to have the officer inspecting them at a traffic stop will become routine.

It's just a question of time for that to happen in name of safety.

It has been a while since I read this bill in its entirety, but IIRC, there is no printed firearms endorsement on the license for all to see. The version I read stipulated that the FPID provision be encoded into a magnetic strip that would not be readable by LE. Maybe this changed in a later version of the bill, but if not, the marrying of your DL & FPID is the least of our concerns with the provisions of this law.

The requirement of the completion of a NJSP approved safety course before the FPID would be issued smacks of the Jim Crow laws and has to be patently unconstitutional - but when has that stopped our legislators in the past?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob you are partly correct.  The plan is for it to be encoded, but not in a mag stripe but in that little picture thing on the back that looks sort of like a QR code.  The problem is that can be read very easily, I have a free iPhone app that will read it.  So, any cop with a phone (even if not a State issued reader) will be able to read it.  The question is what do they do with that data.  I think most will feel safer knowing you have an FID as it says you are a good guy and have passed background checks and a probably not going to shoot them.  The more serious issue is that since this thing can easily be read what discrimination are FID holders going to face when they are asked to show a driver's license when applying for a job or trying to stay at a hotel or other such areas where the person they are dealing with is anti-gun?

Troy, if no license they will have to go to DMV or whatever they call it now and get a non-driver ID card. Same thing and process to get as a license but it is not valid as a license to drive

However, all things goverment tend to suffer from mission creep over time. If this bill gets signed into law, I won't be surprised if eventually getting asked if one is transporting guns and be compelled to have the officer inspecting them at a traffic stop will become routine.

It's just a question of time for that to happen in name of safety.

Spot On!  And this statement has been proven time after time after time after time.... 

The requirement of the completion of a NJSP approved safety course before the FPID would be issued smacks of the Jim Crow laws and has to be patently unconstitutional - but when has that stopped our legislators in the past?

It's a poll tax, pure and simple.  No different than a literacy test.

Do it now.  Even if this passes it will likely be a year or two before it is fully implemented.  She might even escape the training requirement, as Sweeney told me (but never trust a politician) that all existing FID holders would be grandfathered and not need to undergo training - we shall see.

Wonder if they would allow anyone to get the State ID....lol

I doubt I would get the new FID card.....   not the tin foil hat type, but just dont feel this should be handled by DMV.......  they can barely keep up with what they got..... 

Non-now, just how bad can they be? Oh, that's right, I almost forgot, those idiots gave NJ drivers licenses to many of the guys that hijacked the planes that were flown into the Twin Towers......... And to add, that was my local DMV.

I can already hear the tone of the cops voice when stopped for any traffic violation and see a stop for a burnt out tail-light turning into a 60 minute pain in the ass when they feel compelled to search the car just in case....

In 20 years a gun owner in NJ will need their lawyer on speed-dial.

Another scary thing -- knowing how well NJ handles all things motor vehicle... can you imagine how fun it'll be when intertwined with FID program????

Can cops search your car based on an NRA sticker in your window? It's the same thing. I'm less concerned about the cops as I am the bureaucratic mess and cost.

"There is no more gun culture in NJ.  Those days are gone."

True. And while that statement may not be plausible to some, it's how most people think these days. Over time, our laws in this state have inculcated a mentality that firearms are taboo. That, and many other factors have contributed to firearms losing their luster with a majority of the populace.

The more serious issue is that since this thing can easily be read what discrimination are FID holders going to face when they are asked to show a driver's license when applying for a job or trying to stay at a hotel or other such areas where the person they are dealing with is anti-gun?

^^^ This.  Bouncers at bars/clubs.  Hotels.  Employment.  I'm a teacher and many, many, many of my co-workers and support staff/HR are anti-gun.  Saying "hey, I own a gun" is not the first thing you say to HR when you hand in your paperwork, but it will be if this bill passes.

^^^ This. Bouncers at bars/clubs. Hotels. Employment. I'm a teacher and many, many, many of my co-workers and support staff/HR are anti-gun. Saying "hey, I own a gun" is not the first thing you say to HR when you hand in your paperwork, but it will be if this bill passes.

The bill says electronically readable. Not necessarily human readable, so it wouldn't be a sticker or mark on your existing license like organ donor. The info would probably be embedded in the QR-like codes. They're easy to read wi a smartphone but not something a person would "catch a glimpse of".

Still a garbage and expensive bill though.

However, when the corruption spreads to the Law enforcement and the cops are "anti-freedom", this bill will SUCK! When a left wing criminal/ union thug is running the law you WILL be the enemy and now they would know exactly who/what you stand for and they may not be so ...immmm, kind.Just like anything else, in the name of safety, sounds great until you get the wrong, power hungry narcissist running the show.