NorthJersey

Topical Pesticides for Ticks

I'm assigned to an NJ National Guard Unit that will be spending two weeks at Niantic, CT (New London and East Lyme area). During this period we will be out in the field for extended periods of time. Soldiers contract Lyme disease during this exercise, and I'm not going to be one of them. My wife still suffers crippling pain six years after getting Lyme disease when we first moved here. She didn't even spend any time outdoors. I know way to many people with terrible joint pain and neurological disorders stemming from Lyme disease to take any risks and "wait to see if symptoms develop." I have a doxycyclene prescription my doc gave me as a preventive measure, but I would rather avoid getting bitten altogether.

I have a pound or two of cypermethrin (powdered concentrate form), but I wanted to know if anyone else has any recommendations of other commercial pesticides with mild mammalian toxicity that I can use on my boots, uniform, skin, and equipment. I really wish I could get my hands on DDT. I'll appreciate your feedback. 

Actually, permethrin spray appears to work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_pag_rtr_1?ie=UTF8&excerptSize=170&excerpts=true&fo=&idx.all=0&idx.asin=B007VCRX2S&index=community-reviews&page=1&query=ticks&sort=

Any chemists, pharmacists, or exterminators out there who want to comment on the efficacy of permethrin vs. cypermethrin as a tick deterrent?

Actually, permethrin spray appears to work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_pag_rtr_1?ie=UTF8&excerptSize=170&excerpts=true&fo=&idx.all=0&idx.asin=B007VCRX2S&index=community-reviews&page=1&query=ticks&sort=

Any chemists, pharmacists, or exterminators out there who want to comment on the efficacy of permethrin vs. cypermethrin as a tick deterrent?

I don't recall how their activities differ against ticks, but cypermethrin is generally more active against insects than permethrin. 

As for mammalian toxicity, they're not too bad.  They are significantly more toxic to cats than to dogs, for some reason.  Stepping outside class Mammalia, pyrethroids are very toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates, but in broad terms they're pretty environmentally-friendly.

Thank you. Maybe I'll apply a little bit of both. I'm going to give the koi pond a wide berth with the cyper, since I believe L50 (dose required to kill half the members of a tested population after a specified time period) after 96 hours is in the low single digit parts per billion for most fish.

As mentioned already... Permethrin works really well.  I use Sawyer Permethrin during hunting season on all of my hunting clothing, footwear, backpack, etc... and have been through some very thick vegetation areas that are infested with ticks and have never had an issue with getting bitten by a tick.

I second the recommendation for Sawyer. Before i used it, I would come home with ticks every 3 or 4 hunting outings. I haven't had a single tick in the few years I've been using it.

I don't know how this was determined, but I've heard that if you remove a tick within 24 hours, the chance of getting Lyme is very low. So, I would recommend doing a full skin examination periodically while in the field.  I've never had Lyme, despite many bites.

Also, for peace of mind, your wife's case is very unusual. The vast majority of Lyme suffers do fine if they're treated promptly

Edit: Be careful to use the Sawyer's as directed. You don't spray it on your skin. You spray it on your clothes and let them dry overnight. It lasts several washings which, in my case, means I just treat my hunting gear once a year, at the beginning of the season.

I personally wouldnt put chem on my skin.  As stated, if you remove the tick within 24 hours you are ok.  I have had lymes for years, no symptoms anymore, got it originally as a kid.  Im assuming you wont be able to check yourself out there?

I personally wouldnt put chem on my skin.  As stated, if you remove the tick within 24 hours you are ok.  I have had lymes for years, no symptoms anymore, got it originally as a kid.  Im assuming you wont be able to check yourself out there?

With Sawyer, nothing touches your skin. You spray your clothes (off your body,) let it dry until it forms a bond with the fabric, and you're done. If you're worried about residual chemical, you can wash your clothes once before wearing.

I think the marginal risk of being exposed to trace amounts of permethrin is far outweighed by the high likelihood of contracting Lyme and not realizing it until some damage has been done.

I use off which has deet in it. I also use sawyer permethrin on my clothes. I do not hunt, but I go in the woods to clear brush, cut downed trees for firewood and also walk the land. No tick bites since I've started using it. I also put my socks over my pants legs so there is no opening for the tick to crawl on my skin. Ticks don't jump on you from what I heard. They crawl up.