Lightfighter124

So you can carry in NJ with out of state permit??? [Mod edit]No you can not!

decided to read the laws again cause i was getting my ass handed on Black ops 2 and this is intriguing.

Q8.

How do I apply for a permit to carry a handgun?

A8.

If you reside in New Jersey, you must apply with municipal police department where reside. If the municipality where you reside is serviced by the New Jersey State Police, you must apply at the station which covers your municipality. Out of state residents must apply to the New Jersey State Police station nearest to their geographic location. Armored car employees must apply with the New Jersey State Police, regardless of where they reside.

New Jersey does not have laws which allow individuals with valid permits to carry a handguns from other states to carry a handgun in New Jersey.

What is your guys interpretation of this? i'm curious.

Retired LEO are now subject to the same Permit to Carry process as us, but slightly adjusted, with training and certifications.  And they are exempt, and approved for a NJ carry permit per gun as retired LEO.  As they should be.

As we ALL should be

Retired LEO are now subject to the same Permit to Carry process as us, but slightly adjusted, with training and certifications.  And they are exempt, and approved for a NJ carry permit per gun as retired LEO.  As they should be. 

I don't agree. There should be no exemptions for anyone. Everyone should be able to carry once they pass a background check.

And I don't think the process is the same either. Do regular carry permit holders have to pay $100 for their permit per year and qualify TWICE a year? I don't think so.

I don't agree. There should be no exemptions for anyone. Everyone should be able to carry once they pass a background check.

And I don't think the process is the same either. Do regular carry permit holders have to pay $100 for their permit per year and qualify TWICE a year? I don't think so.

+1

Everyone, retired LEO or not has the right to carry according to the highest law in the nation. 

If you exercise that right in NJ and are not a retired LEO, they arrest you and put you in jail.  Having an elite class of citizen (Retired LEO) that are able to exercise their rights while other citizens can not violates another part of our nations highest law, the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment.

+1

+1

Vast majority of cops never ever pull their piece out on the job. What makes retired ones so special? They are no longer required to take action during a crime.

Now if there was an exception for retired COMBAT infantrymen then I may go along with that. May even support exception for certified instructors. But would need further debate on anyone getting an exception.

+1

Vast majority of cops never ever pull their piece out on the job. What makes retired ones so special? They are no longer required to take action during a crime.

Now if there was an exception for retired COMBAT infantrymen then I may go along with that. May even support exception for certified instructors. But would need further debate on anyone getting an exception.

+1 what he said, but one thing. There are non-combat infantry?

NO.......... 

To me it says..... NJ has NO reciprocity with ANY other states

I agree with this interpretation. 

It says that in state people do it with their local station, or NJSP location if that's who covers you. OUt of state does it at the nearest NJSP location. Armored car do it via NJSP. Then no out of state permit to carry is recognized. 

No. Regular carry permit holders have to be shot 5 times in the head and beaten with their ripped of arm to quallify in NJ 

Actually retired LEO in NJ need to apply for a retired carry permit

That's according to an opinion by the NJ AG. The AG is saying in this case that Federal law does not apply to NJ residents (NJ ret LEOS). That opinion by the NJ AG is contradicting Federal law. LEOSA starts ouy by saying "Notwithstanding...any state or local laws except". Those exceptions do not include an dissenting opinion by a State AG. The AG can say what he wants but if you live in NJ and meet the standards under LEOSA there is nothing the State AG can do legally. One example if someone leaves their LEO job in good graces after 10 years they can qualify under LEOSA but not under the RPO permit process.

The RPO permit process varies greatly from the normal permit process. First you have to go through a 20 or more year vetting process. You apply directly to NJSP not through a police chief and judge. There is no judge involved in getting a RPO permit. You also have a two times a year training and qualification requirement.

There is a big difference between the experiences of a combat infantryman and a street encounter of a LEO or citizen carrying legally. Most notable is it usually doesn't make a difference if an infantryman hits the enemy he is aiming at or the enemy soldier standing next to that soldier. I make this observation based on the fact I've served in both infantry and LE capacities.

The often repeated "fact" that most (more than 50%) of LEOs never draw their gun on duty needs some debunking. This may be the case in Mayberry but you're going to have to look hard for the Newark, Elizabeth, or Jersey City cop who has never drawn their gun. That goes for most police agencies in the state including Feds. "Pulling their piece" is one thing and shooting someone is another.

The fact that most LEOs never shoot anyone in line of duty has nothing to do with what most people consider level of training which they interpret to be the number of rounds theu shoot annually. NYPD has stats proving how well one does in qualification has no relationship to how they do in a gunfight. Jeff Cooper said gunfighting is about 95% mental and 5% actual skill with the firearm. Just because someone is an ace game boy in IPSC or some other game discipline doesn't make them a gunfighter.

Yes, retired cops are retired. They have no obligation to do anything if they see someone getting hurt. But you can't take the cop out of them. If you look on other forums you'll see many people who have a CCW say its to protect them and their family. They don't care if someone is beating your grandma with a baseball bat across the,street. But a cop usually thinks like a cop the rest of their lives. For more insight on this read the chapter "Guns" in "Target Blue" by Robert Daley (or Daly). Better yet read the whole book. And you'll better understand why cops think like cops.

All that said, I'm all for Constitutional Carry by law abiding citizens and if you screw up you pay for it. I know that CC scares most,states. Every good citizen should be,able to carry a gun without much fuss.

My post was about retired LEO, nobody else.  That is incorrect, LEOSA does not directly exempt retired LEOs carrying off duty in People's Republic.  So you would rather have retired LEOs without firearms on the streets?  Then we agree to disagree. 

I'm sorry but you are supporting a "disarmed society" where former LEOs previously trusted and required by law to respond, confront, and capture dangerous criminals in YOUR town should not be allowed to carry a loaded firearm.  I disagree completely, and I prefer the retired LEOs in my town to be armed TO THE TEETH at all times.  And me too. 

Personally, I would like as many highly trained, certified, investigated, NJ left kidney donating, armed legal citizens with firearms, as would like to take the grave responsibility of carrying a loaded weapon on a daily basis.  Try it yourself, carry a chambered firearm in your home around children every day for 6 months, and then imagine doing this as a career for 20 years. 

God bless you all, your families, your activism, and this great country we live in.  Happy Independence Day.  Stay safe and don't blow up anything that bleeds, the cleanup is very messy. 

Yes, I would rather have them disarmed if that's what it takes for them to scream that we ALL need the right to carry instead of them demanding a carve out. Why is it so hard to understand that there should be NO special classes of people who get the right to carry more than others? Other states do it this way, why is NJ special? 

Any non-felon with a clean background should be able to carry. Period. Retired LEO should be exempt from the training course requirement due to having training as a LE but other eligibility criteria should be uniform across the board.

The 2nd Amendment never said anything special about retired police. It was about the right of the people, not the right of the police, to keep and bear arms. 

The 96% or whatever NJ "carry" permits dont even allow your to "carry" hardly AT ALL anyway.

How do I know???

I have one.

Let me guess, only when protecting one of the NJ govt? :p