Vicious

I'm stuck (no pun intended)

To cut to the chase on this depressing tale, I have a section of a bore snake stuck in the barrel of my rifle. I tried backing it out of the chamber by using a dowel and rubber mallet from the muzzle end to no avail. I have put a lot of oil in there to try to get things moving, and that doesn't seem to help either. I have also tried tearing bits off of the patch (stuck at the beginning of the rifling in the chamber) that caused the whole problem, but I can't seem to get anymore of it out.

Is there anyone out there as smart as me with a simialr experience that would be able to help? My next step is to buy a very long, thin drill bit and try to drill into the snake and twist it out.

At this point I'll try anything. Any help/ advice is appreciated.

Try compressed air?  One of those air "guns" with the rubber tip...put the tip on the end of the barrel and pressurize it and try and "shoot" the boresnake out.

I would think that a brass rod and a hammer would get it out.   

It's stuck just past where the chamber ends and the rifling begins, and about 4 to 5 inches from the muzzle. I don't know if there is a brush in there. I know that it is stuck on a patch that I put on the back though. As far as pushing it through, that patch doesn't want to move. I like the compressor idea, but now I need an air compressor. lol

SBR? :) What kinda rifle?

It's stuck just past where the chamber ends and the rifling begins, and about 4 to 5 inches from the muzzle. I don't know if there is a brush in there. I know that it is stuck on a patch that I put on the back though. As far as pushing it through, that patch doesn't want to move. I like the compressor idea, but now I need an air compressor. lol

HTF did you manage to do this exactly?  Why are you using a snake with a patch?  Did you figure that you could use a larger caliber snake on a smaller caliber gun?

I'm just trying to Spock your logic on this one...

ouch. I'm sorry but I like your response  :)

It is a Garand. It is the proper (.30 Cal) snake. It has a loop on the end for a patch, so I used one. The problem is that I was using 12 GA. patches to wipe the internals and I stuck one of those on the end, aoutnd quickly tried to pull it through. When it got stuck, I tried to back it out.

And here I am. I know it was stupid, and I was hasty. Lesson learned, but come Monday I'm going to buy a new barrel and be done with it.

It is a Garand. It is the proper (.30 Cal) snake. It has a loop on the end for a patch, so I used one. The problem is that I was using 12 GA. patches to wipe the internals and I stuck one of those on the end, aoutnd quickly tried to pull it through. When it got stuck, I tried to back it out.

And here I am. I know it was stupid, and I was hasty. Lesson learned, but come Monday I'm going to buy a new barrel and be done with it.

Ok - so... you could try an aluminum rod instead of a wood one - less likely to mess up the rifling.

Please don't try a drill bit.

Have you tried hooking into the patch and pulling backwards?

Also, learn the lesson I learned from my grandfather's way of doing things - simply, "If it doesn't fit, just force it" never seems to turn out well.

I can't seem to hook it. I was trying to pull pieces off the patch to shrink it, but I can't seem to grab hold anymore. I need something small and strong with a hook.

I read that someone used a propane torch to burn the patch, and that seems like another possibility.

Where can I get an aluminum rod?

I'm assuming you started breech to muzzle?

I don't know anything about Garands...can you remove the bolt?

If so, it seems like a hammer and dowel should be able to do the job from the breech.

It may take some time, persuasion and maybe more than one dowel, but I can't imagine you couldn't force it through.

Go to Harbor Freight (North Bergen) and get a set of dental picks. These may enable you to pick out enough of the patch to loosen it so you can try the brass rod.

I'm still not clear where its stuck. You say just past the chamber where the rifling begins and its 4-5" from the muzzle. I've never seen a Garand with a barrel that short.

Someone had the same problem on the CMP forum recently. He fixed his issue by heating and repeatedly passing a welding rod down the barrel until he melted a hole all the way through the center of the snake. This relieved the pressure inside the barrel and he was able to then push it out with a solid cleaning rod.

It's not a short barrel, it's a long snake that is stuck. From the chamber to about four inches from the muzzle. It seems to be jammed on both ends. I have the dental pics, but I can't seem to get anymore of the patch out. I like the heated rod idea. That would get rid of the pressure. I was also thinking about burning the patch out with a torch or something.

This is a common problem with boresnakes. The worst thing you could have done was try and pound it out from the muzzle end. In doing so you compressed the snake and it is now pushing against the barrel wall even harder.

The proper way to remove it is to catch the rear of the bore snake and pull towards the breech.

I can't find something small and strong enough that can grab the end of the snake. Plus I have to go in at an angle from the breech which doesn't make it any easier.

What can I use to heat the welding rod? Open flame?

Lighter fluid (or some similar flammable liquid) and a grill lighter. Pour a tiny bit of lighter fluid down the breach and light it up. Let it burn for a second then put it out before it gets too hot to damage anything. Do this a few times to turn some of the snake/patch mess into ash to make room to push it out.