Vicious

I'm stuck (no pun intended)

It will melt and shrivel... Should help.

I think it is nylon. It is a Hoppes bore snake. I have a piece of it, and I'm going to do a burn test. Unfortunately it will have to wait until I'm out of work.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Take a rifle round, pull out the bullet and powder.
Load it in chamber.

Fire! The force of the primer should be enough to shoot her out, or at least a few more inches down the barrel.

Rinse and repeat until it flys out.

( don't do this , unless you think it's a good idea.... Sarcasm on... it might work... but prob. better solutions! )

I can't find something small and strong enough that can grab the end of the snake. Plus I have to go in at an angle from the breech which doesn't make it any easier.

What can I use to heat the welding rod? Open flame?

How about chipping it away bit by bit from the chamber end with a hemostat?

Biy a long semi curved one if you can............this store is in Jersey City

http://www.herbertsdrugnj.com/

post-1842-0-56525300-1372542893_thumb.jpg

Take a rifle round, pull out the bullet and powder.

Load it in chamber.

Fire! The force of the primer should be enough to shoot her out, or at least a few more inches down the barrel.

Rinse and repeat until it flys out.

( don't do this , unless you think it's a good idea )

Lol, I just may. I'm going to try the burning thing tonight, the hemostat thing tomorrow if the burning doesn't pan out. Maybe even the empty round.

Lol, I just may. I'm going to try the burning thing tonight, the hemostat thing tomorrow if the burning doesn't pan out. Maybe even the empty round.

The store hemostats a few years ago. Call and ask if they have one if youmget to that stage.

I wouldnt advise the empty round, just dont do it.

The store hemostats a few years ago. Call and ask if they have one if youmget to that stage.

I wouldnt advise the empty round, just dont do it.

LoL, i wouldn't either.... hopefully my sarcasm was detected.

When I am testing action work on revolvers, I need to set off some primers in empty cases to confirm ignition. I'll ussually shove a cotton patch in the barrel so it isnt as loud. It's fun watching the patch shoot out. pew pew!

Try a small propane torch like the one you would use for soldering. Set up a outside and use gloves because that weldong rod is going to get hot. I would knock all the flux off the rod first. Also don't leave the rod in there to long or it will get stuck. 

if you know someone who has a scuba tank place the muzzle next to the tank valve and open the valve, it may blow the Bore snake and patch out.

I do know a guy with tanks. I wonder if he would let me try that.

I'm going to use gloves with the welding rod, and I need to buy a torch.

what about one of those automotive 4 prong grabber things, something along the lines of this...reach in from the end of the barrel. If you can grab onto it, twist in the direction of the rifling before trying to pull it thru...twist it to make it "smaller".

grabbertool.jpg

Well burning it out is a no go. I couldn't keep a flame going in there for any amount of time. I'm looking into patch/ bullet pullers. Had a four prong grabber thing, but it was too weak.

I'd pull the barrel, but I don't have the proper tools. Getting the welding rod tomorrow. We'll see what that can do.

If you can wait, I'm back in NJ next week I can lend you one

If not, you may find one locally cheaper, or used on ebay

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I like that. I'll have to check that place in North Bergen.

And this is a big reason not to use a bore snake, this and muzzle wear is a big reason...

Talk to me Goose!

This is the first I have heard of issues with a boresnake. I use one regularly and have never heard of a down side to them, either getting stuck or wearing a barrel. Have I been missing some issues with them?

Thanks

You put them in dry, they can get stuck. But you're not suppose to. I can't see them wearing out barrels. There isn't enough coarse material.

Not many moons ago, early versions got stuck. Not sure the same brand, but when they first came out, they had a rubber type stop with a screen like material around it, that a lot of times binded inside by expanding. I know, because I messed up a revolver with one. Went back to traditional style brushes.

Now I have the new ones and they are fine.

Talk to me Goose!

This is the first I have heard of issues with a boresnake. I use one regularly and have never heard of a down side to them, either getting stuck or wearing a barrel. Have I been missing some issues with them?

Thanks

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

This was resolved btw, thank you DamjanBlues and dtown223, I picked up a pair of hemostats and a packing extractor on amazon, and the combo managed to pull enough meat off the patch to free the snake.

A big thank you to everyone else who gave (constructive) advice as well. All ideas were appreciated.

Don't let my experience turn you off to bore snakes, I used it improperly, and I know what I did wrong. I think they are pretty good, and I'm pretty sure nylon and brass don't wear down barrel steel.

Talk to me Goose!

Thanks

Agreed. My hunting guns have never seen anything other than a boresnake. Same for my ARs(exception being the precision gun).

Well a bore snake is nothing new, the old name was a pullthrough used on many military rifles since they became breach loaders.  A prime example is the one used on the British Lee Enfield, the British used extensively the pullthrough and not cleaning rods.  Now what is the first thing we do when we go milsurp shopping?  We check the crown.  The wear on the crown is from the string of the pullthrough(boresnake) picking up contaminants and being drug against the side of the muzzle.  Even when using cleaning rods today, this is why we use a bore guide, to center the rod in the bore and protect the crown.  So considering almost nobody uses the old steel rods people still care for their muzzles by using a bore guide.  So pull the snake all you want, say the string isn't going to hurt the metal, its just string it cant hurt metal..... then go look at some older rifles and see what you find............ Then get a borescope and clean your barrel all you think nessecary with your snake, yank the snake until your heart is content, then run the bore scope..... AMAZING how much crud is in there isn't it.  Now run a rod and a brush and tell me what you see...... WOW a rifle that is really clean....