gleninjersey

Good Range Gun With Inexpensive Ammo

Actually yes. The local shop down my way has put ammo aside for me, has donated ammo for events at my club, has sent me an email when something comes in, has given a steady discount and has even sent an ar out of state to a friend of mine when the guy standing next to me wanted to buy it on the spot.

That's great.  I'm glad there are still places that like around and it is convenient for you to get there.  There is NO PLACE like that near me.  It is inconvenient for me to drive 45 minutes (or more) to pay $5 more per box of ammo.  I'll save my time, energy and money to have it delivered to my front door.  If there was a store similar to the one you are fortunate enough to live close to I would be more than happy to visit it, but there isn't.  I would therefore rather spend my valuable time, energy and money with my family, friends or pursuing other hobbies and interests.  Those relationships mean much more to me than any "relationship" I'll ever have with a store.

I've got the Beretta kit for my 92FS.  I think I paid $325 from a member on the Beretta forum.  It's been very reliable and eats pretty much all standard Federal and CCI type ammo.  It didn't like the thunderbolt stuff, but otherwise has been a very reliable 22kit.

I also have an M&P 22 that I flat out love.  In fact I like it so much I'm tempted to buy a second.

I'll have to look into Berettas.  Thanks for the info.  I shot a M&P 9mm and liked it.  It is on my list as well.

If you believe that you haven't established a good relationship with anyone.

LOL....that is so ridiculous I'll just leave it alone.

My wife has the Sig p226 classic 22lr. The only ammo it hasn't liked is Federal Automatch. Not a single misfire or FTF with any variety of CCI, Federal hollow points, or Standard Plus. Not all ranges gouge on price, Heritage Guild in Easton, Pa for example.

Downside of the sig is that 9mm conversion kit is impossible to find at the moment, although the 40 is available. 40 cal is runing around $19 for 50. Also, the slide doesn't lock back after the last shot using 22 cal., but there is an easy, inexpensive fix for that.

We also love the Buckmark and the Mark III if you get a 22 only and they eat absolutely anything. Great triggers and ergos too.

CZ also makes conversion kit that will work on many models. Right now it's close to impossible to get. The only one I have seen for sale in the last 4 months was priced at almost $500. Ridiculous. Quite the expensive way to go.

I don't buy the idea that you need to support the local dealer if he's charging crazy prices, but it's the way to go when it's even close to competitive pricing.

Although I support my local shops quite regularly for my gun and ammo purchases, I can easily see why people shop online. During the craziness only two months ago, saw a shop selling 333 round Federal target .22 lr bulk packs for $99 and the same ammo 50 rounds for $20 in a clear bag.  Kind of hard to get buyers back when you steal so badly from customers. Ranges/shops also selling target ammo 9mm for $40 for 50 rounds as of last week. You can get 150 rounds of 9 mm at Cabela's for nearly the same price including shipping.  

Thanks for the input. I def have some research to do. I'm liking the idea of prchasing 2 diff guns. A 22 and somethimg else that may have a conversion kit available (but won't be necessary). Ths conversion kits sound crazy expensive right now (law of supply and demand). I''ll be looking at CZs as several people have recommended them. Is there a particular CZ that people seem to favor (or avoid)? I'll also be looking at the MP9 and maybe a Ruger (SR9 I think it's called) anx maybe even a used S&W .357. I'll have to look at how .38.& .357 ammo has been selling for during "the crazy years".

As I just put in for my additional permits I'm sure I'll have a while to ponder what to get. If you were looling for a decently priced (possibly used) gun to have some fun with and ammo price was one of your concerns, what would you be looking at right now?

I have a CZ SP-01 and couldn't be happier, but they are quite hard to find overall right now and therefore quite expensive. I am told by those who should know that there will be no new Sp-01 variants around until around Oct-Nov due to the high demand here and abroad. Bought that over the 75b mainly because I like the extra weight and the way it sits in my hand. The 75b is an excellent choice too and is out there esp on gunbroker so you may be able to find a NJ shop that can get you one. Accuracy and reliability is their claim to fame.

As I told someone before, I shoot on Monday mornings at Easton and am more than willing to meet up if you want to try mine.

If I hadn't bought a CZ, the S&W CORE and the Beretta 92 were right up there for me. All were in 9mm for the same reason, I really like shooting a lot and the ammo is reasonably priced and can be found.

Think I'm starting to narrow down the list. For the 22 it will prob be the Ruger SR22. I may see if I can find a good deal on a used Sig P225.

For the 9mm, I think I've narrowed it down to the Ruger P95, the S&W MP9 or the CZ (75 I think). Of those 3 I'm leaning toward the Ruger again. Hard to find a bad thing written about it and for just around $300 for such well regarded gun sounds almost too good to be true. I haven't held or fired one yet thou, which is something I have done with the MP9. The MP9 felt good in my hand and was very accurate. If I can find a nice used one I may go with the MP9.

The unkown is the CZ 75. If a converter kit is available for them that may raise my interest. I held one very briefly at a gun store and don't really recall how it felt (as I held several other guns that day as well) and haven't shot one.

I'm sure I'll have some time to think about it and may even add some names to the list.

I have a CZ SP-01 and couldn't be happier, but they are quite hard to find overall right now and therefore quite expensive. I am told by those who should know that there will be no new Sp-01 variants around until around Oct-Nov due to the high demand here and abroad. Bought that over the 75b mainly because I like the extra weight and the way it sits in my hand. The 75b is an excellent choice too and is out there esp on gunbroker so you may be able to find a NJ shop that can get you one. Accuracy and reliability is their claim to fame.

As I told someone before, I shoot on Monday mornings at Easton and am more than willing to meet up if you want to try mine.

If I hadn't bought a CZ, the S&W CORE and the Beretta 92 were right up there for me. All were in 9mm for the same reason, I really like shooting a lot and the ammo is reasonably priced and can be found.

I think I will take you up on your offer. The next Monday Im free is Aug 5th.....what time are u generally there at? First 50 rounds are on me!

The reason people complain about a lot of the ".22 conversions" is that they ALL specify .22 CCI auto mag, and most of the wing-nuts throw in the cheapest .22 LR they can find and it doesn't cycle properly because the ammunition is too under powered to cycle correctly. Any good quality 40 grain .22lr will probably do fine for most, but it needs to be decent quality not bargain basement stuff.

With that said it's really hard to go wrong with a Sig p226 or p229  :)

Oh, and by the by, when we meet up on Aug 6th, I'll have the Browning Buckmark and my wife will have her Sig p226 (in 22lr) there as well.

:) 

I'll have my one lonely Ruger GP100 in .327 .....looking to find some friends for it though.  Looking forward to meeting you and your wife and thanks for the invite.

Get a Sig 226 classic(22lr). You can buy center fire exchange slides to convert to 9mm, 40 or 357 sig. Classic and the new slide will run ya about 900 which is the cost of a new center fire Sig 226

That's the way I did it. Bought the P226 22LR and then the 9MM conversion. Saved a bunch by doing it that way although that was a number of years ago. I've never been sorry about buying that gun. I have others but the Sig is still #1.

Buds is doing a certified Sig gun sale right now. Decent prices on factory refurbs.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/1469/SIG+SAUER+CPO+SALE

Thanks for the heads up!  Are there sites that specialize in Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) or Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) trade ins?  Or do I just need to search using those terms?

Oh, and by the by, when we meet up on Aug 6th, I'll have the Browning Buckmark and my wife will have her Sig p226 (in 22lr) there as well.

SOF, it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife.  Thank you for letting me try your pistols.  Your SP-01 was a pleasure to shoot!  I think the CZ75 and the Ruger SR9 are now at the top of the list for guns I will be looking at......maybe I'll just have to pick up both of them! 

We will have to get together and go to EFGA some time soon.  It is a great place to shoot on a nice day.

Again, thanks for being so generous and I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again .....especially since I finally broke down and joined Heritage's Crackshot range program!

Excellent time at the range with Glen and Christine and that is one sweet .327 revolver. I never thought I neded one and now I do. Give a shout any time you want to go to EFGA. Oh by the way, I replaced the rear sight with a adjustable so no one will be able to hit anyuthing with it except me!