jds560

A good non-1911 non-GLOCK .45

I have one permit left now and I plan on adding another .45 to the collection. I'm open to any suggestions but I'm leaning towards one of these three:
Witness Elite Match .45, P220, Jericho 941 45

I'd like to avoid another striker fire, but the M&P is a possibility. FNX? Sig/Mauser M2? What else should I consider? I like weird European guns. 

I'd highly suggest the M&P 45. If you are dead set against a striker gun, then the HK45.

No offense but I'd stay away from any of the guns you listed. None of them are known for quality. SIGs used to be, but their QC took a nosedive since 2005 or so.

P220 or P227 would be my first choice...

Some of the various HKs are a close second...

Or the best gun ever made, the HiPoint JHP45ACP

I heard HiPoints really aren't all that bad, they just look like Star Wars guns. 

I'd highly suggest the M&P 45. If you are dead set against a striker gun, then the HK45.

No offense but I'd stay away from any of the guns you listed. None of them are known for quality. SIGs used to be, but their QC took a nosedive since 2005 or so.

This is good advice

ETA: I just saw your Avatar and wanted to say this: Don't base your firearms choices off of TV shows or cartoons. ;)

Edited by High Exposure

If you have larger-sized hands, and since you're looking at Witness', check out the CZ 97b. I wouldn't suggest carrying it daily, but for range fun and home defense, it is an awesome pistol. One of the most accurate .45's out there.

+1

Balderdash!!!!!!

This applies here also...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/57854-internal-locks-on-sw-revolvers/

Post #25

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Balderdash!!!!!!

This applies here also...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/57854-internal-locks-on-sw-revolvers/

Post #25

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The parts aren't as durable as they once were. My own immediate observation is that out of the box triggers on older SIGs are also better.

Here is some further reading. The fact that this debate even exists, especially on a forum where many people know what they're talking about, should be enough to raise questions.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117571

There's a few more threads like the one above too.

None of them are known for quality. SIGs used to be, but their QC took a nosedive since 2005 or so.

This gets repeated so much. I think its said to make people with the german guns feel good. To the OP I would suggest a S&W 625-A

If you don't have a revolver in .45 ACP, I recommend the S&W 625.  As far as the others go, I would look at a S&W M&P 45, or maybe the Baby Eagle II polymer or steel...

This gets repeated so much. I think its said to make people with the german guns feel good.

Not here...I'm not necessarily a German gun fanboy. In fact, I suggested the M&P45 first. The only current German pistols I usually suggest to people are the HK45/P30 or the Walther PPQ.

Ah, theorizing about another (non-Glock) .45 auto. What good sport.

If I were you my top three hammer candidates and features would be (in no particular order):

Sig P220: DA/SA, all metal, double strike capability, no safety, de-cocker, ergonomics.

HK45: DA/SA, Safety/De-cocker, Condition 1 carry, double-strike capability, ergonomics, trigger finger mag release.

FNP-45: 15 round capacity, DA/SA, ambidextrous Safety/De-cocker, Condition 1 carry, double-strike capability.

Striker fired:

M&P 45: Ergonomics, light weight, with or without safety.

My only real 'advice' is that you really MUST handle these before purchase, especially the H&K. (Love that grip!) If you can't shoot them prior to purchase, dry fire each of them. Bring some Snap Caps to the store. Compare the DA/SA triggers.

Then your opinions should be durable. Good luck with that permit!