I went to RTSP this afternoon with my nephew, who finally got his FID and P2P after waiting 7 months! They had exactly what he wanted---a Sig Sauer P226 in .40 cal. The NICS check took only 5 or 10 minutes and he was able to get 4 boxes of ammo to go along with his purchase, so he's set for a little while.

The guys there were great, helpful and patient, even though there were a bunch of people who wanted to sign-up to shoot in the range (only about a 10- to 15-minute wait). I even left my M&P 9mm so their gunsmith can do an Apex trigger-job for me. I bought the parts, but decided that it might be above my comfort level.

I mentioned that I'm a member at Woodland Park and the guy said that it was a great place---he seemed to be sincere. I'm guessing that there's a "friendly" competition between the two establishments, but I think it's great to have two fantastic ranges and shops serving two areas of northern NJ. It was my first time at RTSP although that's where my nephew shoots because he lives in Randolph and it's a nice place. I think the expansion will definitely benefit the people who live in that area.

I mentioned that I'm a member at Woodland Park and the guy said that it was a great place---he seemed to be sincere. I'm guessing that there's a "friendly" competition between the two establishments, but I think it's great to have two fantastic ranges and shops serving two areas of northern NJ. It was my first time at RTSP although that's where my nephew shoots because he lives in Randolph and it's a nice place. I think the expansion will definitely benefit the people who live in that area.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/53717-gfh-rtsp/

I stopped in on Friday afternoon looking for a rifle that nobody else had in stock. After my initial confusion about their process, much like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi you have to approach certain counters for specific things and have your FID "out and ready" and the guy behind the counter that told me this promptly walked away and offered no further help, I eventually was assisted by a great and personable salesman. I got the rifle I had been hunting for at a reasonable price ( MSRP but others are charging a premium if you can find one).

The range was crazy busy and the place had tons of inventory. I will certainly be back but this time I'll follow the "rules".

I was in months ago ( I am a Wounded Warrior, Iraq 2009, and use a cane sometimes to get around still, medically retired now,15 years in the Army). I stood at the counter area for 10 minutes, not a very busy day either mind you, and when finally helped, the less than personable young man asked what I wanted. I asked if they offered a Military Discount to become a member, and the young man said. We do, with nothing to follow, so I asked how much is the fee and he stated it was 300.00. The regular fee is 350.00, and the law enforcement discount is 175.00. I asked why law enforcement get half off and Military only get 50.00 off, and he said it is what it is and walked away. I think that the discount should be the same for both but it wasn't so. I did 2 tours in Iraq and have been shot at and was wounded badly in 2009, 10 surgeries and now I can walk most of the time but incredible pain still. I was dismissed and told that that was the price and no one else was there to answer my questions as to why the difference. Needless to say I never returned, even though it looked like a nice place the whole vibe was very tense. The time I did spend looking around before anyone asked if I needed help the prices seemed ok for members but high otherwise. I just go to PA now and shoot the State Ranges for 30.00 a year. I hope they offer a better discount to Military now or in the future as I believe for all the sacrifices our men and women of this Country have made past, present, and future deserve the same recognition as our law enforcement personnel get.

GFO, first thanks for your service.  I am sure they can speak for themselves but my understanding is they give the law enforcement discount to encourage LEO's to practice.  We all hear way too many stories about cops that get in gun fights and can't hit the wide side of a barn and shoot lots of bystanders.  Please no flames, I know that is not true of all LEO's by far and some are very good.  But as I said I believe the discount is to motivate them to practice more and I credit the place for doing that.  I think the lesser discount for service members is just a way of saying thanks, but not designed for anything more.  Not sure why anyone should get a discount for a job they chose to do anyway - but that is an entirely different story.

As for not being questioned by a pushy sales person when you walk into a store I like that.  I hate when I walk into a car dealer to look and I am swarmed by commission hungry fools that know less about the cars than I do.  Likewise I hate that at many gun stores you are greeted by a nasty old-timer that growls at you "what do you want", making you feel as if you walked into their livingroom uninvited.

I was in months ago ( I am a Wounded Warrior, Iraq 2009, and use a cane sometimes to get around still, medically retired now,15 years in the Army). I stood at the counter area for 10 minutes, not a very busy day either mind you, and when finally helped, the less than personable young man asked what I wanted. I asked if they offered a Military Discount to become a member, and the young man said. We do, with nothing to follow, so I asked how much is the fee and he stated it was 300.00. The regular fee is 350.00, and the law enforcement discount is 175.00. I asked why law enforcement get half off and Military only get 50.00 off, and he said it is what it is and walked away. I think that the discount should be the same for both but it wasn't so. I did 2 tours in Iraq and have been shot at and was wounded badly in 2009, 10 surgeries and now I can walk most of the time but incredible pain still. I was dismissed and told that that was the price and no one else was there to answer my questions as to why the difference. Needless to say I never returned, even though it looked like a nice place the whole vibe was very tense. The time I did spend looking around before anyone asked if I needed help the prices seemed ok for members but high otherwise. I just go to PA now and shoot the State Ranges for 30.00 a year. I hope they offer a better discount to Military now or in the future as I believe for all the sacrifices our men and women of this Country have made past, present, and future deserve the same recognition as our law enforcement personnel get.

I would think that if a 50% discount was offered to every military personnel both past and present considering the shear numbers involved,RTSP would not be able to meet their financial obligations.

GFO127,

Sorry for the late response to your post, we have been swamped with the construction etc.  

We walk on eggshells whenever we get into the business of discounting anything in the retail world. Who is deserving and why? How do you make one group feel sated, without alienating another? so on.....

As a military veteran myself, your service and sacrifice will never go unnoticed as long as I am a partner in this business. That said, upon formulating our business plan we looked at all scenarios as it related to our membership fees.  We decided that we want LEO's to practice as easily and affordably as possible in the craft that may save their life or the lives of someone we love.  They carry guns as a profession, I want them to be good at it.

Hope that explains it. 

I have to agree that if a range discounted every deserving group that came in the door, there would probably a small handful that paid the full boat. With that being said, my police officers have ranges that are provided from the municipality they work for them to shoot. With the salaries most of them make at least by me in Bergen County, they can more than afford the regular rates. As much as I would want an officer responding to a life and death situation as accurate as possible, I don't think a 50% discount is going to make that much of a difference. But for the veteran that lost his leg and can't work and wants to stop by the range when they can that 50% can make a world of difference.

I have to agree that if a range discounted every deserving group that came in the door, there would probably a small handful that paid the full boat. With that being said, my police officers have ranges that are provided from the municipality they work for them to shoot. With the salaries most of them make at least by me in Bergen County, they can more than afford the regular rates. As much as I would want an officer responding to a life and death situation as accurate as possible, I don't think a 50% discount is going to make that much of a difference. But for the veteran that lost his leg and can't work and wants to stop by the range when they can that 50% can make a world of difference.

Then suggest a sliding scale.

Regular duty, honorably discharged, no ginga-bread, x%

Purple heart x+ another y%

Congressional medal of honor - let me know so I can pay this guy's bill please.

There is no right answer to this inquiry that will make everyone happy. The policy is what it is, yet we definitely reserve the right to make changes on the fly on a case to case basis.

As far as police officers having free access to range time, not the case at all. As a retired LEO, I am well aware of the availability of departmental ranges and it is not what you may think.

There is no right answer to this inquiry that will make everyone happy. The policy is what it is, yet we definitely reserve the right to make changes on the fly on a case to case basis.

As far as police officers having free access to range time, not the case at all. As a retired LEO, I am well aware of the availability of departmental ranges and it is not what you may think.[/quote

I know quite a few police departments by me that have 2 or 3 port ranges in them. With that being said all I am saying is that in my general area that seems to be the case. Regardless of whether it is or isn't it doesn't matter cause its your establishment and you make the rules.

Not commenting on the discount but rather departmental range availability. My dept has a very large indoor range. you know how often i can use it. Almost never. Between training and academy stuff trying to get between 1500 to 1600 cops qualifield on multiple weapons upwards of 4 times per year. Not open on weekends. Doesnt leave a lot of free time

My girlfriend and I went here in January of this year to shoot at the range and we had a great experience. The staff was very friendly and they even set us up with an instructor to show us how to shoot and operate the guns. I have to call and find out if they have this FNX .45 I'm looking for and how much. I definitely recommend them.

Not commenting on the discount but rather departmental range availability. My dept has a very large indoor range. you know how often i can use it. Almost never. Between training and academy stuff trying to get between 1500 to 1600 cops qualifield on multiple weapons upwards of 4 times per year. Not open on weekends. Doesnt leave a lot of free time

Does it really matter in your case? We DON'T want you to practice, otherwise we would lose the "Bluelined Guns" saying that we all love to use!

RTSP was VERY busy one night my wife and I went in there and we waited about two minutes before someone helped us. They were stacked two deep at ALL the counters there. I had no problems at-all with their service. We were there to complete the NICS BS that was started about a month ago. Anyway, when we finished with that we asked about some handguns and the salesman said lay your FID on the counter and I'll show you as many as you like. We had no problem with that, I just thought it was funny since we just picked-up a rifle that night so obviously we had an FID. I guess it is just their policy to have it in their hand while their guns are in ours. I'm ok with that.

Stacks call the store tomorrow and they will check on the availability of your FNX.

M4, glad you are a patient person. Lol. It does get crazy there at times. As far as the FID card thing, that is a State Police thing. A FID must be in plain sight while handling any firearm in NJ. Thems is the rules. I look forward to seeing you all at the range.

Oh, believe me, I wasn't complaining one bit about the wait! With the amount of people in the store I was thinking at least a 1/2 hour wait until we would get to talk to someone. Your guys and gals were hopping that night, impressive! And the salesperson was not trying to push anything nor hurry us along. I told him we were for PPP's but he didn't care, still took us time to show us what we were interested in. Certainly a very large selection there, and a good place to eat at right down the street.  :)

RTSP, do you have any Colt Mustangs and M&P Shield 9's in stock? I see you have a P238 as a rental... may have to try that.

Also, whats with "Plainfield Machine M1A"? Is that a Springfield M1A, or a Plainfield Machine M1A1 (folding stock M1 Carbine)? I guess you could legally rent them out with an FFL.....