Sign in to follow this  
tony357

Christie veto's A3668

I was not allowed to post in pending legislation so i posted it here..

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/06/christie_takes_first_action_on_gun_legislation.html#/0

TRENTON — Gov. Chris Christie has taken action on the first of 15 gun-related bills sitting on his desk – and it’s a veto.

Christie today killed a bill that would ban the state from investing pension funds in companies that make, import or sell assault weapons for civilian use.

Christie did not give a specific reason for the veto of the Democrat-sponsored measure (A3668)– one of eight bills he rejected today. Instead, he issued a statement referring to all of them, saying that taken together, they would “deplete the state’s fiscal resources, restructure government in a significant manner, and significantly alter the policy and spending priorities set forth in the Appropriations Act.”

In a fiscal analysis of the bill written earlier this month, the nonpartisan Office Of Legislative Services said it “cannot reliably assess the ramifications on State and local government finances” that the bill would have.

As of March 31, the state invested in at least one company that sells assault rifles in some states, according to Treasury Department spokesman Bill Quinn: $142.6 million in Wal-Mart. The state also invests $5.6 million in Dick’s Sporting Goods, which until recently sold the weapons. 

The weapons are illegal in New Jersey. 

The bill’s sponsor, state Sen. Richard Codey (D-Essex), said he had “no clue” why Christie would veto his legislation. 

“I mean, (what civilian) needs an assault weapon other than drug dealers, cop killers and terrorists?” Codey said. “On this issue and others, he shows that he’s clearly out of touch with the New Jersey public.”

Christie has not taken action on the other 14 gun-related bills that have reached him, including one that overhauls how the state issues firearms purchase permits and one that bans .50-caliber rifles -- the most powerful guns available to civilians.

When will these morons actually realize that the AR's we can buy in this state are NOT assault weapons. They can't even get the terminology correct. Guess I can continue to call them Democraps, seems not only fitting but fair..................

Codey is the one who is out of touch with the NJ public.  I think we have seen enough evidence that these gun bills are really only supported by a small number of people who have an agenda to push, whether it is a part of a liberal manifesto, or a political strategy to push our governor into a corner, or simply a red herring  to deflect the attention away from their complete incompetence.

We have seen that there is also a fairly large number of people who feel strongly that these gun laws will only have an impact on law abiding citizens and not violent criminals (i.e. that brutal home invasion, how would these laws prevent that, they won't they would only make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to protect themselves).

Then there is a critical mass of people, that are probably a majority, that don't feel strongly either way about these gun laws, but tend to support them because of the spin that is put on them, "it is for the children", "if it only saves one life", etc.  These same people have clearly shown is what they do want is lower unemployment, better jobs, a better future for their children, affordable education, lower taxes, and the list goes on.

So I would wager that it is Mr Codey and his team that are out of touch with the public.

But then again, who am I.

This is the time, right now, for all gun owners to call the Gov and thank him for not Demonizing gun owners and not passing those bills. And that we will support him and his Reelection as long as he keeps supporting the Constitution and law abiding citizens!!!

I believe he is quickly running out of time with those other 14 bills. Starting Monday only 4 days left. Everyone should please contact the Governor asap.