DirtyDigz

OMG! Ammunition in our backyard!? OMG! OMG! OMG!

British couple finds old ammo scattered in the backyard and pond of their rented house, lose their wigs and the authorities go into full CSI-mode:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2350657/Couple-discover-7-500-machine-gun-shotgun-pistol-bullets-garden-weeding-pond.html#ixzz2XlBZfdRe

A couple who recently moved into a rented home discovered a cache of 7,500 bullets in a pond in their back garden.

Neil Tipping, 33, who lives with his girlfriend Eleanor Mercer, 32, made the shocking discovery while he was clearing weeds from the water feature.

He said he saw a flash of metal and thought it was a piece of gold, but upon closer inspection he found that it was actually a bullet.

Police officers arrived at the house where they discovered 2.2mm rifle rounds, up to 30 machine gun rounds, shotgun cartridges, and a cache of 9mm and 8mm rounds.

Now the pair are worried there may be more rounds of undiscovered ammunition in their home.

Mr Tipping said: 'It’s really unnerved us. I’m terrified that next time I’m mowing the lawn I’ll run over a bullet that hasn’t been found yet. One of us could be seriously hurt.

'We have friends with young children who could have put one of the bullets in their mouth, or one of our cats could have got hold of one - it doesn’t bear thinking about.

'We were planning to be in this house for years - now we want to move out as soon as we can.

The couple dialled 101 and two officers arrived, quickly realised the seriousness of the situation, and called in CID officers who alerted the fire brigade to drain the ponds because the underwater search unit was not available.

Before the pair knew what was happening, two fire engines pulled up, followed by two police vans - and their garden was taken over as a full-scale assessment took place.

As an examination of the bullets deemed them not to be a risk, the couple were not evacuated, but officers stayed until 1am sifting through the sludge and mud in one of the ponds - where they found around 2,200 bullets - the majority of which were 2.2mm rifle rounds.

You guys didn't catch the part about the unavailable underwater search unit? Because you surely need a dive team to search a foot deep pond.

There is so much wrong with this story.

That's funny!  Picture a bunch of guys in full SCUBA gear laying in 8 inches of water groping around in the mud.  "I can't move!"  I'm stuck under me tanks!"

If the guy was smart, he'd gather up the ammo and sell it on gunbroker.

I don't quite see the humour in this as much as some of you do.Who the heck wants to find unkown amounts of random ammo lying around (I'm seeing a lot of raised hands out there lol) the yard especially with kids running around. And chances are a mower wouldnt hit anything so low or buried but I can see the inherant level of discomfort there. Not to mention that country had the shit bombed out of it in WW2 and still are finding live ordinance scattered about so that is embedded in the back of their minds. Yea, a little funny on the reactions but still...

Hitting ammo in the grass is no different than hitting rocks. Either one is going to be hauling ass out of the chute. Even if the prime was hit with a blade and it was set off because it is not contained in a restricted space it will have very little power.

I wouldn't mind finding some ammo laying around. I guy I know is a landlord. His tenant moved out and left behind a 5 gallon bucket full of loose live rounds. Instead of calling me to take it off his hands he called the police to remove the bucket. Now that is sad.