2ANJ

I am sorry but this is just wrong...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353347/Police-shoot-kill-Rottweiler-street-dog-runs-owner-arrested-obstruction-justice.html

Here's the link to the story. He was arrested for interfering with an armed robbery call. Not for filming the cops.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

Interfering how? oh right with his radio....  :roulette:

Tough situation all the way around. The cops are wrong for cuffing the guy but the dog owner did not properly secure his dog. The dog did lunge at the officers in an aggressive manor. I am an animal control officer and I deal with aggressive dogs allot. I have found that most police officers know nothing about dog behavior or how to handle an aggressive dog because they are trained to deal with people not animals. The officer that shot the dog made a quick decision to defend himself and the other officers. Could the officer have tried to get the dog under control? Yes but he was probably going to get bit in the process. Not many people are like me and are willing to take a bite in order to gain control of an animal that is acting aggressive.

This guy was looking for trouble. The cops asked him to turn down his music so they could talk to people who called in an armed robbery. They didn't just walk up to him and arrest him the second they saw him video taping. He put his dog in a car with all the widows down, so he is also liable for failing to secure his dog. This guy was an idiot, plain and simple. He could have sat there all day video taping and walking his dog with no issue. If a Rottweiler came at me I'd probably shoot it. FYI I'm a dog lover, but I also understand that the owner is responsible for this. The dog didn't die because of its actions and not because of the cops, the owner is the reason the dog is dead. The owner should have been able to command the dog to stop. to many people don't train their dogs and then blame them for being uncontrollable.

On one hand, the regular reports of people being harassed for filming (especially the woman on her own front lawn) are disturbing.  Surely the squad captain can inform the officers during the morning briefing that filming is legal by now.

On the other hand, if you want to stir up trouble, go antagonize the situation by pumping music and thumbing your nose at the cops.  The guy was looking for escalation.  Why not just drive on down to the station and begin pissing on the duty desk officer?  That'll get you some attention too.

On the third hand, that cop needs a little practice.  4 shots point blank and they let it suffer?

This guy was looking for trouble. The cops asked him to turn down his music so they could talk to people who called in an armed robbery. They didn't just walk up to him and arrest him the second they saw him video taping. He put his dog in a car with all the widows down, so he is also liable for failing to secure his dog. This guy was an idiot, plain and simple. He could have sat there all day video taping and walking his dog with no issue. If a Rottweiler came at me I'd probably shoot it. FYI I'm a dog lover, but I also understand that the owner is responsible for this. The dog didn't die because of its actions and not because of the cops, the owner is the reason the dog is dead. The owner should have been able to command the dog to stop. to many people don't train their dogs and then blame them for being uncontrollable.

+1000 a well trained dog rarely causes a problem

I wonder how many people here who believe that cops should be taped without restrictions, also would be for surveillance cameras on themselves in their workplace, following you on the street while going about your business, red light and radar speed cameras watching you drive and random people pointing a camera in your face while you go about your day?

Id say the majority of these videos shown on the internet dont have anything to do with keeping cops accountable..its the incessant fetish some have with showing their ass and pushing the limits of legality for the purpose of self gratification..

You are responsible for your dog at all times, dogs deserve owners who understand that and protect their dogs by making sure they dont get in a position where someone else has to make tough decisions because the owner stopped being responsible. Point goes to cop. Giving grief to people video taping is a no-no, just like arresting people who give you the finger, these cases are always in the news and you would think people would know by now, anyway, we are all on camera, get over it and just do the damn job. Point to irresponsible dog owner.

I wonder how many people here who believe that cops should be taped without restrictions, also would be for surveillance cameras on themselves in their workplace, following you on the street while going about your business, red light and radar speed cameras watching you drive and random people pointing a camera in your face while you go about your day?

Since most workplaces of any size have cameras, and the cops have cameras in the cruiser and the red light and traffic flow cameras are everywhere, I'd say we plebes are already video recorded constantly.    Cops should have no expectation of "privacy" working in the public.  If anything they should have a camera on them every working minute.  You know, it's for everyone's safety.

I wouldn't say they need one, "every working minute", but if they are actively investigating something or detaining someone, then with today's technology there is little reason not to.. It's called collecting evidence and they should be doing this on their own.... you wouldn't need a cop to come to court and say i observed so and so, or he said this or acted in this manner.... it works both ways which people arent accrediting.

If your following cops around taping them all day then it escalates to a level or stalking and harassment.

The cameras in my work place are to deter theft and to record any crimes or ill behavior as evidence if need be.

We have used it at lest 5 times that I know of to catch some pretty high level employees walking out with $8,000.00 cameras.

That officer was afraid of the dog, drew the weapon right off the bat, so it did not take much to get the officer to pull the trigger.. 

the dog did not seem very aggressive could have probably just picked up it's leash..

There is no assumption or expectation of privacy in public. This has gone to court numerous times. If you are on a public street, or public place, or can be seen by someone in public, you may be filmed or photographed, like it or not. They are on a public street...they can be filmed...period.

And the statement that his radio was too loud and was interfering with their investigation is rediculous.  Seems a bit odd that he was  "..... held overnight in jail on suspicion of obstruction of justice and released at 5 AM the next day. " .....I guess he wasnt interfering after all......

No it was poor judgment by the police. First to cuff this guy second to shoot this dog. I really am glad we live in a video age years ago(only a few) the dog owner would have got time and the cop a medal.Seeing this kind of stuff only makes the police are thugs crowd seem legit.

Sad outcome for the dog, but I think the officer had to make a quick judgment call--too bad he made it suffer trying to protect its owner.  I am a little surprised the officer goes right for shooting against a fairly minor and predictable threat (not like it is a big guy on PCP) especially with a pretty high potential for collateral damage with all the bystanders AND knowing there are about 20 other people with cameras.  Bad on the owner for not properly securing the dog, but the police could have figured out that there was a high potential for the dog to escape (situational awareness) and prepare measures to contain it with something sub-lethal, or maybe block the dog's view.  The guy did not look like he intended to flee or resist, maybe just request that he secure the dog before they cuff him?  But that is just my armchair quarterbacking, and people will screw up in real life.

Id say the majority of these videos shown on the internet dont have anything to do with keeping cops accountable..its the incessant fetish some have with showing their ass and pushing the limits of legality for the purpose of self gratification..

When your workplace is in public you have ZERO expectation of privacy. 

And yes I get filmed, radared, license plate scanned, metal detected almost every day by police so deal with it.  You knew the rules going in don't like the rules change jobs.

When your workplace is in public you have ZERO expectation of privacy.

And yes I get filmed, radared, license plate scanned, metal detected almost every day by police so deal with it. You knew the rules going in don't like the rules change jobs.

not looking for privacy....looking for people to not interfere when a cops full attention is needed dealing with a certain situation...the people who called for help or the drug house being raided deserve the full attention of responding LE...not some jack wad who's sitting around blasting a radio filming the event so he can get some likes on YouTube...and who fails to keep control of his animal....this filming nonsense is just another way for people to annoy and bait cops..and then run to lawyer up..hopefully extract some $$ from the town...and hide behind the law..and just to show the hypocrisy...take 10 non LE people..put them in a situation where they are out with their significant other or family in public places and someone is following them with a camera and filming them...at some point coming close enough to be alarmed or annoyed...9 out of 10 people are gonna call the cops and complain they are being harassed..and why should the cops act if you state there is no expectation of privacy in public...or is there a line that someone filming can cross when it becomes something more?

......take 10 non LE people..put them in a situation where they are out with their significant other or family in public places and someone is following them with a camera and filming them...at some point coming close enough to be alarmed or annoyed...9 out of 10 people are gonna call the cops and complain they are being harassed..and why should the cops act if you state there is no expectation of privacy in public...

And the cops will tell you there is nothing they can do..because legally they cant. They can ask the person to stop filming...or you can ask them...and they have no legal obligation to stop. Its the same thing with the paparazzi and celebrities....they get followed all the time everywhere they go.....and its 100% legal. This has been challenged tons of times in various courts....and it always loses....

Sorry to all of you dog lovers, but here goes:

The Dog is the responsibility of the owner.  The guy (dog's owner) screwed-up, apparently interfered with the investigation, didn't secure the animal completely and left the windows down.

I love animals, but in this case the dog deserved what he got.  It was a foreseeable and natural outcome to the point where I KNEW it was going to happen AND when.  Unfortunate, but still VERY foreseeable.  What boggles my mind is the Douche videotaping the entire incident can see that the animal is trying to escape the vehicle and yet remains silent (not warning the Cops) or is hoping the dog escapes and goes after the Cops!!  What's that, "Deer in the Headlights" stupidity?  I could see the danger / threat in slow-mo......  Not to even begin to mention the "what-if" the dog escapes from the owner's grasp of the leash and goes after a Cop or two who is arresting a Perp after a tussle on the ground!!  So just having the dog around is a threat in and of itself!

As to the four shots:  Those that know me are familiar with my term, "Three round Dog".  It refers to the amount of 9mm or .40 cal rounds I would deem necessary to defend against an animal of this size.  Under ideal circumstances, 2 would go to the body and one to the head, so four is not much of a stretch.  After the initial four shots is the Cop supposed to go over to the dog and put it's lights out with a point-blank head shot?  If he did do that, all of the PETA types would have a sh!t-fit, so at this point the Cop is better-off not finishing the dog with a head shot since the imminent danger from the animal was concluded.

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen is the REALITY and the FINALITY of a situation set into motion by utter stupidity.  In short, the dog owner should have complied with the Cops and merely left the area.  And taken his WEAPON (the 130 pounds of teeth with determination) along with him.

Dave

Picture this the cop attacked the dog owner for what reason?  Playing his radio too loud?  To the LEOS here what would happen if someone ran up to you and tried to cuff you?  What would you do?  defend yourself maybe?  Well thats what the dog did he defended his owner.  The cop brought this on himself by not knowing the law and trying to "control"  a situation he had no right to control.

After viewing the video, I agree.  Happened too fast and training goes in to protect yourself.  You don't know if the dog's rabid, etc.  It lunged and bit at the cop multiple times.  Pepper spray or baton would possibly have not stopped the threat... 

Also - we don't know anything beyond this video.  What if it's a bad neighborhood?  What if the guy was video'ing to record the cops who were on the raid for potential retribution?  I did see him walk over to the cop cars and walk back and forth several times.... He could have been interfering with the crime scene in some way....

Too much unknown.  Shitty thing that it happened, but c'mon common sense people, don't walk around videotaping so blatantly and retardedly.

Nick,

I respectfully disagree. These cops were just pissed off because they were being taped. As such, they helped contribute to the entire situation. I am beside myself after watching that. As a dog lover, as a Rotty lover, I am truly beside myself.

.put them in a situation where they are out with their significant other or family in public places and someone is following them with a camera and filming them...at some point coming close enough to be alarmed or annoyed...9 out of 10 people are gonna call the cops and complain they are being harassed..and why should the cops act if you state there is no expectation of privacy in public...or is there a line that someone filming can cross when it becomes something more?

The press does that all the time to people.They come so close with the camera at times they hit you with it.We deal with it even though we are not trained to like an LE is.

The guy wasnt just walking his dog.. Becauseeee no one walks there dog with there car ... Im not gonna drive to a block to get out of my car with my dog to walk him... He obviously had other intentions ... All cops were in the right the ones who arrested the man and the one who shot a huge dog snapping at him ...

Yes I think the unfortunate out come could have been avoided in many different ways, both by the guy getting cuffed & LEO. I can think of at least 20 things that "could" have made the outcome better for the dog & I'm sure you can too. The question I want you to ask yourself, is that poorly trained dogs life worth your index finger getting ripped off? It looked to me like the situation was going down hill fast & the LEO feared grave bodily harm (death I feel would be unlikely). Thus the dog was put down, I don't care if it was 10 shots or ran over with a squad car. What's done is done, bottom line it's an animal deal with it.

It happens. I'm a dog lover, So it breaks my heart to see this, Its sad but the responding officers don't know the temperament of the dog. They just see a barking dog coming at them. It happens so fast and its easy to sit back watch a video and say what the cops should have done. I remember these from not to long ago. Very sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4XgfPfKSu4&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WIf6o_7pMTw

The guy wasnt just walking his dog.. Becauseeee no one walks there dog with there car ... Im not gonna drive to a block to get out of my car with my dog to walk him... He obviously had other intentions ... All cops were in the right the ones who arrested the man and the one who shot a huge dog snapping at him ...

What does it matter why Ge had a car there? It's a free country and he has the right to drive and walk his dog anywhere as long as he picks up the dog crap.

The cop shooting is a direct result of an arrest that didn't need to be made in the first place.