Sign in to follow this  
NJGF

First Rifle 5.56

I am looking at getting my first rifle. I will be using it for HD and for fun at the range (100-200 rounds per month). At some point I might get a light/laser for it as well as a red dot or holographic sight. I would like it to be NJ compliant out of the box and don't want to build one.

I have narrowed it down to a Colt Match Target MT6400R or a S&W M&P15FT. They seem similar. The one difference I can see is the Colt has a chrome lined barrel while the S&W has a Melonite barrel finish.

Although price is not a deciding factor the Colt lists for $1825 and the S&W for $1159. Why does the Colt list for so much more?

I would welcome any comments about either one or even why my choices are just lousy.

Thanks.

The Colt costs more because it's made by Colt. That said, if you love ARs and have your heart set on a Colt, then you won't be happy with anything else - so get it and don't look back. No worries, it won't lose resale value. If you don't care about brand, get the Smith and spend the extra $$$ on ammo and optics. You can also check out Fulton Armory - I had one; great rifle. Don't stress too much about features for your first AR; I've owned several, they tend to multiply.

I have an M&P15OR with about 1500 rounds through it without one single problem. Eats anything I feed it and asks for more. No experience with a Colt, but as people have said, it's a quality rifle and you won't be disappointed. They'll both do the job just fine, just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend and if you care for brand names at all. I would get the S&W and use the rest of the money on a quality optic.

Colt all the way. They are one of the few companies that actually conform to true mil-spec standards.

There is nothing really wrong with the M&P15, but it's not on the same level as a Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, and a couple others.

IMO the answer is always the same.. BUILD YOUR OWN....

* put together a gun built to meet what you want to do with it

* can hand pick parts that fit your vision

* learn the gun inside and out, allowing you the knowledge to fix it if it goes down...

I an honestly say I would NEVER buy an off the shelf AR15.. ever...

IMO the answer is always the same.. BUILD YOUR OWN....

* put together a gun built to meet what you want to do with it

* can hand pick parts that fit your vision

* learn the gun inside and out, allowing you the knowledge to fix it if it goes down...

I an honestly say I would NEVER buy an off the shelf AR15.. ever...

you do build some sweet rigs too!

you do build some sweet rigs too!

thanks for that... what I learned is the greatest value.. I can still remember several years ago when I first heard of someone building an AR15... I thought he was insane.. I thought "what if it blows up" "what if he does it wrong" but now I could honestly take down and put back together an AR or AK blindfolded...  building them has created familiarity and confidence that you can not buy...

build a bad ass gun... thats the way to go...

Colt but good luck finding a 6400r. Probably isnt going to happen. You can get a 6940 and get it neutered or a 6920 theyre easy to make jersey legal and theyre made by colt defense not colt mfg. We all can walk you through legalizing there aint much to it. I did see eds sport shop in pa had a mt 6400 on gun broker starting at 1100$. Nobody bid on it and it got relisted. Im partial to colts, mpc tested. Also a 6940 or 6920 is mil spec. If you need that for whatever you might do with it in the future. Also dont stop at one. You should always have atleast two. They get lonely. One for distance and one for close quarters HD. Rather than build your own. If you really want to see how they work you can always field strip and disassemble yours as much as possible to get a good idea of the mechanics of it. Theyre very simple.

Colt but good luck finding a 6400r. Probably isnt going to happen. You can get a 6940 and get it neutered or a 6920 theyre easy to make jersey legal and theyre made by colt defense not colt mfg. We all can walk you through legalizing there aint much to it. I did see eds sport shop in pa had a mt 6400 on gun broker starting at 1100$. Nobody bid on it and it got relisted. Im partial to colts, mpc tested. Also a 6940 or 6920 is mil spec. If you need that for whatever you might do with it in the future. Also dont stop at one. You should always have atleast two. They get lonely. One for distance and one for close quarters HD. Rather than build your own. If you really want to see how they work you can always field strip and disassemble yours as much as possible to get a good idea of the mechanics of it. Theyre very simple.

I would really like to question why you have this opinion...

I have a 14in AR15 that I built myself that is plenty light and fast to swing around inside a structure.. and I still hit man sized targets at 300 yards all day long..  and why would you need a second one.. the beauty of the AR15 is versatility.. if you REALLY want a second dedicated long range build.. simply build out another upper..  you can swap lowers in the time it takes to push two pins.. 

..... Rather than build your own. If you really want to see how they work you can always field strip and disassemble yours as much as possible to get a good idea of the mechanics of it. Theyre very simple.

I would really like to build one but my time is limited (that thing called work always seems to get in the way) and I don't know anything about AR's. I build my computers from parts for the same reasons everyone has said about AR's: you can get exactly what you want and you then know how to maintain/fix them. So maybe for my next one.

I would really like to build one but my time is limited (that thing called work always seems to get in the way) and I don't know anything about AR's. I build my computers from parts for the same reasons everyone has said about AR's: you can get exactly what you want and you then know how to maintain/fix them. So maybe for my next one.

its kind of like building a computer... only easier..