silverado427

German Shepherd dog

I'm actually waiting on my puppy to be born any day now. I will be picking it up Sept 6. I went through a lot of research selecting a breeder and had some trials and tribulations along the way. PM me if you want to know who to stay away from in NJ, would rather not lambaste them in a public forum. 

Stay away from PA shepherds. Most are puppy mill or back yard breeder and have tons of health issues. The gsd has plenty of issues without the help of byb. Do research talk to jersey shepherd clubs and be cautious. I got mine in NY but would not reccomend that breeder at all. Gsd are a lot of work! If u dont have a nice lwrge fenced yard, save u and the dog pain and get something else... they HAVE to be exercised daily or they will wreck ur house!!! The puppy teething stage can be tough... but I love my shepherd!! Hero is a year old now.

I'd look into the seeing eye dog programs & see if you could puppy raise for them. If all goes well you have a friend for 2 years then they go on to help someone in need. If the dog fails you can work it out so you keep them. You may also get a retired one also.

Edit: you also won't have to worry about crappy breading.

My partners brother in law is a breeder in Czech, his dogs are a long line of champions absolutely beautiful dogs, and he ships them here all the time. Just sent two to Denver. You really need to be careful when selecting a puppy. I always adopt our dogs so many out there that need to be loved!

If at all possible, try to see both parents first.  Trust your gut with the breeder and don't be afraid to be skeptical;  they're business people when it boils down to it.  My family dealt with a local breeder who boasted about all their champion lineage, but ended up with a dog who had problems his entire life.  

A couple things I agree with... There are Shep rescues that will work for your family.  You must decide waht you want to do with the pup.  Do you want a working line, a show line, or just a family pet.  Sure reputable breeders are more expensive up front BUT get one of those BYB dogs and see how much you spend in vet bills out of YOUR pocket.... It is worth the money up front, if you cant afford it, wait and save up it WILL be worth it.

Next, scout out classes and trainers.  YOU HAVE TO WORK THIS BREED!!!!  Stay away from Petco/Petsmart classes.  Bring the pup several times a week from the time you get him to places like petco and petsmart!!  SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE!! they will get dog aggressive if they aren't socialized!  Join a shep club... theres a few here in jersey. 

Quick story... Hero (my pup) was S.T.A.R certified and the perfect puppy, he loved class and was REALLY smart!!  Hurricane Sandy hit and I was activated with my unit for about a month.  Missing class for a month and me not being around that long was all it took.  His first class back after the storm he went NUTS! I couldn't calm him down and had to leave.  We came back for a 1 on 1 several times with 1 other pup and even that was too much! To this day I simply walk him, try to socialize with friends and family dogs.  He is AMAZING with my kids and me.  He is still very high energy and loves to play but the dog aggression is annoying!  so do ourself a favor, OVER play with him!  a tired GSD is a happy GSD is a happy owner!  oh and dont worry about the ears they will stand up eventually.  Theres also a GSD forum with TONS and TONS of info!!

Heres some pics

Before (about 9 weeks old):

katyandrews-albums3042-hero-picture16842

After (this was about 4 months ago):

wink-_-wink-albums8682-a-picture47594-ph

wink-_-wink-albums8682-a-picture47586-ph

Wink- WInk-

"He is AMAZING with my kids and me. He is still very high energy and loves to play but the dog aggression is annoying! so do ourself a favor, OVER play with him! a tired GSD is a happy GSD is a happy owner! oh and dont worry about the ears they will stand up eventually."

Agree with you 100%!  They are super smart. Very high energy dogs. Not for everyone though.

My 2.0 year old GSD has become dog aggressive. I am trying to find a decent training to break him of it. But he is very stubborn also. I had a one-day trainer come to my house. She said he is 90% trained (by me of course) and recommended I get him an electronic collar to break him of the dog aggressiveness. Thoughts?

BTW, mine LOVES the water. I took him swimming for the first time last summer by the Delaware River. He loved it. Went in with no hesitation or coercing by me.

This is my first GSD. I will admit they are a handful, especially if you do not take charge when they are young. I socialized him all the time and took him to Petsmart after 6 months of age. He was fine until last summer when he had a "run in" with another dog a bark park. He has been dog-aggressive ever since.

I put an electric collar on Hero for a little while and honestly it was a waste of money... When I say this breed is smart I mean REALLY smart!  Hero is what is referred to as "Collar Concious" or Collar smart... He knows what collar is on and knows what he can get away with on each.  We have a prong for walks, a regualr strap in the house, the electro on walks and an E Z Walker harness.  The shocking part of the collar doesn't phase him... He will yelp and keep on going.. It barely phases him.  He is such a HUGE sissy.... he cries when his nails get cut, baths, vet he whines and cries... HUGE baby!!! but shock collar doesnt phase him at all he just keeps barking.  The prong collar works really good for the walks and he doesn't tug.  but once that collar is off he will pull your arm out the socket.  You really have to work with them literally daily!! If you are not feeling it that day, the pup doesn't know that and still needs the exercise or they WILL rip apart your home!

That is what I was thinking he might do with the electric collar.

"is such a HUGE sissy.... he cries when his nails get cut, baths, vet he whines and cries... HUGE baby!!!" 

Mine is the same!!! lol. He yelped the other day before I even clipped his nail. It was like he already was prepared for me to cut it.

Mine is fine on or off leash. He goes nowhere. I have him in the front of my house as traffic goes by; he just sits there. Off leash he doesn't go more than 20 yards away; then I call him he stops and comes back.

The dog agressive bothers me though because he tried to kill my buddy's dog when he brought her over. At first it was just rough play, then he went full-bore "shepherd" on her.

Does yours watch TV? Mine does all the time. He does not like animal shows either. :(

That is what I was thinking he might do with the electric collar.

Mine is the same!!! lol. He yelped the other day before I even clipped his nail. It was like he already was prepared for me to cut it.

Mine is fine on or off leash. He goes nowhere. I have him in the front of my house as traffic goes by; he just sits there. Off leash he doesn't go more than 20 yards away; then I call him he stops and comes back.

The dog agressive bothers me though because he tried to kill my buddy's dog when he brought her over. At first it was just rough play, then he went full-bore "shepherd" on her.

Does yours watch TV? Mine does all the time. He does not like animal shows either. :(

HAHAHA

Not only does he watch TV, he sits like a damn human, with a pillow on the couch or chair... and will make noises when bad stuff  happens... like moaning groaning halfass growling!  lmfao glad i dont just have a weird dog, its the breed...

It is definitely the breed! He sits or lays down in front of the TV. He barks, moans, growls, at a variety of things on the TV. He does not like any animal shows or commercials with dogs. I am trying to break him of this bad habit also right now. It all started last summer when he started watching the Dog Whisperer and went nuts at the tv for no reason.

They are just super smart, super stubborn dogs. They have no fear. It is a Catch-22: Great watch dogs and loyal companions. But the have hair triggers. There is a reason they are riot, bomb-sniffing, etc. dogs.

post-5742-137290204793_thumb.jpg

I have a long hair GSD that I got from Alkarah in Hunterdon county. I met his mom and dad(both champions) before they were bred. Waited a year for the litter and we picked our boy. KCA, OFA and MRI'd for hips. He is now 3 y.o. and doing great. Walks about 3 miles a day and runs in the woods most days. Has several dog girlfriends including my brother's new Malnois mix rescue. Can be aggressive at first but once they submit he's all ok as long as he's the alpha(among the four footed) otherwise he has the same idiosyncrasies. With a singular disinterest in food. As I prep his dish, he goes over and lies down until I bring him the bowl. Then waits for me to sit so I can watch him eat. Very rarely does he eat by himself. Or take any food from anyone he doesn't know.

We trained with the breeder's puppy kindergarten and got the good citizen cert then started with cck9 for some protection classes. We are about 18 months and he gets better every day.

One little problem, if he doesn't like you, nothing stops him from intimidating you. He has a sense about people and the shifty types he doesn't tolerate. Getting him used to someone is a process that I don't waste time on if its a delivery man or the like. But when the doorbell rings, he's at my wife or my kids side. CCk9 does bite pressure tests and it's amazing what they are capable of.

If the poor woman that got beaten in Millburn had my dog, it would have ended differently for that shitbag. I promise you that.

GSD are incredibly intelligent. They learn you and your mannerisms. There isn't much that gets by them. My deal with my kids is that of you have to pee so does he so take him out. He now tells me and them when we have to go. Uncanny.

post-5742-137290341078_thumb.jpg

He loves the boat!

First of all GORGEOUS pup!! I am obsessed with the coaties lately!  I looked at Alkarah but at the time didn't have the money nor patience... They have some beautiful dogs there!!  We put sleigh bells on the back door and he rings when he has to go out...or when he wants to just be outside... He knows bells mean he gets out of the house.. They are so smart it is scary

Hey all.  I'm looking for a GS puppy , anybody have any friends who breed them or know anybody selling one.  I'm looking at some pups from PA, but I would rather buy one from jersey. thanks for looking.

Pm me on this topic. I know a lot of info. Alot.

He is a rock star. And the thing about long-hairs is that they look cuddly but he really isn't that kind of dog. They are aloof. But he loves my kids, they hang all over him and he's fine. He'd give his life for us without hesitation. Although I love guns. Have an alarm. I believe in him. Unbiased, can't be lied to, and won't be intimidated. And I don't have to be there. Short of secret service, there ain't no better. Sorry..I go on and on about my pup. Everyone should have a dog. The love is unconditional and the scaring away shitbags is a bonus.

He is a rock star. And the thing about long-hairs is that they look cuddly but he really isn't that kind of dog. They are aloof. But he loves my kids, they hang all over him and he's fine. He'd give his life for us without hesitation. Although I love guns. Have an alarm. I believe in him. Unbiased, can't be lied to, and won't be intimidated. And I don't have to be there. Short of secret service, there ain't no better. Sorry..I go on and on about my pup. Everyone should have a dog. The love is unconditional and the scaring away shitbags is a bonus.

I used to sort of freak if i heard things middle of the night... Now, I hear something and my dog isn't bugging out, I don't even check... I leave home for work without a worry for my family because that dog will defend my family to the end! I believe they are just loyal like that by nature!  DONT be sorry! I love my pup more than I even like most humans! 

Walt of Destiny -

Awesome looking dog. I have never seen a long-haired one like that. That must be a joy to comb and vacuum. lol. Mine does the same things your does. It must be the GSD way. Mine will eat his food in the AM once I sit down for breakfast.

Speaking of food - what size are you dogs Wink and Walt? How much do you feed them?

Thanks,

S.

Mine is almost 80 pounds, he turned 1 year on June 19th, He eats 2x a day about 4 cups...

As bad as mine sheds I would dread a long haired right now! 

And its odd because my boy thinks he is a friggen lap dog... He is overly cuddly but only at night... he gets tired and gets that dopey look on his face, will hop on the couch and lay basically on top of me... i love it tho he is very sweet...