plode

NJDOC Corrections officer application(Firearms related, mostly)

So I took the civil service exam for Corrections Officer Recruit back in the spring.  I scored very high, and they want me to start the pre employment processing.  Well today, they e-mail me a PDF that is 44 pages long that I am to hand write detailing everything about my life.

They also provided me with an appointment to show up at some developmental center almost 100 miles away in 7 days(yes, only 7 days notice).  My employer requires 2 weeks of notice to take a day off, so that is going to be an issue, especially in the summer when we are busiest and he is short handed this season). 

Now as I'm flipping through this application, I see they want information on all of my firearms.  Make, model, caliber, serial numbers, and if it is registered or not.  I go on to read they want copies of my NJ FID, and copies of ALL of my P2P's I've used.  

I feel really uncomfortable providing all of this information to a government agency.  Especially since quite a few of my rifles are unregistered- it is voluntary in NJ, but providing the serial numbers to a government agency- especially law enforcement seems almost like a De facto registry. 

One big question running through my mind is WHY do they need this information? 

Maybe one of the LEO's on here can provide some insight as to what they need that information for.  '

Also, I don't want to hear the "if you want the job, just list the info". 

You are doing a complete background for a government agency. Submit or don't.

I know what it is...I'm just wondering, why?  For one- the state government already has all of the information on my P2P's.  But it kind of sets me off that they want the serial numbers off of my unregistered long guns.  I fail to see what basis this information has on my background. 

I've been through TS Clearance background checks for the Federal Government, and none ever asked for any of my firearms information(nor did they ask for my social networking e-mail addresses and passwords- but this I can understand, sometimes looking at a potential employee's Facebook can provide a good overview of their character).  But serial numbers off my firearms?  Why? 

Believe it or not some people posses stolen guns or firearms used in crimes. You are potentially becoming a LEO in the states largest department.

I don't think I'm going to be able to complete everything they need on the application in 7 days, with 3 of those days being weekend/holiday, and I counted the Monday I'd have to be there at 8AM, so it's really 3 business days.  They want a whole stack of documentation that I simply don't have, nor do I have a reasonable way to obtain a lot of it in 3 working days.  At least one document has to come from the federal government- and I know for a fact I won't get that in 3 days.  

It says on the application you will be removed from the list for Corrections Officer Recruit if any of it isn't complete, so I'm not even going to bother trying.  I know for a fact I won't be able to obtain a few of the items in that time period. 

Completely absurd that they only provided me with 7 days of notice for all of this.  My boss will probably fire me for telling him I need off already without barely any notice- I literally started at the end of last week. 

I took the Civil Service exam for Fire Fighter and answered the same questions.  It seems the answers themselves are less important than the entirety of the application.  They're looking for across-the-board honesty.

I'm a bit surprised at the 1-week notification.  I had nearly 4 weeks to fill everything out.

Somewhere on the application, there is likely to be a statute or administrative code provision listed.  See if you can locate it - possibly where they ask for your SSN.  Once you have that, you can look up the statutes and regulation governing the application process.  No guarantees, but perhaps there will be something helpful there.

Usajobs.gov federal correction officer.... extensive year long background investigation. .. not 1 single question about firearms... complete training and your covered by LEOSA and can conceal carry in any state. ...

You don't need LEOSA to cover you if you're a Fed....because you're a Fed. State laws do not apply to you as long as you are in compliance with your agency's firearms policy., State COs are covered by LEOSA out of NJ.

There are several state COs on this site and they can give you more insight on this.

IMO I would supply them with all the information and if a document was required I'd provide what I can tell them I am requesting what I don't. Its been a long time since I filled out a job application but I did do background investigations and oversaw the Personnel Security Program for a major command in the military.

The application doesn't specify any laws, other than the statute for the law about lying on the application.

It asks:

DO YOU NOW OR HAVE YOU EVER POSSESSED ANY PISTOL PERMITS, FIREARM PERMITS, FIREARM ID CARDS, OR FIREARMS DEALER LICENSES IN THIS OR ANY OTHER STATE, OR AREA UNDER FEDERAL JURISDICTION?
Then it asks for permit numbers, issuing agency info.  I wonder if that is to include a CCW permit from out of state.  Then below that it wants firearm make, model, caliber, serial number, and asks if it is registered.
On a checklist of items to bring to the pre-emplyoment processing it says to bring FID, and ALL Permits to Purchase a Handgun. 

I took the Civil Service exam for Fire Fighter and answered the same questions.  It seems the answers themselves are less important than the entirety of the application.  They're looking for across-the-board honesty.

I'm a bit surprised at the 1-week notification.  I had nearly 4 weeks to fill everything out.

Yup, I'm supposed to report to the New Lisbon Developmental Center Monday July 8th at 8:00AM.  I got the notification today(well, now yesterday, July 2nd).

My brother also took the Civil Service exam for Corrections, and got the notice today as well.  He said he isn't going to go...he doesn't have the time to get the application done, and cannot get off in this short of notice.  He's working 12-13 hour shifts for the next 5 straight days. 

I just applied on USA Jobs for the Federal Correctional Officer.  It's about the same distance to the FCI from here as it is to the state prison I would likely be working at. 

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to continue with the NJDOC route.  I'm really put off by them giving me less than a week notice to take off of work, and to fill out these 44 pages of such in-depth info.  Something I don't like is that they want your social media e-mail and password, and my friend who recently went through the process says they tell you the password cannot be changed until you are out of the academy.  I don't mind them checking it once, but them having access to my account for months isn't something I'm comfortable with.  The content on my Facebook account isn't anything that would be questionable(unless they consider pro-gun posts and range pictures to be questionable :lol:).  I regularly have private conversations on there with family that I don't want some HR employee reading at will. 

I wasn't really interested in doing NJDOC anyway, but mainly took the test because the credit carries over to law enforcement positions. 

This is how they weed people out too. If you can't get this done in the allotted time then you don't want it bad enough. I know when I was going through the process for my PD there were a lot of times it really sucked getting what was needed within the deadline but it got done.

This is how they weed people out too. If you can't get this done in the allotted time then you don't want it bad enough. I know when I was going through the process for my PD there were a lot of times it really sucked getting what was needed within the deadline but it got done.

Believe me, I know.  One thing it specifically states they won't accept is a laminated social security card.  Well mine is laminated, and I'd have to go down to the social security building either Today or Friday.  They are open 9-3.  I'm working both today and Friday from 9-6.  I have to get my high school transcripts too.  The school is only open 9-2.  There would be a very slim chance I'd even be allowed to take off on Monday since I haven't even let my boss know yet(I didn't get the e-mail today until 4:45PM)which is less than a weeks notice- company policy requires 2 weeks of notice for all absences not sick related.  But asking to take even a few hours off Today or Friday won't happen.  It's too busy this week with the holiday and coming weekend. 

I could make it happen, but it'll likely result in me getting fired since I literally just started last week. 

Exactly, basically this is their first cut. They use this as a way to see who really wants the job and who doesn't.

Unfortunately for you, you are losing out on possibly getting into the police and fire pension, an $82,000 year job( not till you reach max pay which will take 14 years) great medical benefits for you and your family.

OH YEAH, A CWW too!!!!

I don't think I'm going to be able to complete everything they need on the application in 7 days, with 3 of those days being weekend/holiday, and I counted the Monday I'd have to be there at 8AM, so it's really 3 business days.  They want a whole stack of documentation that I simply don't have, nor do I have a reasonable way to obtain a lot of it in 3 working days.  At least one document has to come from the federal government- and I know for a fact I won't get that in 3 days.  

It says on the application you will be removed from the list for Corrections Officer Recruit if any of it isn't complete, so I'm not even going to bother trying.  I know for a fact I won't be able to obtain a few of the items in that time period. 

Completely absurd that they only provided me with 7 days of notice for all of this.  My boss will probably fire me for telling him I need off already without barely any notice- I literally started at the end of last week.

Sounds like LE work is not for you and that's OK.

I bet you a hundred other candidates under the same time restriction as you get it done.

Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, why don't you get off the forum and start making calls, sending emails, and getting to work.

Read this first for a little perspective on why the process is the way it is and the kind of recruit they are looking for:

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/ocs/content/pdf/Message%20to%20Garcia.pdf

The whole paperwork issue doesn't even matter with respect to the fact that I cannot get off of work to even attend the appointment. 

I just asked my boss if I could take off, and got a flat out no, and that I should have requested that Monday off right when I got hired last week. 

I'm going to write an e-mail to them explaining I cannot get off of work in that short of notice, I need at least 2 weeks. 

An alternate plan for you. Transfer all of your firearms to someone else, submit the application and then retrieve them. Why play by their rules?Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:blink: Wow! Someone who would follow this advice is the direct opposite of what they are looking for.

Do you really want LEOs out there with this mentality? :facepalm:

I don't understand the Facebook login request.  What if you don't use Facebook?  I don't.

School transcripts over a holiday weekend is not realistic.  I suppose they assume you would drop everything (your current job) and travel around obtaining the documentation.

I don't understand the Facebook login request.  What if you don't use Facebook?  I don't.

Neither do I. I have seen a lot of careers and reputations ruined because of Facebook and the like.

You can tell a lot about a person from their FB page. We use it at work for investigations all the time. You will get a much better idea of someone's true maturity level, honesty, and integrity from their social media site than you ever will in an interview.

I know someone that didn't get hired at a new job and fired from an old job when they found out they called in sick a bunch of times, and were able to match all the sick days to concerts, sports events, long weekends and overnight vacations they took.

If you don't have FB then no problem. But a prospective employer can learn a lot about someone from social media.

If you want the job you do whatever it takes....

What? Preposterous. I am special, a veritable snowflake and I deserve it. If they don't want to just give it to me and insist on making me work for it, well then they can just keep it! [/sarcasm]