Sign in to follow this  
mikeyboyeee

Avoiding DC on way to FL

Heading to FL soon (well SC 1s to do some fishing.)

Anyone have best route to Avoid DC area?

When I google map it, the way it shows me around adds an hour and half to the trip.

I will be using my garmin GPS to head down, but I really do not know route or area well enough to avoid DC.

Thanks,

I have done this trip many times and like most people say basically just time your trip around missing rush hour and you will blaze right threw. Last time I did 17 hrs straight only stopping food/bathroom and gas.

Good luck.

I been driving to the Carolina's to see family for a while now and just avoid 95 altogether. You can go through PA on 78, grab 81, and then hop on 77 which will take you through Charlotte N. Carolina and though Columbia, S. Carolina. Since my family lives away from the coast, this makes sense for me and I'm real close to PA to begin with so for me this is my go to route.

81.. never used that one before....  Is it a fast highway?

81 moves really well, as it does not hit any BIG cities.

It is also a nice drive if you like being out in the sticks.

As noted, 81 is my route of choice if 95 will put me in Balt or DC around rush hour.

Been going south for the last few years and no matter what time I leave nj I get stuck between dc and quantico va. The beltway is never the issue. After dc gives me the issue. Rt 81 adds about 3 hours. This year we are trying to take the beltway north toward silver springs the. Pick up 66 w/a, the to rt 17 to fredericksburg. Never been on rt 17 in va though so I am gambling

You don't say what town your leaving from or the town in S.C. you're going to but if you can get to 78 west, then 81 south to 77 south to 26 east will take you into Charleston S.C. I drive to FL at least 3-4 times a year and haven't been on the northern part of 95 in years. The only city you will have trouble with is Charlotte if you hit it at rush hour, Columbia is no problem. Of course an accident or road construction changes everything. Last time I went (May) there was no real construction to speak of. As of today, S.C. has the cheapest gas on the east, so top off there.

You don't say what town your leaving from or the town in S.C. you're going to but if you can get to 78 west, then 81 south to 77 south to 26 east will take you into Charleston S.C. I drive to FL at least 3-4 times a year and haven't been on the northern part of 95 in years. The only city you will have trouble with is Charlotte if you hit it at rush hour, Columbia is no problem. Of course an accident or road construction changes everything. Last time I went (May) there was no real construction to speak of. As of today, S.C. has the cheapest gas on the east, so top off there.

Ah but I did ;)

I have done this trip many times and like most people say basically just time your trip around missing rush hour and you will blaze right threw. Last time I did 17 hrs straight only stopping food/bathroom and gas.

Good luck.

Yup, when we lived in the Cherry Hill,NJ area we'd leave at 3AM and would be in NC in less than 5 hrs...Disney in 14 HRS 37 Minutes. We DO NOT stop with the exception of refueling and that's when we'd hit the bathroom. By far is the fastest way if you time it correctly. We've done this trip at lease 40 plus times. I did try the RTE 1 Delaware, Bay Bridge thing and it's way too long because you have to go through many small towns once in NC just to get back to I95.

If you're going to the OBX then the Delaware/Bay bridge is the way to go...

We have driven to coastal NC Many times and 95 is the most direct rt, 81 too far inland to be practical for our destination. My absolute rule is when traveling on a weekday to be past DC, preferably at least by Quantico by 2:00 afterthat its travel at your own peril on 95 anywhere near DC. Weekends in the summer can be crappy anytime with all the vacation travelers but 95 is muchmore civilized south of Fredericksburg which is our halfwaypoint. Going again for 2 wks very soon, yehaaaa!

We have driven to coastal NC Many times and 95 is the most direct rt, 81 too far inland to be practical for our destination. My absolute rule is when traveling on a weekday to be past DC, preferably at least by Quantico by 2:00 afterthat its travel at your own peril on 95 anywhere near DC. Weekends in the summer can be crappy anytime with all the vacation travelers but 95 is muchmore civilized south of Fredericksburg which is our halfwaypoint. Going again for 2 wks very soon, yehaaaa!

That area can be BRUTAL!