ryan_j

Is the front license plate optional in NJ?

Don't forget headlight covers. I use to get pulled over for them when I was a teenager. I never understood why they were a danger during the day. But I'll tell you that wenonah nj will have every cop on duty at your truck over them.

Yeah back in the late 90's early 2000's gts tinted headlight covers were popular. I had an f150 lifted with custom paint (was actually in magazines) i had headlight covers on it. A few of my buddies had em on different cars too.

So what? Working holidays doesn't give police the right to break laws. A lot of people work holidays. That was known before they took the job. Last I checked refineries run 24/7, restaurants are open, some retail, toll collectors and many other people. Are they now free to choose what laws they will follow?

Has anyone ever went past the posted speed limit? Same thing.

Exactly. U don't see many patrol cars getting pulled over for it. Where I grew up a cop killed a friend of mine speeding down broad st. They use to fly up and down that road all night. We joked around and called the cars wind machines because you'd hear the sound of the air before the engine or exhaust. They were easily going 100mph in a 35. Never any tickets issued. Amazing. The cop who got in the accident was pulled off patrol and made detective

I had 15% tint on my car before. It's roughly the same tint on the back windows of SUV's from the factory.  It kept the interior of my car noticeably cooler than other cars that didn't have the tint.

It really leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you get pulled over for window tint by a cop whose patrol car has tinted windows.  It was not a K9 unit, as the city doesn't even have a K9 unit in their department. 

I never got a ticket for it, but it became such a hassle getting pulled over left and right for it that I took it off. 

And it's not like I was speeding, driving a loud car or something else... the cops openly said the reason they pulled me over was because of the tint.

The statute is NJAC 13:20-37.2. It spells out the exemption as you will see below.

§ 13:20-32.7 Glazing; official inspection facilities

(a) All glazing used on motor vehicles manufactured after July 1, 1935, shall be an approved type of glazing which is legibly and permanently marked with the manufacturer's name, trademark, DOT number, "AS" number, or other distinctive designation under which the glazing was approved, so as to be visible when the glazing is installed in the motor vehicle. The proper type of glazing shall be used for each location in a motor vehicle. The approved locations for the various types of glazing are as follows:

1. AS-1: Mandatory in windshields but may be used for any other window in a motor vehicle;

2. AS-2: Anywhere except windshields;

3. AS-3: Rear side windows on buses;

4. AS-4, AS-5, AS-6 and AS-7: Rear windows of convertibles and windows (except windshields) which can be readily removed without the use of tools;

5. AS-8 and AS-9: Rear windows of buses;

6. AS-10: Bullet-resistant windshields;

7. AS-11: Bullet-resistant windows except windshields; and

8. AS-12 and AS-13: Windows (except windshields) which can be readily removed without the use of tools.

(b) All openings in a motor vehicle which were originally manufactured with glazing shall be equipped with an approved type of glazing.

© Certification of a motor vehicle shall be refused if the motor vehicle is equipped with glazing which causes undue or unsafe distortion of visibility for the driver, or is equipped with unduly fractured, broken, cracked, discolored, scratched, or deteriorated glazing, or is equipped with glazing with sharp edges.

(d) A motor vehicle, other than a police vehicle or a motor vehicle for which a medical exemption certificate has been issued by the Motor Vehicle Commission in accordance with N.J.S.A. 39:3-75.1 et seq., shall not be certified which has tinted spray or plastic material added to previously approved glazing in the front windshield or windows, vents, wings, deflectors, or side shields to the immediate right or left of the driver, because such condition changes the vision and light transmission properties of the glazing in areas where driver visibility shall not be obscured or obstructed; provided, however, tinted spray or plastic material may be applied to previously approved glazing in the front windshield if such spray or material extends no lower than six inches from the top of the front windshield or such spray or material does not extend below the AS-1 marking on the front windshield.

"because such condition changes the vision and light transmission properties of the glazing in areas where driver visibility shall not be obscured or obstructed".

So isn't this a safety issue?  Why is are police vehicles exempt?

The statute is NJAC 13:20-37.2. It spells out the exemption as you will see below.

(d) A motor vehicle, other than a police vehicle

So, it's one of those "it's legal for us, but illegal for you" kind of things.

When I was a firefighter, I actually preferred cars in car accidents that had window tint as it kept the pane in one piece, rather than throwing tiny shards of glass all over the driver and passenger.  In an accident, if one of those tiny pieces of safety glass ends up in your eye, you're going to have some vision issues, if you don't go blind.

I didn't write the law nor is my patrol car tinted.  I don't like tinted front windows, it makes it difficult to see at night.  My rear windows are tinted and there is absolutely no doubt it is harder to see out of the back tinted windows vs. the front clear windows when it is dark......The NJ State Government wrote the law.

Besides, if someone has tinted windows I would just stand back, tap on the window and have the driver exit the vehicle.  I don't like standing at the window when I cannot see inside.  I think there was an officer shot multiple times about a year ago up north when he approached a tinted out car.  I guarantee you he doesn't like tint either.

I have battleship plates on my truck so I don't care about that, but I sure as hell am never going to drill holes in my 02 SS Camaro. I zip tied the plate on my billet grille after 10 tickets. Once I become an LEO, the plate is coming right off.

I'm confused. Does being an LEO exempt you from this law?

I didn't write the law nor is my patrol car tinted.  I don't like tinted front windows, it makes it difficult to see at night.  My rear windows are tinted and there is absolutely no doubt it is harder to see out of the back tinted windows vs. the front clear windows when it is dark......The NJ State Government wrote the law.

Besides, if someone has tinted windows I would just stand back, tap on the window and have the driver exit the vehicle.  I don't like standing at the window when I cannot see inside.  I think there was an officer shot multiple times about a year ago up north when he approached a tinted out car.  I guarantee you he doesn't like tint either.

I know, I'm not blaming you or anything, I'm just saying the NJ legislature with its ridiculous laws and exemptions for some. 

Just like how people complain that cops are on their cell phones while driving...they are exempt.  I have to keep a copy of the law in my car because I have an Amateur Radio in the car and cops think the mic is a cell phone...I've been pulled over for it before and had to show the officer the copy of the law I have with the amateur radio exemption highlighted. 

And when I did have the tint, and got pulled over, the first thing I did was put both front windows down. 

One type of vehicle that I'm seeing more, and more often with tinted windows are tow trucks. I don't know how they are getting away with that since they come to (almost) every accident, vehicle impound, and disabled vehicle that police call about and are on scene.  I know one fairly large towing company that services most of my county, including the Garden State Parkway has most of their trucks tinted with what appears to be at least 5% tint. 

I know, I'm not blaming you or anything, I'm just saying the NJ legislature with its ridiculous laws and exemptions for some. 

Just like how people complain that cops are on their cell phones while driving...they are exempt.  I have to keep a copy of the law in my car because I have an Amateur Radio in the car and cops think the mic is a cell phone...I've been pulled over for it before and had to show the officer the copy of the law I have with the amateur radio exemption highlighted. 

And when I did have the tint, and got pulled over, the first thing I did was put both front windows down. 

One type of vehicle that I'm seeing more, and more often with tinted windows are tow trucks. I don't know how they are getting away with that since they come to (almost) every accident, vehicle impound, and disabled vehicle that police call about and are on scene.  I know one fairly large towing company that services most of my county, including the Garden State Parkway has most of their trucks tinted with what appears to be at least 5% tint. 

I've seen the amateur radio trucks driving around many times, I suppose they are the ones with the very large antennae?  I've never looked twice at them.  As far as the tow trucks, I agree.  I went at it with one a few months ago.  He had every window tinted, including the windshield (I couldn't see a thing).  He said he bought it like that (I didn't believe him) but since he had just registered it and it was new I gave him the benefit of doubt.   All of our tow trucks are inspected annually, any tint and they are exempt from towing for us.

I've seen the amateur radio trucks driving around many times, I suppose they are the ones with the very large antennae?  I've never looked twice at them.  As far as the tow trucks, I agree.  I went at it with one a few months ago.  He had every window tinted, including the windshield (I couldn't see a thing).  He said he bought it like that (I didn't believe him) but since he had just registered it and it was new I gave him the benefit of doubt.   All of our tow trucks are inspected annually, any tint and they are exempt from towing for us.

My car has just this antenna on the trunk lid- it's only a VHF/UHF antenna:

H0-001019A.jpg

I don't have HF(high frequency) capabilities in my car, but on ones that do, you'll often see this antenna(which is very common among mobile HF operators, it is called a screwdriver):

lthmountff.jpg

And yeah, I was a volunteer firefighter for 5 years, and part of our coverage area was the GSP, so I got to see the towing rigs all the time...and they were exactly as you explained- window tint all around, including the windshield.  I won't specifically name the company, but they have my county seat in the name ;)  :lol: 

I'm in the midst of getting back into the whole volunteer fire thing, albeit with a different department. 

Has anyone ever went past the posted speed limit? Same thing.

Please, I'm dieing to know how people speeding, who get tickets for it.... is the same thing as an LEO not running front plates knowing he will never get a ticket for it? and some how your comment on working holidays fits in? I'm not following.. not complaining either, but to justify it is just plain wrong.

And yeah, I was a volunteer firefighter for 5 years, and part of our coverage area was the GSP, so I got to see the towing rigs all the time...and they were exactly as you explained- window tint all around, including the windshield.  I won't specifically name the company, but they have my county seat in the name ;)  :lol:

I'm in the midst of getting back into the whole volunteer fire thing, albeit with a different department. 

Take it from me, the grass is never greener.. though a different species of grass is sometimes needed...

My car has just this antenna on the trunk lid- it's only a VHF/UHF antenna:

H0-001019A.jpg

I don't have HF(high frequency) capabilities in my car, but on ones that do, you'll often see this antenna(which is very common among mobile HF operators, it is called a screwdriver):

lthmountff.jpg

are they C.H.T.????

See I actually agree with that reasoning, but it's not bad enough for me not to do it.  I have every window tinted, entire windshield included. 5% on the back half, 15% on the front and 35% on the windshield.  I love it and dont think I could go back to driving full time without it.  Yes it makes it more difficult to drive at times but it's not very hard to get used to, having HID headlights makes it much easier as well.  I've only gotten pulled over for the tint once and was let go, I think the law enforcement license plates helped.

Oh, and I have my front license plate tinted, never had a problem with that.

I'm confused. Does being an LEO exempt you from this law?

No it does not. My agency inspects all employees vehicles every 6 months. If any Title 39 infraction is found (tint, lp cover, no front plate, no ins, no reg, no inspection, unapproved equipment, cracked windshield, obstructed view, etc...) you get a ticket and written up. If we are going to enforce it on others we will enforce it on ourselves first.

I have no problem with this and frankly, I wish all PDs did it.

No it does not. My agency inspects all employees vehicles every 6 months. If any Title 39 infraction is found (tint, lp cover, no front plate, no ins, no reg, no inspection, unapproved equipment, cracked windshield, obstructed view, etc...) you get a ticket and written up. If we are going to enforce it on others we will enforce it on ourselves first.

I have no problem with this and frankly, I wish all PDs did it.

That's how it should be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD