david8613

would you use a 1911 for home defense?

would you use a 1911 for home defense? I asked this because from what I have been reading the 1911 platform requires a litte more massaging and more maintenance to keep running tip top shape. all my weapons are for home defense, none are for just plinking at the range.

Yes. Its in my bedside safe right now.

I think there are better options these days. IMHO, the best handgun gun for any kind of defense is one with no manual safety that you can forget in the heat of the moment.  That's why revolvers are still a very potent platform for the average Home Defense utility.

I think the problem arises when you mix guns - that is when you keep a Beretta 92FS in a safe downstairs and a 1911 in the case upstairs.  That's two different guns with two different manual of arms.  Better to stay with one platform.

If you always shoot with a Glock, but keep your 1911 for home defense, you could have problems.

I don't think they require any more or less maintenance than any other gun.  I remember when I was on my Beretta kick and buying up all things Beretta, my 1911 stayed unused in a safe for a year.  When I finally took it out to go to the range, it went Bang with no problems.

A 1911 and a Kabar is an absolutely proven HD combination.

:picknose:

b42b8db552e37c3189fd54ca380cd909_zps6d21

Hey it worked in WWI trench warfare and it is still state of the art tactics! Whatever you do, do not look at modern TTPs employed by high speed tactical units as a basis for you HD tactics. It does not apply. :facepalm:

Seriously Jon, be careful. Your gender and profession will be questioned, you will be accused of "bloviating" and you will be threatened with a "calling out" (whatever that is). Then when you offer to go head to head on a timer, all you will hear is silence......

:rofl: :ROFL: :rofl:

I do not now but I have in the past. Never was robbed at home when I had my 1911 serving as my home defense gun. :)

I do not know why you think all 1911's are unreliable without having work done on them. Like any other gun, most will work great and a few will not. Spend the money and you get what you paid for. I never spent less than $900 for a 1911 and all of mine have been reliable.

Nah. Anything is loud indoors at a range where you are just having fun and not stressed.

Luckily when you are scared your body does some pretty cool things to protect itself like Auditory Exclusion.

If you think a .45 ACP is loud, you should hear a .44 Mag, a 5.56 (especially an SBR) or a 12g!! :blink:

Not to turn it into a long arm vs pistol debate but I much prefer a pistol. I concede that for reasons of overpenetration and effectiveness a rifle is a better choice. But for me, I prefer the concealability of a pistol. My view is that in having the ability to conceal the pistol, I dont raise any alarms. I can investigate without triggering a swat team descending on my position should it turn out to be a false alarm. That and I am very confident in my abilities with a 1911.

I am curious as to why a couple of people here recommend the AR for home defense? What about sweeping the room with it vs. a pistol? I guess it depends on the size of your home. I tend to agree with the concealability of a pistol. Not that everyone cares about it, but going outside to investigate something with an AR, and if it is a false alarm, I can imagine if you have nosy neighbors there could be problems. If you go outside with a pistol and flashlight, you can always tuck the pistol in your pants and walk away.

Clearing even small rooms with a rifle is easy with the right training and techniques, and while it may be slightly less "comfortable" than doing it with a pistol it isnt hard and the advantages a 5.56 rifle affords you over any pistol makes it worth it.

If something goes bump in the night and I can get my family and hole up in one room that is what I am doing. I am not searching my house alone while my family is left alone.

If that is not an option, I could care less what my neighbors think. I will get the most effective weapon I can in my hands and go to work.