Sign in to follow this  
Displaced Texan

H&K USP Compact

Excellent guns. Have owned a few and issued one for while now. Ergonomics are very good. Grip is very positive and I know the .40 is very soft shooting. Have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through them with the only malfunctions being magazines. I actually had a tan framed back in 04 and sold it like a dumbass.

I have a USPc in .45ACP.  The pros are it is reliable, handles recoil nicely for a compact and fits my hand nicely.  The con is magazines are expensive and you cannot shoot lead bullets.  The only caveat would be the price.  If the price is right, I say buy. 

My HK USP Compact 45 was my last carry and is now retired to one of my HD weapons. IMHO it's as accurate as a full size 1911... My prior was a govt 1911 and it shoots just as well considering the small barrel. Possibly due to the polygon barrels they use.

You'll enjoy it.... Especially for your first HK... Get yourself some snap caps so you can dry fire and practice before hitting the range. Not sure what you shot, but new muscle memory may be required before mastered.

When I got mine years ago, (it was considered an exotic gun), I was used to a 1911 and had to get passed the conventional mag release as well as the way it shot.

Wow... My 40 is one of my favs.... Guess if you aren't a big guy it'd be a prob... Didn't you feel it up before you got it?

I have an issued full size .40 and I hate it. It's big, heavy, and has the worst DAO trigger I have ever used.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Wow... My 40 is one of my favs.... Guess if you aren't a big guy it'd be a prob... Didn't you feel it up before you got it?

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I didn't choose The USP it was issued to me, and unfortunately I carry it every day. The rumor is we are going over to S&W M&P .40 next year. Man I hope so.

I don't like that HK used a proprietary rail on that gun. If it's a compact 40, you can do a .357 sig conversion though which is nice.

If I recall correctly, the original USP came around 1993, while Mil STD 1913 came around 1995. In other words, when the USP came out, the picatinny rail standard didn't exist. If you want a USP native light, the Streamlight TLR3/TLR4 can be ordered in a USP compatible model.

I really like how the USP shot. I like the choice of triggers (DA/SA with various safety options, DAO, LEM), which are designed to be converted between each other (the newer P30 doesn't officially support this, since the frames are different, though some have tried).

A shame I can't keep mine. Once I move out its one of the first firearms I plan on getting (again).

Magazines are not that expensive, I am fairly certain the USPc uses the same magazines as the P2000, which are available for $37 at Top Gun Supply. The USP series is also easily converted between DA/SA, LEM (my platform of choice), etc.  IMHO the only drawback might be holster availability and the proprietary rail but most WML's have adapters readily available. 

Also, you can use P30 magazines with an Xgrip adapter if you want a little more capacity.

Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate the advice!

I like the ergos, I like the feel of this pistol in my hand, even more so than my Glock 22 (did I really say that??!!).

First order of business would be night sights. Any recommendations?

I like Trijicons for my Glock, but am not married to them.