Dargo72

Range Options Near Chatham, NJ

No, just people that have not shot before.  They want the new person and everyone else to be safe, and that means making sure they know how to handle a weapon so they only put holes in the targets :)

No, just people that have not shot before.  They want the new person and everyone else to be safe, and that means making sure they know how to handle a weapon so they only put holes in the targets :)

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm visiting a friend this weekend and we'd like to go to a range near him. Any good places to go near Chatham, NJ? Somewhere where you can use your own ammo would be great.

You do realise that you cant go to his house and visit him and then go to the range if what you are going to shoot is a handgun.

Hope on 78 and go to Heritage Guild in Easton. They don't charge u $25 just b/c u have never shot there before. They have a nice size store to browse around, a small lounge area and the range is nice as well.

I've heard the Woodland Park range in North Jersey is incredibly nice as well.

RTSP does not charge to fill out paper work, just your port time for non members. The video...you sit in a room and fill out your paperwork. There is no test. Hand in paperwork, get photographed. Use your own ammo? Have to use theirs if you are renting. From Chatham takes the same amount of time to get either there or woodland park.

Hope on 78 and go to Heritage Guild in Easton. They don't charge u $25 just b/c u have never shot there before. They have a nice size store to browse around, a small lounge area and the range is nice as well.

I've heard the Woodland Park range in North Jersey is incredibly nice as well.

Just have to watch a safety video and ur good to go @ the easton pa range

From reading their website, if you are experienced and know what you are doing you shouldn't have to pay the $25.  Sounds like it is prob for someone who has never handled a gun before:

"Do I need any experience to shoot at the range? No! We allow shooters of all experience levels. All first time shooters will be required to take our 15 Minute Intro Class for $25. The Intro Class is done all day long and no appointment is necessary."

So if you've shot before, no need to pay an addtional $25.  Sounds like it is a quick course for true newbies.

I would still recommend Hertiage Guild in Easton if you aren't pressed for time.  Really nice place and people.  I've heard the same about the Woodland Park range in North Jersey (used to be called West Paterson I believe and they changed the name of the town a short time ago).  Not putting RTSP down.  I've only been into the store and never shot at the range as it was too packed when I went.  RTSP is probably closest to you.

Enjoy where ever you go!

Thank you all.

We went to  RTSP and had a good time.  Printed out the paperwork online and filled them out before going.  Just handed them the paperwork, they take your picture, and hold your DL while there.

Facility and staff were very nice and helpful.  One of the range instructors spent a fair amount of time helping my friend with some technique tips.  

Overall, a great experience and a place where my friend is no considering becoming a member.

Thanks again.

You do realise that you cant go to his house and visit him and then go to the range if what you are going to shoot is a handgun.

I asked the NJSP a similar question. Basically, what if, I stop at a friend's house to pick him up to go shooting, and afterwards, we return to his house to hang out for a bit (assuming we bring guns inside, and store them properly, and he also has an FID). The detective couldn't give me a straight answer on that. He said "the law doesn't state that is wrong, but it also doesn't state it's allowed...unfortunately you have to make that call yourself".

Take it for what it's worth.

I asked the NJSP a similar question. Basically, what if, I stop at a friend's house to pick him up to go shooting, and afterwards, we return to his house to hang out for a bit (assuming we bring guns inside, and store them properly, and he also has an FID). The detective couldn't give me a straight answer on that. He said "the law doesn't state that is wrong, but it also doesn't state it's allowed...unfortunately you have to make that call yourself".

Take it for what it's worth.

This further points to the ambiguity in the NJ laws, but I really hate to hear a response like that from a cop.   In fact, it's the cop who would make the call in the event you are stopped.   It's not expecting too much to ask them how they would make the call.

I agree, and it's unfortunate that it'll be up to the cop's discretion. That same NJSP detective told me "I would tell you what I think, but I'm not allowed to say", and my impression was he even thinks it's a bunch of bs.