Sign in to follow this  
Shawnmoore81

Lap dance tax

I don't see how they would even collect any $$ off this, as lap dances are paid for in cash and the strippers are likely not reporting their income.  The city would need an agent in every strip club at all times to track the number of lap dances being given any particular shift.  

Where do I apply?

I don't see how they would even collect any $$ off this, as lap dances are paid for in cash and the strippers are likely not reporting their income.  The city would need an agent in every strip club at all times to track the number of lap dances being given any particular shift.  

Where do I apply?

I was thinking the same thing.  How could they possibly enforce this?  Unless, its registered as a sale, like a drink, and the $ placed in the register.   

It's a big deal in Philly. They made the law go back 5 years and just hit the clubs with it now. Philly says some clubs owe the city more than $475k. Club owners are suing the city.

From e article I found it sounds like its not a new tax but a new interpretation that dances qualify for the tax. Basically Philly has an Entertainment tax and the Lap Dance is a form of entertainment that is separate from the club (and the taxes it already pays). That's why they can go after back taxes. I agree with the sentiment here and in the article that it smacks of desperation.

It's a big deal in Philly. They made the law go back 5 years and just hit the clubs with it now. Philly says some clubs owe the city more than $475k. Club owners are suing the city.

Spitzer and Weiner are both running for office in NY, and you can be sure they'll oppose such a measure there.