tomgwarrior

CJRP Range has raised their rates

Yup, saw that in this months news letter.  Glad I joined earlier this year.  

At least they put the money to good use i.e. buying the surrounding land, donating to pro 2A organizations, etc.  

Honestly after shooting at a half dozen different places in NJ CJRPC is by far the nicest place to shoot IMO, and when I go there on weekdays it's not uncommon I'm one of a handful of people shooting.  I have never had to wait to shoot, and when I use the rifle range there have never been more than 3 other shooters on the range.  

I plan on joining this month and my luck the rates go up.

It's worth it, don't let the extra $200 discourage you.  If you go to the meetings they wind up donating a significant amount of $ to veterans assoc, 2A organizations, or improving the grounds.  The money you shell out isn't wasted by any means.  

The place is very large and I would assume it costs a lot to keep maintained. They are always spending money to help impove and upgrade the club. It is worth the money and while raising it up $200 might seem a little steep, the money is going to help improve the club one way or another and you are getting access to the best all around club in NJ.  

$850 to get in the door is a lot of coin no matter what you get. That's almost like paying for a 4 year membership at most other ranges.  This was clearly a move to slow down  new memberships so the range does not get overcrowded. From what I heard they were getting 50+ new members a month. 

I was going to join in the fall and started to put money aside to join but unfortunately I'll have to pass with the increase. Would have loved to become a member there. 

Is it just me or does $600 seem like a very large sum of money to belong to a private range? I know they host many different comps and have all sorts of different facilities and ranges, but damn that's quite a chunk of change.

Drez,

Have you been there?  Have you seen the facility?  It makes Cherry Ridge look like a child's playground.  24/7 indoor range.  Real 5 stand trap.  If I were closer I would, in a heart beat.

I suppose some of you have not investigated why Disney's Parks charge so much for admission - you should read up on that and do some thinking and apply it to this situation as well.

This was also telegraphed for pretty much ever.  Gun owners in NJ to some extent are a victim of their own growth, there are only so many places to shoot and those places can only handle so many people. At some point supply and demand will make prices shift. 

What we really need is MORE ranges, because the existing ones can't support the traffic. Raising the fees at the exiting ones creates an economic environment where it is worth investing into new ranges. Of course, then government will get in the way ...

I've been there several times.  It's a wonderful place.  Yes, the initial lay-out is some coin, BUT unlike most 25-yard indoor-only commercial ranges, you don't pay by the hour IN ADDITION to your annual membership fee!  So if you shoot a lot and do the math, you wind-up paying more to join and shoot at a commercial, for-profit range.  And then have to put-up with high-powered rifles at an indoor range while you're trying to teach a friend or wife or kid how to shoot a .22, so BIATCH all you want, but CJ is NIRVANA.......and if not for the shore traffic this time of year I'd probably be a member there too!

Dave

I think it's a great if you really break down the cost.

Both my wife and I shoot, and we go 1-2 times a month.  If I went to Bullet Hole, Bayonne, RTSP or anywhere it will cost me at least $30 an hour for the both of us.

I live in Jersey City, but I'm willing to take the drive 1:15 drive down there and we're there for 3-5 hrs each time we're there.  That would be $90- $150 each day if we were at a standard range!!! 

There are the general pistol range, AKA pits, where are awesome.  I was debating between OB which is 45 mins away from me, but its so crowded there during the weekend.  I can also guest the same friend in for free 2x before they have to join.

Either way, I may drive an hour more each time but I have more fun at CJRPC and it does cost less in the long run.

If I still lived in Millstone Twp I would be a member at CJ, but since I live 10 minutes from either of OBRPC's ranges, I am a member there. We also have much more freedom at OB than CJ. I would gladly pay another $200 one-time fee for OB if they would spend the money on a real shotgun course! Nothing beats CJ for shotgun, as fas as private ranges go.

The place is very large and I would assume it costs a lot to keep maintained. They are always spending money to help impove and upgrade the club. It is worth the money and while raising it up $200 might seem a little steep, the money is going to help improve the club one way or another and you are getting access to the best all around club in NJ.  

Agree. I held off joining the last few years since getting back into shooting because of the $400 Capital fee. I want to move out of this state and didn't want to pay it and then move.

I realized I wouldn't be moving for at least a few years, so joined 2 years ago. If you shoot enough, you get your moneys worth. I feel I have used the range so much in the last 2 years, that if i moved out of state tomorrow, I wouldn't feel like I threw the $400 away.

$600 is a lot of money, but you get a lot for it and if you shoot regularly, it's worth it in the long run.

There is a work requirement. Its like $60 or something and can be met by attending 6 of the monthly meetings, among other things. Most people just pay it. 

There is no work requirement.  If you work you can get money off your dues. If you attend 4 regular member meetings you get $50.00 off your dues. I have never paid more than $150.00 for my yearly dues. I usually only pay $100.00 because I sign up new members, volunteer and attend meetings.

Sorry I just looked at the rest of the posts and I'm a little late with this.

Edited by NJJim

Actually it isn't that simple. You can get the $50 off in a number of ways, including by working, I know this because I have never attended 4 meetings, but I get the "discount" for running matches. So, as I said it isn't a requirement, it is a discount. The same applies to Old Bridge, it may be worded as a "requirement" but seeing how you can pay it off, it isn't an actual requirement, it helps if you think of the yearly fee as being higher, with the possibility of a discount for both.