tomgwarrior

CJRP Range has raised their rates

It's worth it, don't let the extra $200 discourage you.  If you go to the meetings they wind up donating a significant amount of $ to veterans assoc, 2A organizations, or improving the grounds.  The money you shell out isn't wasted by any means.  

Go to board meetings. Money is CONSTANTLY wasted. It's just spent on inefficiency and bad plans rather than individual items you wouldn't approve of. 

As for the rate increase, last I checked, the capital improvement fee was supposed to represent collecting the equivalent of the surcharges passed on to the existing members. Raising it $200 bucks without an assessment levied on the membership seems to not be kosher. On the other hand converting us to a non-profit, with the ensuing problems that caused, was done without following the articles of incorporation for the club either. So....

I wouldn't be surprised if the membership got an assessment notification this year. 

Go to board meetings. Money is CONSTANTLY wasted. It's just spent on inefficiency and bad plans rather than individual items you wouldn't approve of. 

As for the rate increase, last I checked, the capital improvement fee was supposed to represent collecting the equivalent of the surcharges passed on to the existing members. Raising it $200 bucks without an assessment levied on the membership seems to not be kosher. On the other hand converting us to a non-profit, with the ensuing problems that caused, was done without following the articles of incorporation for the club either. So....

I wouldn't be surprised if the membership got an assessment notification this year. 

gonna request the papers soon as all work is seemingly done by board friends.

as a member, you can request the papers although it's discouraged.

If you want you can attend the board meetings. They are interesting, I have to go to a couple of year to deal with match logistics. The board meetings are open to the membership, but there isn't a lot of room, they take place in the clubhouse, upstairs, and they are on the calendar. 

Just joined last month. The 400.dollar fee I couldn't justify until I went as a guest a few times. I live 10 minutes away and can shoot pretty much anytime I want. Range 14 just can't cut it for me anymore, limited times, and only 4  half days,3 in the winter, about the only  exception for me is the fact I can still shoot 50 bmg.  CJRPC  is really well maintained, clean, safe, and friendly. For me worth the money I can now shoot every day if I want. 

I was really thinking about joining but I think this ended it for me. $600 is a lot to shell out for what would like essentially be a rifle range for me. Its just to far for me.

Yea me too. Almost $900 to get in is alot to shell out right now Was about three months too late. I was planning to join in October as a birthday present to myself. If I did not shell out $180 a few months ago for the new range opening by me I may have joined. Maybe next summer.

I bet the members dues will increase as well. Will have to factor in that as well. I also have sjrc in Winslow I can join for $250 if the price gets to high.

Just joined last month. The 400.dollar fee I couldn't justify until I went as a guest a few times. I live 10 minutes away and can shoot pretty much anytime I want. Range 14 just can't cut it for me anymore, limited times, and only 4  half days,3 in the winter, about the only  exception for me is the fact I can still shoot 50 bmg.  CJRPC  is really well maintained, clean, safe, and friendly. For me worth the money I can now shoot every day if I want. 

This was effectively the same reason I joined.  

Anyone else have input on this?  I personally have no knowledge of it one way or another as I have never been to a board meeting.  It would be a shame if they were in fact wasting money that could be put to better use.  

gonna request the papers soon as all work is seemingly done by board friends.

as a member, you can request the papers although it's discouraged.

Good luck with that. They have seriously resisted in the past. They like ignoring their own rules.  I've been fairly politic for me on this subject. 

Good luck with that. They have seriously resisted in the past. They like ignoring their own rules.  I've been fairly politic for me on this subject. 

legally they can't resist and have to give you them in 'reasonable time'.  The problem is the people that may have asked don't know the rules/law well enough or didn't know what could be done about it if they said no.

There is a work requirement. Its like $60 or something and can be met by attending 6 of the monthly meetings, among other things. Most people just pay it. 

It's 4 meetings and $50, but this is an option, not a requirement. 

Well, Old bridge isn't really a requirement either. The way I look at it in both places is that the membership fee is actually higher, but you can get a discount by putting in some "work hours". 

Actually it isn't that simple. You can get the $50 off in a number of ways, including by working, I know this because I have never attended 4 meetings, but I get the "discount" for running matches. So, as I said it isn't a requirement, it is a discount. The same applies to Old Bridge, it may be worded as a "requirement" but seeing how you can pay it off, it isn't an actual requirement, it helps if you think of the yearly fee as being higher, with the possibility of a discount for both. 

I'm not sure I follow. Correct me if I am wrong but OB dues are like $350, cjrpc is $250. At OB, if you don't meet the work requirement, your pay them a fee. At CJ, if you work, you get a discount.

That is like apples and oranges. CJ is obviously the better range IMO and cheaper overall if your a member for 3 years or more.

Also, according to the discount people at CJ, if you work a match that you shoot in, you shouldn't be getting work credits. I tend to disagree but that is what I was told.

btw, I posted about this earlier but might have put it in the CJRPC sub forum. I think it was voted in may and the only chance members had to warn possible new members was like a day or two for the june new members meeting. Kinda think that went in awful fast.

btw, I posted about this earlier but might have put it in the CJRPC sub forum. I think it was voted in may and the only chance members had to warn possible new members was like a day or two for the june new members meeting. Kinda think that went in awful fast.

If thats the case I also think it was pushed through rather quickly. I have 2 friends who were planning on joining and if I was aware of the increase prior to reading it in the newsletter I would of encouraged them to join last month.

If thats the case I also think it was pushed through rather quickly. I have 2 friends who were planning on joining and if I was aware of the increase prior to reading it in the newsletter I would of encouraged them to join last month.

Me too. I got the newsletter on the last Wednesday of June. I read it at like 5pm, so I had 1 hour notice for them and it wouldn't have mattered

Good point. I got a tour from a member three weeks ago and he said nothing of price increase and he needed one more person to join under his name for some discount he gets. If I would have known I would have signed up in June. 

Why would they do this mid year anyway? Seems like this is something that should have been done in December or January. 

Any chance they hold this off a couple of months or is this a done deal? I would love to get in this August or September. I have been saving pennies to get in. lol

I'm not sure I follow. Correct me if I am wrong but OB dues are like $350, cjrpc is $250. At OB, if you don't meet the work requirement, your pay them a fee. At CJ, if you work, you get a discount.

That is like apples and oranges. CJ is obviously the better range IMO and cheaper overall if your a member for 3 years or more.

Also, according to the discount people at CJ, if you work a match that you shoot in, you shouldn't be getting work credits. I tend to disagree but that is what I was told.

Ok think of it this way, (and my numbers might be wrong, this is an example)

OB is 350 and if you don't work it is 120 more

CJ is 200 and if you don't work it's 50 more.

Or you can say

OB is 470 and there is a 120 discount if your work

CJ is 250 and there is a 50 discount if you work

There is no practical difference except in that OB is more expensive.

And the match thing is correct except that in my case I don't work the match, I run it, it's a different thing.

Don't know if it helps but membership is yearly and is prorated when you join so your actual member cost for July is like $111.50, Aug. $89.20 plus your 600. but that can be made in initial money and 4 quarterly payments. Either way 600. sucks

Yea me too. Almost $900 to get in is alot to shell out right now Was about three months too late. I was planning to join in October as a birthday present to myself. If I did not shell out $180 a few months ago for the new range opening by me I may have joined. Maybe next summer.

I bet the members dues will increase as well. Will have to factor in that as well. I also have sjrc in Winslow I can join for $250 if the price gets to high.

Dues are unlikely to increase. But like I said. If they raised the capital contribution fee, it would indicate a one time assessment is coming to the membership. If they follow the rules. 

Dues are unlikely to increase. But like I said. If they raised the capital contribution fee, it would indicate a one time assessment is coming to the membership. If they follow the rules.

Duno if they will stick to it or not but the newsletter said it would not affect current members at all.

Don't know if it helps but membership is yearly and is prorated when you join so your actual member cost for July is like $111.50, Aug. $89.20 plus your 600. but that can be made in initial money and 4 quarterly payments. Either way 600. sucks

Yeah I don't know if anyone has an issue with the dues itself lol

If that's the case then members are really lucky. The club may take a hit with new members and will lose out on the $400 per person.  50 new members a month is $20000 plus $12500 for memberships for improvements. I don't know why the board is concerned with too many members joining which made them raise the capital fee. From what I hear, on the weekdays the place is empty and weekends aren't bad at all. 

I would ask to see the books. Sounds like a lot of money being wasted or stolen. 

I was told that that half the capital fee must be paid up front along with dues and then can be broken down in payments after paying a $20 installment fee. Is this accurate? 

I was told that that half the capital fee must be paid up front along with dues and then can be broken down in payments after paying a $20 installment fee. Is this accurate? 

http://cjrpc.org/index.cfm?wpid=21

The amounts aren't updated yet, but:

Capitol Contribution ( a one time fee where you buy ownership in the club)

A)    Capital Contribution Fees are $400.00 (Non Taxable) 

B)    Capital Contribution Fee for spouse is $133 (1/3 of $400) 

C)    Capital Contribution Fee for children of members in good standing, living in same household, is $200.00 (Non Taxable) until age twenty-one (21). 

D)    Partial payment ($200 non taxable) Capital Contribution Fee can be paid by a new member upon joining

The remainder of the Capital Contribution Fee may be paid in no more than (4) equal quarterly installments of $55.00 (Non Taxable & $5.00 SERVICE CHARGE). 

4. A minimum Capital Contribution Fee and prorated dues is to be paid upon joining.