sure shot

Do we have a count down for Christie?

I'm voting third party. I wish everyone would. If he loses in nj he loses nationally.

then be prepared for Hillary Clinton as president.,

I just don't get this, it's a vote for a Dem if you vote anything but republican. Pinch your nose and pull the lessor of the 2 evils or face the worst for sure....

I just don't get this, it's a vote for a Dem if you vote anything but republican. Pinch your nose and pull the lessor of the 2 evils or face the worst for sure....

Seriously, you can thank the Assault Weapons ban on everyone who voted Ross Perot.

Edit: I just read that out loud and I sounded like Yoda.

You can thank everyone who voted for Ross Perot, thus allowing the Assault Weapons Ban.

Considering his main claim to fame as NJ Head Fed, was the prosecution of a bunch of  unpopular, muslim-ish, knuckleheads that were led on by a gov't informant, of course he would be opposed to dismantling even a small part of the Law Enforcement Industry.

He probably lays awake at night thinking he's the next Ronald regan. I hate star f'ing politicians as much as turncoat politicians

Christie wants to be the Establishment GOP candidate. He will likley not make it through the primaries. But if he does, he will lose to Hillary in 2016.  So let it be written, so let it be done.

I'll hold you to that. (Only because its true unless the republicans seriously change their platform around to gather more support)

its a vote for a Dem if you vote for a rino anyways.  the sooner the RINO establishment fails, the sooner another 2nd party can hopefully take over.  mcain and romney both failed against the worst president in the history of the US.  if my only choice is hillary or christie, i'll vote 3rd party.  and ill keep doing it until the republicans get someone in there that backs freedom and personal responsibility. i'll also probably vote against freulinghysen as i disagree with almost every one of his votes.  i wish garrett was still my representative

Christie can easily beat Hillary if he switches to the Democratic party. I'm just waiting for the day he decides to come out of the closet.

kind of feels like he's cracked the closet door open and is now sticking his head out to see if the coast is clear.....

Christie can easily beat Hillary if he switches to the Democratic party. I'm just waiting for the day he decides to come out of the closet.

The guy who went strongly against public employee unions, turned down federal education funds, is not reappointing liberal judges and vetoed gay marriage is some kind of closeted democrat all right. 

Maybe things need to get 10x worse for people to wake up. So I'm voting third party. To hell with the AWB. Let people who keep voting in these RINOs feel some pain. We have to burn to learn. 

Christie could have an easy ride via GOP victories if he simply vetoed all this anti-2A bs. I'm worried that he's waiting until close to the very end. There's plenty of time for another wacko to do something which would elicit the typical progressive statist emotional reaction of BAN ABCD-to-XYZ. I can't f'n wait to move out of this shithole!

Just a thought. Who you gonna vote for? Hitler and Stalin are running. I can't vote for the 3rd party guy. I like his platform but nobody knows him.  Must be a popularity contest.

Yah that's it. We have a choice. Kill all the Jews or kill the Poles and Ukranians.  

Maybe vote for nobody.

If this makes no sense to you then just vote for Hitler and say "I voted" cause I am a good citizen.      

Just a thought. Who you gonna vote for? Hitler and Stalin are running. I can't vote for the 3rd party guy. I like his platform but nobody knows him.  Must be a popularity contest.

Yah that's it. We have a choice. Kill all the Jews or kill the Poles and Ukranians.  

Maybe vote for nobody.

If this makes no sense to you then just vote for Hitler and say "I voted" cause I am a good citizen.      

Hahaha, "Kill all the Jews or kill the Poles and Ukranians"...

On a side-note, being of Catholic Polish descent, my grandparents supposedly lived fairly good lives during the Nazi occupation of Poland. Then, the Russians came around and took things from bad to worse. But, that could have been completely different had my grandparents been Jewish.

Christie needs to stop acting like a smooth-goon politician, and start reading the Constitution and let the votes follow after.

Maybe vote for nobody.

You're not too far off,

We've killed ourselves with the two party system. Our choices are now: Big government "right" and big government "left". We're leaving the "limited" government mentality for big government progressives. We've chosen as a country to be pacified by our government and letting them decide what's right and wrong, good and bad. Personal accountability is out the window and government knows best...this is a VERY dangerous for future events.

We used to differ from other countries because our government was accountable to "we the people"...in other words, it was limited to its over reach. The only difference in both parties is the who they appease as their voting block. However, in the end, it's big government control. I honestly don't believe there is any way back once all the power is centralized....we're very close to that as well.

With regard to the 45 day tick-down (and the contention here that it's only when the Legislature is in session) here's a cut-n-paste of Article V, Section I of the NJ State Constitution (1947 version as amended):

14.  (a) When a bill has finally passed both houses, the house in which final action was taken to complete its passage shall cause it to be presented to the Governor before the close of the calendar day next following the date of the session at which such final action was taken.

(b)  A passed bill presented to the Governor shall become law:

(1)  if the Governor approves and signs it within the period allowed for his consideration; or,

(2)  if the Governor does not return it to the house of origin, with a statement of his objections, before the expiration of the period allowed for his consideration; or,

(3)  if, upon reconsideration of a bill objected to by the Governor, two-thirds of all the members of each house agree to pass the bill.

©  The period allowed for the Governor's consideration of a passed bill shall be from the date of presentation until noon of the forty-fifth day next following or, if the house of origin be in temporary adjournment on that day, the first day subsequent upon which the house reconvenes; except that:

(1)  if on the said forty-fifth day the Legislature is in adjournment sine die, any bill then pending the Governor's approval shall be returned, if he objects to it, at a special session held pursuant to subparagraph (d) of this paragraph;

(2)  any bill passed between the forty-fifth day and the tenth day preceding the expiration of the second legislative year shall be returned by the Governor, if he objects to it, not later than noon of the day next preceding the expiration of the second legislative year;

(3)  any bill passed within 10 days preceding the expiration of the second legislative year shall become law only if the Governor signs it prior to noon of the seventh day following such expiration, or the Governor returns it to the House of origin, with a statement of his objections, and two-thirds of all members of each House agree to pass the bill prior to such expiration.

(d)  For the purpose of permitting the return of bills pursuant to this paragraph, a special session of the Legislature shall convene, without petition or call, for the sole purpose of acting upon bills returned by the Governor, on the forty-fifth day next following adjournment sine die of the regular session; or, if the second legislative year of a 2-year Legislature will expire before said forty-fifth day, then the day next preceding the expiration of the legislative year.

(e)  Upon receiving from the Governor a bill returned by him with his objections, the house in which it originated shall enter the objections at large in its journal or minutes and proceed to reconsider it. If, upon reconsideration, on or after the third day following its return, or the first day of a special session convened for the sole purpose of acting on such bills, two-thirds of all the members of the house of origin agree to pass the bill, it shall be sent, together with the objections of the Governor, to the other house; and if, upon reconsideration, it is approved by two-thirds of all the members of the house, it shall become a law. In all such cases the votes of each house shall be determined by yeas and nays, and the names of the persons voting for and against the bill shall be entered on the journal or minutes of each house.

(f)  The Governor, in returning with his objections a bill for reconsideration at any general or special session of the Legislature, may recommend that an amendment or amendments specified by him be made in the bill, and in such case the Legislature may amend and reenact the bill. If a bill be so amended and reenacted, it shall be presented again to the Governor, but shall become a law only if he shall sign it within 10 days after presentation, except that any bill amended and reenacted within 10 days preceding the expiration of the second legislative year shall become law only if the Governor signs it prior to noon of the seventh day following such expiration. No bill shall be returned by the Governor a second time. No bill need be read three times and no emergency resolution need be adopted for the reenactment of any bill at a special session of the Legislature.

Article V, Section I, paragraph 14 amended effective December 8, 1983.

15.  If any bill presented to the Governor shall contain one or more items of appropriation of money, he may object in whole or in part to any such item or items while approving the other portions of the bill.  In such case he shall append to the bill, at the time of signing it, a statement of each item or part thereof to which he objects, and each item or part so objected to shall not take effect.  A copy of such statement shall be transmitted by him to the house in which the bill originated, and each item or part thereof objected to shall be separately reconsidered.  If upon reconsideration, on or after the third day following said transmittal, one or more of such items or parts thereof be approved by two-thirds of all the members of each house, the same shall become a part of the law, notwithstanding the objections of the Governor.  All the provisions of the preceding paragraph in relation to bills not approved by the Governor shall apply to cases in which he shall withhold his approval from any item or items or parts thereof contained in a bill appropriating money.

Any Attorneys here to translate this for us definitively????

according to a members post on NJ2AS face book..

This member is a Local 102 Union worker and CC was speaking there and they had a Q&A part and he asked CC a question. I have copied and qouted his posts from a discussion over on NJ2AS FB page. Maybe this will shed some light

Original Post:

Well I did it.

About halfway through his question and answer I stood up and told Christie that I was concerned about the gun control bills on his desk and asked him what his intentions were.

He gave the expected responses. He did seem supportive of our plight though it may have been non-commital lip service. He did say he does not want to further burden us with more fees, especially ones incurred while exercising a constitutional right.

I asked about the time he has to sign or veto the bills and he said that we will see something with in the next 2-3 weeks.

I have to say I am glad I spoke up but it is not my forte. I said most of what I wanted to say but thought I could have emphasized my point a little better. Since I am new to the endeavor of protecting our rights I am not as well versed as I should be yet to argue very long or intelligently in a venue like that.

Something to work towards.

Replies to other peoples comments below...

One thing I am glad I made a point of saying was that all these laws did was further burden an already over-burdened group of law abiding citizens.

He made the point that we were second in the country with the stringency of our gun laws.

....he did say he would take action on the bills and was aware of the deadline. He also made a point to another person that he was a man of his word and does not capitulate on issues.

These are just some excerps from the postings over there and some interesting points others made in the replies

So assuming he does veto them, if its the same people who sent them to him in the first place they will try to override it. Wouldn't there still be a good chance they could still pass? I am not sure what the success rate is for vetoed bills being overridden.

I plan on moving to America within the next two years but this still concerns me.

The Democrats don't have the votes to overturn a governor's veto. By signing, Christie would also be in the position of voting against his own party a couple of months before an election.

The interesting bill on his desk is A3659 (.50 caliber ban) since Christie says on his website that he's in favor of banning .50 BMG rifles -- but his party voted against the bill.

I think that he'll either veto it citing some problem with the way the bill is written (banning the Pennsylvania Rifle that Hawkeye carried in "Last of the Mohicans")  -- or he'll sign it to show his "independence". 

No doubt he will sign some bills to show that he "cares about public safety" Even though I have no intentions of buying a .50 BMG it would be unfortunate for it to be banned but maybe he will veto it because of the registration requirement, which in itself sounds scary.