sure shot

Do we have a count down for Christie?

They were talking about this on 101.5 this morning (~8am or so).  They also mentioned all the violence in Trenton over the weekend.  The consensus seemed to be  that none of the 12 bills sitting on Christie's desk would do anything to prevent the problems in Trenton..

They were talking about this on 101.5 this morning (~8am or so).  They also mentioned all the violence in Trenton over the weekend.  The consensus seemed to be  that none of the 12 bills sitting on Christie's desk would do anything to prevent the problems in Trenton..

Yep, we all understand this. Unfortunately common sense and honesty are some of the things that totally escape the progressives in Trenton. They only care about their agenda, no matter how mentally unbalanced  it may sound to sane people.

I know the deadline has to be coming soon for some of there bills and we are still waiting with bated breath. I can't see what he is stalling for if he agreed they would be signed and if he didn't they should have been veto'ed by now, why keep us all guessing on such an important issue?

I am looking at property in PA either way. I've spent my whole life in NJ and know enough by now that there is no fixing this state, it has been a long time goal that I have kept putting off hoping that it could be but I don't want to raise kids here.

I know the deadline has to be coming soon for some of there bills and we are still waiting with bated breath. I can't see what he is stalling for if he agreed they would be signed and if he didn't they should have been veto'ed by now, why keep us all guessing on such an important issue?

Someone mentioned earlier that Christie is very politically astute.. Sign, Veto, or ignore, everything is analyzed, scrutinized, and done for a reason.  One thought was that he plans to Veto some of the bills and is trying to time it closer to the election to reduce amount of time his opponents have to spin it to their advantage.

Because it is an election year, and waiting as long as possible lets him deal with the fallout for the minimum length of time whichever way he chooses. 

Because it is an election year, and waiting as long as possible lets him deal with the fallout for the minimum length of time whichever way he chooses.

Waiting seems counter intuitive to me. The general public has the attention span of a flea with A.D.D. I would think it would best to go ahead and veto now, and put as much distance between that and the election, hoping that the liberals/antis will be distracted by the next shiny object/scandal.

Waiting seems counter intuitive to me. The general public has the attention span of a flea with A.D.D. I would think it would best to go ahead and veto now, and put as much distance between that and the election, hoping that the liberals/antis will be distracted by the next shiny object/scandal.

Because negative campaign ads can dredge up whatever they like. Do you want them running for six months or four?

Contact the Governor's office at 609-292-6000 to ask for veto of these bills...

S2723

A3659

A3687

A3797

A3717

Also, go to the NJ legislature website, click on Bills 2012-2013, then click on Voting Record, and see how your reps voted to protect (or NOT) your 2A rights!  You may be surprised... 

Wait so that hopefully the majority of liberals of Jersey forget and move onto the next thing that they rally for. Then he will silently veto them making red states and us happy. Optimistic I am lol

I called today and left my opinion, I hope it reaches the governor.  If these bills aren't vetoed then, I will be forced to move.  Living in a state where every special interested group but the gun lobby gets attention and their wants and wishes is not a state I want to live in.

I noticed a blip from one of the NJ.com articles that Christie mentioned he will act on them within the next week or two which has to be right near the deadline anyway.

I didn't see the NJ.com article but there was one on 101.5

A total of 15 gun control bills await action from Christie, but there’s no clear deadline. According to a spokesman with the legislature, he will have to take action on Assembly originated legislation the next time the Assembly has a quorum and the same for the Senate originated measures, but it’s unclear when that will take place in either house.

In an emailed response to a request seeking comment the first time the group held a State House press conference late last month, a Christie spokesman wrote, “In April, Governor Christie proposed his own comprehensive and responsible plan to reduce gun violence and help keep our streets and state safe. He will review the bills passed by the legislature, and announce a decision within the allotted 45 days.”

^^From ANJRPC

"

GOVERNOR CHRISTIE SIGNS 10 GUN BILLS!

NO ACTION TAKEN YET ON SWEENEY FID BILL
OR FIFTY CALIBER BAN!

Please keep contacting the Governor's Office!

This afternoon, Governor Christie announced that he signed 10 of the gun bills on his desk. Two of those bills are helpful to gun owners, six are neutral in their impact on gun rights as a result of amendments based on gun owner input, and two were opposed by gun owners.

Three other horrific anti-gun bills - the worst of the bills that made it to the Governor's desk -have not yet been acted upon by Governor Christie: the Sweeney "centerpiece" FID bill, the fifty caliber ban, and the trace data bill that would require the State Police to violate federal law.

It is critical that the Governor's office continue to hear from gun owners on the three bills that have not been acted on yet. Please do your part and keep urging the Governor to veto these bills. Please call the Governor's office ASAP at 609-292-6000, write him at P.O. Box 001, Trenton, N.J. 0862.5"

GOVERNOR CHRISTIE SIGNS 10 GUN BILLS!
NO ACTION TAKEN YET ON SWEENEY FID BILL
OR FIFTY CALIBER BAN!
Please keep contacting the Governor's Office!

This afternoon, Governor Christie announced that he signed 10 of the gun bills on his desk. Two of those bills are helpful to gun owners, six are neutral in their impact on gun rights as a result of amendments based on gun owner input, and two were opposed by gun owners. 

Three other horrific anti-gun bills - the worst of the bills that made it to the Governor's desk -have not yet been acted upon by Governor Christie: the Sweeney "centerpiece" FID bill, the fifty caliber ban, and the trace data bill that would require the State Police to violate federal law.

It is critical that the Governor's office continue to hear from gun owners on the three bills that have not been acted on yet. Please do your part and keep urging the Governor to veto these bills. Please call the Governor's office ASAP at 609-292-6000, write him at P.O. Box 001, Trenton, N.J. 08625, or send an email using the online contact form.

The 3 anti-gun bills on which the Governor has NOT yet acted are: 

S2723 - the awful Sweeney "omnibus" bill, which throws out existing FID cards and replaces them with either a privacy-invading driver license endorsement or other form of ID; suspends Second Amendment rights without proof of firearms training; ends private sales between background-checked licensed gun owners; effectively creates a registry of ammunition purchases and long gun sales; and imposes a 7-day waiting period for handgun purchases. 

A3659 - the fifty caliber gun ban, which in its final version bans firearms that shoot centerfire cartridges of any caliber that attain a muzzle energy of 12,000 ft-lbs. or greater. Though limited grandfathering has been added in response to gun owner concerns, the firearms must be registered, cannot be passed down to heirs, and owners will be civilly liable for damages if the firearm is used in a crime. Additionally, the bill has been amended specifically to prevent anyone with a pending order for these firearms from taking possession of them.

A3797 - Mandates that the State Police publicly disclose confidential ATF gun trace data in violation of explicit federal law limiting that data to law enforcement use only. This is an attempt by frustrated gun banners to circumvent the federal Tiarht Amendment, so that idiosyncrasies of the ATF's trace system can be exploited and manipulated to falsely suggest that law abiding citizens are a source of "crime guns." ATF has opposed similar efforts to circumvent confidentiality, which could compromise ongoing investigations. Note: a conditional veto by the Governor removing just the offending parts of A3797 would be sufficient.

The 2 bills that HELP gun owners which the Governor has signed are: 

A3788 - Prevents public disclosure of personal information of licensed firearms owners, including name, address, and phone number. The legislation prevents a repeat of what happened in New York State in January, when several newspapers obtained personal information of Empire State gun owners via freedom of information requests and then published that information both in print and on the internet. Publishing personal information of gun owners jeopardizes their safety and makes them targets for gun theft, in addition to raising significant privacy concerns.

A3796 - Addresses an anomaly in New Jersey's "assault" firearms statute that prevents those still in possession of banned firearms from lawfully disposing of them. This bill reopens a compliance window for a short time during which banned firearms could be lawfully disposed of. Although the compliance window is too short, and the bill fails to allow for lawful disposition of banned magazines and ammunition, it nonetheless offers a limited compliance opportunity that is a temporary improvement over current law.

The 2 bills opposed by gun owners which the Governor signed are: 

A3687 - Terror Watch List bill. Makes it possible to suspend Second Amendment rights without a specified requirement of due process, based on a secret government list compiled by federal bureaucrats with no published standards, no identified procedure to correct errors, and potential for enormous abuse by those in power. Proponents of the bill have argued that due process is available because there is a right to appeal any permit denial under New Jersey law. 

A3717 - Requires submission of certain mental health records to NICS without an explicit, stated requirement of due process within the legislation itself. ANJRPC has no objection to the core purpose of this legislation, but believes that the legislation needed to explicitly state that only records of persons who have had judicial due process (with a right of appeal) should be submitted to NICS. Proponents of the bill have argued that the NICS system itself, as well as New Jersey mental health law, contain independent due process requirements. 

The 6 bills signed by the Governor that have been neutralized in their impact on gun rights are: 

S1279 - Upgrades penalty for unlawful transfer of a firearm to a minor (specifically amended to exempt lawful instruction and training, competition and target shooting)

S2720 - Makes records regarding the total number of FID cards and handgun permits issued subject to public disclosure (does not disclose identity of gun owners)

S2804 - Upgrades penalty for unlawful firearms possession by felons or those engaged in serious criminal behavior.

S2430 - Creates a study commission on gun violence.

S2468 - Permits vehicle impoundment where felons or those engaged in serious criminal behavior are unlawfully in possession of firearms.

S2719 - Anti-trafficking legislation (amended to prevent numerous unintended consequences to legal gun owners).

My guess is he will veto the ATF trace data bill.  Then he will veto one of the other two and try to play the "I'm trying to make both sides happy card".

The other option would be veto all and have some remote shot at the POTUS nomination

OR Sign all three in and switch to democrat

A3717 - Requires submission of certain mental health records to NICS without an explicit, stated requirement of due process within the legislation itself.

I don't know about how anyone feels about this, but unless I'm reading it wrong, this scares the heck out of me....I thought Hippa laws were to prevent this kind of stuff? This seems like a certain (real) infringement of rights that can lead to ANY mental "illness" (IE-conservatism) to keep you from getting a firearm.

S2468 - Permits vehicle impoundment where felons or those engaged in serious criminal behavior are unlawfully in possession of firearms.

If a person drops a few hollow points from the range in his car, he is now a criminal. Can his/her vehicle be impounded? How about leaving a BB gun in your car and you forgot about it....grounds for impediment? What is "serious" criminal behavior.... owning a gun? Transporting slightly outside of the already stringent rule of law?

im convinced he is either running for president as a democrat or not running at all.  he knows he has nj and he knows pro gun people are still going to vote for him.  how many here plan to vote for him?i know i am not, but that was decided long ago.  

Seeing as though you should be transporting your hollow points to and from the range in a separate locked container, the likelihood of dropping a few HPs from the range in your car is a senario that won't happen if you are following the regs as you should be. Yea, the laws here are most often over the top, but for the sake of keeping ourselves out of trouble they aren't that hard to comply with. Lots of folks want to sing the blues, but how many are actually packing their sh1t and moving? The grass is greener almost everywhere else, and the political climate here isn't changing anytime soon. Let's just hope Christie vetos the remaining three bills. If he was really going to sign them, he would probably have already done so today.

. Let's just hope Christie vetos the remaining three bills. If he was really going to sign them, he would probably have already done so today.

I guess that's a good point..Or maybe just trying to see a silver lining.  If he was going to sign the new FID and 50cal ban why wouldn't he do it today with all the others.. no advantage to him by waiting.  My guess is that before he can veto he has to sign Form 45281A and his new intern messed up and brought form 42581B so they have to go back to the office first.

As I've said from the beginning...he will not veto any of them... They will all pass...he's just going through the motions just like the sham hearings/committees that pretended to listen(at least some did) although their votes were already decided.... It's like a cancer spreading like wildfire....and it won't be long before(if not already) it's at the point of no return..coast to coast