sure shot

Do we have a count down for Christie?

I was getting nervous when business hours closed and he approved the medical MJ and still no word on the gun bills.

I was listening to WABC news this morning and the only mention was of the medical marijuana bill which they got exactly backwards. (Only low information reporters and editors must be at work on Saturday!)

At the very least, this gives us a few years to find a life in an American state if New Jersey doesn't come to it's senses before that.

I just hope everyone takes a 5 minute refrain from calling him fat, doughnut pounder, my gov can eat your gov, etc and send him a thank you note.  He deserves it.

I have pretty much always stayed away from the attacks on the gov's weight.  I am not morbidly obese but I am not skinny either. I have a BMI of about 27 which is overweight... I know what it is like to battle with your weight, and I admire him for at least doing something about it!

I was listening to WABC news this morning and the only mention was of the medical marijuana bill which they got exactly backwards. (Only low information reporters and editors must be at work on Saturday!)

At the very least, this gives us a few years to find a life in an American state if New Jersey doesn't come to it's senses before that.

Only 3% of Americans really care about gun control as a current issue. The economy and jobs is #1. Miller, Bocour and the other hacks were making you think that everyone had torches and pitch forks coming for gun owners. Reality is most don't really care, and most people support us owning and carrying guns. 

Salient point...be happy but on guard ....this will come round agin..... We bought valuable time to rally to make hinges in the legislature...that is the battle to be fought and fought hard...if we lose that AGAIN the outcome next time just may be different

I sent a note to Allison Mchose and district 24. We need to support more like them, and even dems like van drew. 

The fact that he vetoed the 50cal is extremely mysterious to me. Did everyone already forget his speech about how he even personally believes that such weapons of destruction should not be available to the public? I don't know if he came to his senses or he's playing political games.

It's good to see he vetoed the bills, especially the sweeny bill. Though I would of wanted him to veto it for being voted on illegally and have some people thrown in prison for it. You can't stop a vote midway just cause it's not going how you wanted it to then move the venue where you KNOW you'll get the votes instead. We have laws against that yet no one is facing a god damn trial.

All in all, this battle was won- but the war still ravages on.

The fact that he vetoed the 50cal is extremely mysterious to me. Did everyone already forget his speech about how he even personally believes that such weapons of destruction should not be available to the public? I don't know if he came to his senses or he's playing political games.

It's good to see he vetoed the bills, especially the sweeny bill. Though I would of wanted him to veto it for being voted on illegally and have some people thrown in prison for it. You can't stop a vote midway just cause it's not going how you wanted it to then move the venue where you KNOW you'll get the votes instead. We have laws against that yet no one is facing a god damn trial.

All in all, this battle was won- but the war still ravages on.

If you read his comments regarding the .50 cal ban he had asked that the sale of one specific .50 rifle be limited. The legislature in turn went nuts and banned any firearm capable of firing a .50 cal round including rifled barreled shotguns.  There is nothing mysterious about why Christie vetoed the .50 cal ban.

I have pretty much always stayed away from the attacks on the gov's weight.  I am not morbidly obese but I am not skinny either. I have a BMI of about 27 which is overweight... I know what it is like to battle with your weight, and I admire him for at least doing something about it!

I was fat when I joined here and I made fun of his fat ass. I was 240 pounds. Being a fat slob myself in no way made me think it was any more excusable.

You admire him for getting surgery on his stomach so that he physically can't stick piles of food in his face? Well, I guess that is "doing something about it," and I hope it helps. But Admiration? It seems our standard for admiration is pretty low nowadays. I wonder if you get a trophy with your stomach surgery.

If you read his comments regarding the .50 cal ban he had asked that the sale of one specific .50 rifle be limited. The legislature in turn went nuts and banned any firearm capable of firing a .50 cal round including rifled barreled shotguns.  There is nothing mysterious about why Christie vetoed the .50 cal ban.

http://legiscan.com/NJ/text/A3659/2012

c.     "Destructive device" means any device, instrument or object designed to explode or produce uncontrolled combustion, including (1) any explosive or incendiary bomb, mine or grenade; (2) any rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces or any missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter of an ounce; (3) any weapon capable of firing a projectile of a caliber of 50 or greater [than 60 caliber], except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes; (4) any Molotov cocktail or other device consisting of a breakable container containing flammable liquid and having a wick or similar device capable of being ignited.  The term [does] shall not include any device manufactured for the purpose of illumination, distress signaling, line-throwing, safety or similar purposes.  Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (3) of this subsection, the term shall not include any of the following weapons capable of firing a projectile of a caliber of 50 or greater, but not exceeding a caliber of 60: antique firearm; antique handgun; muzzleloader rifle; or black powder muzzleloader having in-line ignition, a center hammer or an under hammer which has been, or subsequently is, approved for hunting in this State.  The term also shall not include any firearm with a bore diameter greater than 60 caliber whose principle means of ignition are traditional flintlock or caplock and whose principle propellant is black powder.

http://nj.gov/governor/news/news/552013/approved/20130419a.html

Governor Christie’s plan to responsibly expand New Jersey’s strict gun control measures includes:

• Banning future purchases of the Barrett .50 Caliber (New Jersey law would ban any weapon that is substantially identical to the Barrett .50 Caliber);

The Republican governor, who has worked with the Legislature on a number of bills to curb gun violence this year (he signed 10 last week), did not approve a proposed ban on firearms with a caliber of .50 or greater, saying it criminalizes a firearm that has not been used in crimes.

Christie's gun-violence task force had recommended earlier this year a limit on future sales of a specific type of firearm: the Barrett .50-caliber long-range rifle.

But the bill passed by the Democratically-controlled Legislature "goes well beyond that recommendation," he said in the veto statement. The bill makes illegal "the ownership of a whole class of firearms that are technically capable of firing any ammunition of .50 caliber or greater."

Many of those firearms - which can be four to five feet in length and weigh 35 pounds - are used by competitive marksmen for long-range precision target shooting.

"Tellingly, the Legislature points to no instance of this class of firearms being used by even a single criminal in New Jersey. The wide scope of this total ban, therefore, will not further public safety, but only interfere with lawful recreational pastimes," he said.

Yes ....but.

The final version of the bill is badly worded, but as I read it, it didn't ban Hawkeye's Pennsylvania rifle from The Last of the Mohicans. Or the Brown Bess.

We can pick this apart (as will the gun grabbers) but he might have done anything - veto, conditional veto, or sign - with the bill with pretty much the same statement. 80% of voters won't care that he vetoed the bill, of the 20% who do care, it won't change many votes.

I've been saying for months that we were going to see an amazing ballet performance for a 350 pound guy!

I'm just glad it's gone. At least for now.

(Sorry about the weight reference -- buy with 1/3 of Americans obese and another 1/3 overweight, this is more of an unfortunate societal norm than an anomaly. I had even suggested that he have the surgery as an offhand comment. Props to the Governor for at least fessing up to his surgery rather than lying about it which is probably more common among politicians and celebrities.)

Let's help to get Lonegan elected first. I believe he has a chance if we could get the independents. Then go after the state races. I'd say we make sure Sweeney loses to Trunk, but if he does we get Loretta Weinstein for Senate President. So I guess we need to be careful what we ask for.

Let's help to get Lonegan elected first. I believe he has a chance if we could get the independents. Then go after the state races. I'd say we make sure Sweeney loses to Trunk, but if he does we get Loretta Weinstein for Senate President. So I guess we need to be careful what we ask for.

Does it matter? Sweeney has shown that he will abandon his supporters for his own political career.