sure shot

Do we have a count down for Christie?

You hold your breath until he vetoes the remaining gun control bills, and I'll hold my breath until he eats his next meatball parm.

Ready?

Go!

.... just trying to be somewhat optimistic.  You have an election coming up, pull the lever for Barbara Buono. 

Forum does not like my browser settings and garbles some things.

Here I’m thinking you are trying to be slick with nbsp, What are you running, Netscape 4,?

I'm voting for Barbara Buono this November.

If I'm going to get f***ed in the a**, I'd at least like to have my butt-buddy be upfront about it, and not tease me with the thought of freedom.

Then you're Ok with this?

Plan to Prevent Gun Violence

“When it comes to protecting our children, New Jersey can and must do better. Governor Christie has offered shallow solutions that do little to solve the problem of gun violence. As Governor, I will take decisive action to prevent the kinds of tragedies that are all too common today.”     -Barbara Buono

Gubernatorial candidate and state Senator Barbara Buono has called for a comprehensive plan to combat gun violence that includes three common sense measures:

1) Smaller Magazine Capacity

The mass shootings in Tucson, Aurora, and Sandy Hook were all made possible by weapons with high capacity ammunition magazines. If these magazines had been smaller, lives could have been saved.

Senator Buono’s plan reduces the maximum capacity of ammunition magazines from 15 to 10 bullets.  Under current law, magazines capable of holding a maximum of 15 rounds of ammunition are legal in New Jersey.  We must immediately reduce the lawful maximum capacity of ammunitions magazines in New Jersey to 10 rounds.

Despite recommendations from Governor Christie’s task force to further investigate reducing magazine capacity, Governor Christie has chosen to not act.

2) Universal Background Checks

New Jerseyans overwhelmingly agree: all gun purchases should require background checks.

Senator Buono’s plan closes the private sale loophole and immediately requires background checks on all sales.  We must require all sales or other transfers of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun to be conducted through a retail dealer licensed under State law or a Federal Firearms Licensee.  The licensee would have to complete a National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) on the recipient. The only exceptions to this rule would be for transfers between immediate family members, law enforcement, licensed collectors, and temporary transfers for firearms safety trainings.

Governor Christie has refused to even acknowledge there is a private sale loophole. Again, he has ignored his task force’s recommendations on background checks.

3) Face-to Face Sale of Ammunition

New Jersey law currently requires all gun sales to be face-to-face.  It is baffling that New Jersey law does not require the same standard for ammunition, which is necessary to make those guns deadly.

Senator Buono’s plan requires that the sale and transfer of ammunition must be conducted in a face-to-face transaction.  A face-to-face requirement would make mail order, Internet, telephone, and any other anonymous method of ammunition sale or transfer illegal in New Jersey.

Again, Governor Christie has chosen not to act on this issue.

.... just trying to be somewhat optimistic.  You have an election coming up, pull the lever for Barbara Buono. 

Someday I might invade your state but I would feel dirty simply driving over and voting in it. I think that's wrong.

Besides, I wasn't really mocking your hope, I was using it as an opening for a cheap Governor Sandwiches joke ;)

Then you're Ok with this?

Plan to Prevent Gun Violence

“When it comes to protecting our children, New Jersey can and must do better. Governor Christie has offered shallow solutions that do little to solve the problem of gun violence. As Governor, I will take decisive action to prevent the kinds of tragedies that are all too common today.”     -Barbara Buono

Gubernatorial candidate and state Senator Barbara Buono has called for a comprehensive plan to combat gun violence that includes three common sense measures:1) Smaller Magazine Capacity

The mass shootings in Tucson, Aurora, and Sandy Hook were all made possible by weapons with high capacity ammunition magazines. If these magazines had been smaller, lives could have been saved.

Senator Buono’s plan reduces the maximum capacity of ammunition magazines from 15 to 10 bullets.  Under current law, magazines capable of holding a maximum of 15 rounds of ammunition are legal in New Jersey.  We must immediately reduce the lawful maximum capacity of ammunitions magazines in New Jersey to 10 rounds.

Despite recommendations from Governor Christie’s task force to further investigate reducing magazine capacity, Governor Christie has chosen to not act.2) Universal Background Checks

New Jerseyans overwhelmingly agree: all gun purchases should require background checks.

Senator Buono’s plan closes the private sale loophole and immediately requires background checks on all sales.  We must require all sales or other transfers of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun to be conducted through a retail dealer licensed under State law or a Federal Firearms Licensee.  The licensee would have to complete a National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) on the recipient. The only exceptions to this rule would be for transfers between immediate family members, law enforcement, licensed collectors, and temporary transfers for firearms safety trainings.

Governor Christie has refused to even acknowledge there is a private sale loophole. Again, he has ignored his task force’s recommendations on background checks.3) Face-to Face Sale of Ammunition

New Jersey law currently requires all gun sales to be face-to-face.  It is baffling that New Jersey law does not require the same standard for ammunition, which is necessary to make those guns deadly.

Senator Buono’s plan requires that the sale and transfer of ammunition must be conducted in a face-to-face transaction.  A face-to-face requirement would make mail order, Internet, telephone, and any other anonymous method of ammunition sale or transfer illegal in New Jersey.

Again, Governor Christie has chosen not to act on this issue.

"Again, Governor Christie has chosen not to act on this issue".... Keyword "yet" is missing.... 10 of 15 signed....after a dramatic long pause/wait to give the appearance of thoughtfully reviewing and considering...saving the bigger ones for closer to the election/deadline..... But all will be signed....

I can only imagine how those "in the know" (if there were more than a handful of rich bastards) felt when in the 19-teens white supremacist Progressive Virginian Woodrow Wilson became president of Princeton, then was elected Governor of New Jersey and before he could complete a single term of office, he ran for and was elected (solely because of infighting between the previous 2 Republican Presidents, splitting the party) President of the US.

Well here we are, facing another shite sandwich, being forced to take a bigggg bite. There's a storm-a-comin'

I would love to vote for Buono and move out of state the next day, as a big FU to the state. But that wouldn't be fair to all of you here. Or to the other real American constitutionalists that also reside here. Unfortunately with a NJ master plumbers license where else can I work? For me to move out of state and work somewhere else I would have to learn a completely different code and take that states test. Oh and move my business to a state where I know no one and have zero customer base. I refuse to go to work for someone at this point in my life. So im basically screwed and stuck here. Until I either retire or hit the lottery. FML

Sent using Tapatalk 2

There is no doubt that in 4 years our next governor will be democrat. These 3 new bans she is running on will be passed in 4 years, guaranteed. They dont want or need our vote, they just want our tax dollars to support their forced agenda. So make plans, dig up your roots, and leave NJ. The other choice is to start living as if these bans are in place now, as you have 4 years to ween yourself off of this hobby.

I don't even understand how the "terror watchlist" thing can be implemented. The TSC (actual name of the list) makes it very very clear that the list is to be kept secret (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/nsb/tsc/tsc_faqs) including the fact they will neither confirm nor deny if someone is on it. I would assume they require the same from the users of their list (ie the PD running the background check). At the same time a FID or P2P denial requires the denying agency to to provide a reason for the denial. this seems like a conflict.

To take it a step further, the TSC justifies the secrecy based on the idea that if a terrorist can check if they are on the list  then the terror group can pick someone who isn't on the list to do their evil deed. This law would create a defacto method by which the terrorists could bypass this secrecy ie. they apply for a FID and if comes back ok they know the person is clear, if it is denied there is a real good chance that "agent" is already flagged  and not usable for their current mission. i cant imagine the FBI allowing the system to be used in this way.

His website seems to say that he favors A3659 (the .50 BMG ban).

http://nj.gov/governor/news/news/552013/approved/20130419a.html

Most of the State of New Jersey is within commuting distance of a more 2A friendly (and more tax-friendly, and more car-insurance friendly) state.

What do NJ pols -- Christie and the Democrats in the legislature -- think they are going to accomplish by passing even more stupid laws?

I was afriad that the Terror Watch list and mental health submission bills would be passed, nothing good can come of those bills.  Now we can only hope that Christie vetos the Sweeney malarky.  Under that bill new applicants will have the pay the usual $60 plus however much (I'd imagine a couple hundred dollars) for a safety class; the $60 dollar is already too much!  It sounds like the training requirement will only apply if you are getting your first FPID or pistol permit however.  There are obviously many other things wrong with the Sweeney bill, the reapplication every 4 years, the FPID and pistol permit encrypted on your drivers license, etc. 

is html code for a page break

I love how the email I got from the NRA makes the two "pro gun" bills signed sound like a good thing. They were just signed to keep us at bay while he gets the lube ready. This states gun owners are totally f'ed. Anyone who thinks he's not going to sign the rest is living in a dream world. I really hope I'm proven wrong but I don't see that happening.

The Republican Party and the NRA are absolutely disappointing. Strongly opposed? Wtf does that mean? I don't see any of my NRA money doing anything but paying for more brylcreem for Wayne lapierre.

I was afriad that the Terror Watch list and mental health submission bills would be passed, nothing good can come of those bills.  Now we can only hope that Christie vetos the Sweeney malarky.  Under that bill new applicants will have the pay the usual $60 plus however much (I'd imagine a couple hundred dollars) for a safety class; the $60 dollar is already too much!  It sounds like the training requirement will only apply if you are getting your first FPID or pistol permit however.  There are obviously many other things wrong with the Sweeney bill, the reapplication every 4 years, the FPID and pistol permit encrypted on your drivers license, etc. 

Training to be permitted to buy a gun and keep it in your house. Unbelievable.

I was thinking about the lack of action on the last three bills.  As you all know today is Friday, the day unofficially reserved for releasing things nobody likes while everyone is distracted by their weekend plans.  The White House, for instance, loves to make document dumps on Friday afternoon in order to bury potential stories.  I wouldn't be surprised if Christie is thinking the same thing.  I would bet he either vetos or signs the bills today in the hope of having the story fall on deaf ears as people prepare for the weekend.  If the bills have to be signed by the 11th (a Sunday), it is highly unlikely he would sign them on Monday where the story would have a full week to blow up.

I was thinking about the lack of action on the last three bills.  As you all know today is Friday, the day unofficially reserved for releasing things nobody likes while everyone is distracted by their weekend plans.  The White House, for instance, loves to make document dumps on Friday afternoon in order to bury potential stories.  I wouldn't be surprised if Christie is thinking the same thing.  I would bet he either vetos or signs the bills today in the hope of having the story fall on deaf ears as people prepare for the weekend.  If the bills have to be signed by the 11th (a Sunday), it is highly unlikely he would sign them on Monday where the story would have a full week to blow up.

The three gun bills aren't the only controversial bills he hasn't acted on yet.

There is also A3371, the bill "banning gay-to-straight 'conversion therapy". FWIW he's already annoyed the gays by insisting that the gay marriage bill be put on the ballot.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/06/nj_senate_sends_bill_banning_gay-to-straight_conversion_therapy_to_christie.html

Obama has a press conference scheduled for 3PM (right after Limbaugh) which should provide cover for whatever Christie does.

Either way, way, we should know if Christie is running for President in 2016 as a Republican -- or as a Democrat -- very soon.

h73608.jpg

I would give 100:1 odds that he signs the .50 cal ban, and 10:1 that he vetoes the Sweeney bill.  The .50 cal ban is already part of his recommendations.  How can he possibly veto it?  On the other hand, the Sweeney bill 1) will be quite expensive and complicated to implement, 2) runs counter to Christie's repeated position that we have enough gun laws in NJ and 3) is being proposed by someone Christie doesn't particularly like.  He has enough cover to veto the Sweeney bill based on fiscal and practical issues.  I'm guessing he saved these three for last to add some drama and look like he is actually deliberating the merits of the bills.

I would give 100:1 odds that he signs the .50 cal ban, and 10:1 that he vetoes the Sweeney bill.  The .50 cal ban is already part of his recommendations.  How can he possibly veto it?  On the other hand, the Sweeney bill 1) will be quite expensive and complicated to implement, 2) runs counter to Christie's repeated position that we have enough gun laws in NJ and 3) is being proposed by someone Christie doesn't particularly like.  He has enough cover to veto the Sweeney bill based on fiscal and practical issues.  I'm guessing he saved these three for last to add some drama and look like he is actually deliberating the merits of the bills.

He's pandering and will "appear" to be a hero when he vetoes the last three...However, the damage has already been done. The mental health checks, terrorist watch, etc were worse...at least to me.

I would give 100:1 odds that he signs the .50 cal ban, and 10:1 that he vetoes the Sweeney bill.

What are the odds he had steamed broccoli for lunch?

What is the rumor about him leaving yesterday on vacation at the shore house?

Throw away those tidal charts, the Moon aint got nothing on him.

You're probably right. But I hope not. I don't see NJ getting this kind of crap turned around.

What are the odds he had steamed broccoli for lunch?

Throw away those tidal charts, the Moon aint got nothing on him.

You're probably right. But I hope not. I don't see NJ getting this kind of crap turned around.

...dipped in chocolate.

I don't see why he would "save" the Sweeney bill, to be passed later.  He just passed 10 bills, why not pass the Sweeney bill with that and do all the big damage at once. 

I think it's because he wants the antis to see he is "strong" on gun control.  And then quietly veto the Sweeney bill, but pass the 50 cal to say "hey I can't pass them all".  I hope. 

This was my hope too.  If he was ultimately going to sign all of them, what would his advantage be by not signing all of them at once?  Signing 15 vs 10.. the public at large won't care about the difference.. the media would do what they always do, and the anger of the pro-gun side (against specific bills) would be diluted by the sheer number of bills signed.  By NOT signing them he has draw attention to these three specific bills.. so to sign them later would cause more damage.

End of the day it could go either way.. sign them all, veto them all, or a mix.  I think we'll know by Monday and I don't see him letting them pass through inaction.. not after explicitly signing the others.. he can't spin that to his advantage.

This was my hope too.  If he was ultimately going to sign all of them, what would his advantage be by not signing all of them at once?  Signing 15 vs 10.. the public at large won't care about the difference.. the media would do what they always do, and the anger of the pro-gun side (against specific bills) would be diluted by the sheer number of bills signed.  By NOT signing them he has draw attention to these three specific bills.. so to sign them later would cause more damage.

End of the day it could go either way.. sign them all, veto them all, or a mix.  I think we'll know by Monday and I don't see him letting them pass through inaction.. not after explicitly signing the others.. he can't spin that to his advantage.

Anyone can guess as to why he left those bills alone for the weekend but I would be very surprised if they were not passed by silence or by pen anymore. I don't think Christie has ever stated his intentions to run for president as much as the media loves to run with the idea to cause a stir. At this point he could run for governor next term which seems like an easy victory for him and then be done with the whole shebang. He must know he could never win the republican nomination or majority vote at this point even if he vetoed the last few.

He's running for Vice-President in 2016. He may not fully realize it, but that's what he's doing. The Swamp People might well elect a fat governor with a funny accent (they've been electing governors like that themselves for a couple hundred years) but they aren't sure that Christie is the one, yet. 8 years at the Naval Observatory would make them more comfortable.

He needs avoid having the Republican party core going apoplectic at the thought of him as the #2 guy on the ticket. With the remaining bills, he must walk a fine line but as a successful lawyer and successful politician, and I think that he can do it.

I don't think Swamp People think they need a .50 BMG to shoot an alligator, and it would make a mess of the hide, so that may not hurt him too much.

Sweeney's bill would.

Christie is younger than he looks. He'll be 54 in 2016 and still only 62 in 2024. I doubt he wants to retire to become president of a second-tier New Jersey liberal arts college at the age of 55 if he leaves the NJ governor's job in 2018.