Dave_D

Pricing negotiable?

So... Wondering what has been anyone's experience on negotiating price for a handgun at a LGS? Any flexibility or in your experience has it been sticker price and that's it?

Reason I'm asking is I've located my next purchase both online and at a few LGS and after taking into account taxes, shipping, transfer fee, etc I would still be saving ~$50 over the lowest LGS price by ordering online.

Obviously I'd prefer to go with a NJ shop but $50 saved is more ammo to shoot.

Anyone been able to negotiate price? If so what % (5 -10%)?

I'm sure there's probably a little more room on some than others so just curious.

Never hurts to ask. Either ask if they are willing to work with you on price or flat out say take x#of dollars off and I will take it. If they are not willing to work with you on price see if they can sweeten the deal with a couple boxes of ammo or an accessory you have wanted.

I have done all of the above with success. Even in the peak of the ammo crises the dealer gave me a couple of boxes of ammo.

If you have been a loyal customer and they know you chances are they will work with you. If the gun you are after is a popular item it's going to be a little harder.

Your buying something, it never hurts to ask. We do it with houses, cars, construction contracts and at work so why not.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll def give the local guys a shot, some are closer than others that's for sure and if it comes down to something like $20 I'll go local but that's probably my cut off.

@iCarry - I'm in north Jersey, Union and Morris county for home/work.

@JT - Looking at Springfield XDS 9mm

Generally, markup on new guns is really not that great to begin with.  Guns that are in high demand, like the XDS 9mm, likely won't be discounted because of supply and demand.  Some guns like the XDS 9mm, you will see in your LGS for more than MSRP due to scarcity of supply and the LGS knows someone will pay it while maintaining the necessary inventory turns.

Generally, markup on new guns is really not that great to begin with.  Guns that are in high demand, like the XDS 9mm, likely won't be discounted because of supply and demand.  Some guns like the XDS 9mm, you will see in your LGS for more than MSRP due to scarcity of supply and the LGS knows someone will pay it while maintaining the necessary inventory turns.

Yea, I can certainly understand that. i'm sure there's a lot less overhead for the cyber shops so I'm sure that is where the lower asking price comes in.

Sounds like my best bet will be to ask and see, if not I'm planning on using one of our vendors here for the transfer so at least I'll be able to keep some cash local.

If you are willing to drive about an hour south, check with TJ Sporting Arms or JT Customs. Both are vendors here and have great prices and customer service.

Sorry for the noob question, but how can I find out wich stores are vendors on here?

Went to MEltzers in Garfield today to ask about that. Para ordnance 1911 for $650. I asked can you do $6 out the door. He said "no we don negotiate anymore". I said "I've purchased everyone of my guns here and tons of supples and ammo". He still wanted nothing to do with negotiating. I understand where they are coming from in these tough times but with that said I am done with that place.

Just like buying a car.  You have to be willing to walk away if you cant negotiate the price youre looking for.  I understand the overhead costs of running a physical store hence the higher prices than the internet stores.  And if I had unlimited funds i would always buy local, but sometimes you gotta do whats right for you.  I would spend a lil more even if the guy would tell me he cant come down in price but hey, how about i throw in a box of ammo and a little free range time to shoot it.  A friendly gesture, even if it doesnt save me a ton of money, goes a REALLY long way with me..

Just like buying a car.  You have to be willing to walk away if you cant negotiate the price youre looking for.  I understand the overhead costs of running a physical store hence the higher prices than the internet stores.  And if I had unlimited funds i would always buy local, but sometimes you gotta do whats right for you.  I would spend a lil more even if the guy would tell me he cant come down in price but hey, how about i throw in a box of ammo and a little free range time to shoot it.  A friendly gesture, even if it doesnt save me a ton of money, goes a REALLY long way with me..

gotta agree

that said, if any of the dealers can get me a sw .38 bodyguard with the laser for $400 shipped, I'd listen

Be careful when shopping online and only use reputable dealers. I have heard of stories that lower than norm prices on guns selling "brand new in box" were all scuffed up or scratched. Also some were either orders returned because of defects or floor models handled by many people and you can be sure that they were dry fired 100's of times. If you save $50 you may end up paying for a new firing pin or trigger. Yes covered under warranty but you pay for shipping sometimes both ways and your gun can be held up for months.

If you can see and hold the gun you are actually taking home you can inspect everything. Although I will admit some deals online are very tempting and may be worth the risk  and could save you hundreds of dollars. 

One other thing and I am sure others agree. If you do decide to shop online, don't "showroom" guns for an hour at a local shop and have them show you a bunch of guns when you know you will not buy from them. This not only wastes the salesman time but other potential buyers waiting to be helped.

I saw this at Tip's Hardware a month or so ago where a guy asked to see just about every 1911 they had and he kept saying I can get this gun online for this much and could you beat their price I'll take it and I can get this gun online cheaper and tax free.  The salesman just kept showing him guns and finally told him to fly out to Oklahoma and Texas and have them show him the rest of the guns he was interested in.   It was awesome. 

I say buy it online. Unless it's cheaper locally or something I can't find on the net, I buy online and have it transferred. I believe every dollar counts, especially when you have to go driving around to all these dealers. I don't know about you but my vehicles have terrible fuel economy!

Don't forget that you'll also get wacked with tax on top of the transfer fee if you buy locally. Case in point, let's say a 92FS is $615 at a local store and it's $520 at lambos armory right now. I'd rather buy it online, with free shipping no less, pay the $30-40 transfer fee and NICS fee then pay $615+3.5/7% tax+NICS.

To each their own.

I will always ask my ffl first if I am looking for something but if he doesn't have it or can't get it, I will just buy it online and pay his transfer fee (which is very reasonable).  

I believe in supporting local businesses but from my experience my local shops are rather high on firearm prices.  Case in point I was looking for a 226, and went to a couple local places looking.  They were both $150 more than buying online before tax was taken into account.  If we were talking about a 2k+ gun then the $150 wouldn't really bother me, but not on a $600 gun.  

I lucked out and my ffl got one in before I ordered it online and his price was actually cheaper than buying it on the internet. This is also why I will continue to use him exclusively, his firearm prices are always more than fair and he has great service.  That's how you keep customers.  

I will always ask my ffl first if I am looking for something but if he doesn't have it or can't get it, I will just buy it online and pay his transfer fee (which is very reasonable).

I believe in supporting local businesses but from my experience my local shops are rather high on firearm prices. Case in point I was looking for a 226, and went to a couple local places looking. They were both $150 more than buying online before tax was taken into account. If we were talking about a 2k+ gun then the $150 wouldn't really bother me, but not on a $600 gun.

I lucked out and my ffl got one in before I ordered it online and his price was actually cheaper than buying it on the internet. This is also why I will continue to use him exclusively, his firearm prices are always more than fair and he has great service. That's how you keep customers.

Tony is the best.