Sign in to follow this  
leahcim

CDC Report on gun violence

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2013/06/handguns_suicides_mass_shootings_deaths_and_self_defense_findings_from_a.html

POTUS ordered this study earlier this year, I can't wait to hear him start talking about how guns are not really as big of an issue as he previously thought.  Maybe even push for national right-to-carry.  I haven't read the actual CDC report yet, but here are some highlights from Slate:

#2:  Crime and gun violence showing long-term decreasing trend.  Also " “Unintentional firearm-related deaths have steadily declined during the past century."

#4: Handguns are the problem sounds potentially bad--I can hear people calling for FA type regulatory expansion of the NFA to SA handguns--but when coupled with #7 “Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals."  It is really not the handguns that are the problem, but the criminal's who possess them.  But it definitely assails the idea that banning so-called "assault weapons" will change anything.  Maybe FA long guns should even be reconsidered (I don't see that happening soon, but it would be nice).

#5: Mass shootings are NOT the problem.

#6: Pushing gun control for suicide prevention is a non-starter--if someone wants to commit suicide they will not be prevented by lack of a gun.  And it sure wouldn't be my first choice for suicide--way too messy and I think I would feel guilty that other people would have to clean up the mess.

#7: "Guns are used for self-defense often and effectively."

This is from Front Sight about the same study:

Well, Obama shot himself in the foot because the study, he ordered, titled, Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-related Violence, revealed the following:

1. Suicides, not violent encounters with guns, represent over 60% of all gun related deaths. Take the suicides out of the statistical analysis and the US has one of the lowest per capita death by guns statistics in the world. (Get rid of psych drugs and you will immediately lower the suicide rate and the mass shootings as well.)
  2. Those using a gun to defend themselves have consistently and significantly LOWER injures in violent encounters than those without a gun to defend themselves. This throws cold water on the gun grabbers claims that a gun in YOUR hand or in YOUR home is likely to be used against you by a criminal in a violent encounter.
  3. Defensive use of guns are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of citizens using guns to defend themselves more than 3 million times per year! So the next time you hear Obama, Biden, Bloomberg, Feinstein or any gun grabbing moron cry, "If we can just save one child..." get in their face and ask, "Why are you asking the American people to sacrifice 3 million responsible citizens EVERY YEAR to save one child?"
  4. Overall, gun related deaths are declining, during the same period that gun ownership has soared.

It was an Obama initiative. He believed the CDC would side with him, and come up with something damning about gun ownership. Like its a disease, or virus. 

Except they didn't go with his plan. They actually science'd. 

I'd like to read the entire report. I'd be willing to bet there are some real nice bits of information in there that we haven't thought of or seen before.

Why is the Center for DISEASE Control doing a study of firearms?  :facepalm:

I don't know exactly, but they've done these reports before for other administrations.   CDC isn't new to this.

Why is the Center for DISEASE Control doing a study of firearms?  :facepalm:

I think I know the answer to this one. There was a prior director of the CDC that was very anti gun, who thought along the same lines as "we need to brain was the people into disliking guns". In order to do that he needed some studies that "proved" firearms were bad, so he decided to create those studies. He justified the CDC performing those studies based on the Idea that you can treat "gun violence" like a disease. Using that justification he had the CDC start preforming studies that proved "guns are bad". That went on for a while until The NRA managed to get a bill passed that stopped the funding of studies for anti gun purposes. After that the final conclusion that the CDC reached was gun violence could not be treated like a disease, and that was the end of it, and they stopped doing studies into "gun violence" 

Now to the anti's of course, since the CDC was putting out "studies" that "proved" guns were bad were stopped from doing those biased studies trying to prove a prior conclusion, and stopped doing gun violence studies, they like to claim that the NRA stopped all "gun violence" studies. The reality though of course it only stopped bias ones and the CDC stopped doing those studies after their unbiased study concluded they could that the "gun violence" is a disease hypothesis was wrong.

That leads to the current situation in which since the anti's believed that if the CDC would start doing "gun violence" studies again those studies would continue to "prove" that firearms were bad for them. Unfortunately for them it appears that the current director is not heavily biased as that previous one was so the new studies are not what they were really hoping for.