Hey guys. I've been looking for ear plugs for plinking.

I've used the skin-toned Hearos, the giant orange Howard Leight Maxes, and the smaller Howard Leight LaserLites.

I feel like they are all too small for me. The Howard Leight Maxes will always seal one ear, but not the other. The Hearos are just don't seal. The LaserLites seem to be more consistent, but don't feel as big as they should be.

Am I overthinking this? Should I try out some re-usable plugs that are rubber or silicone? I used to use those deep in-the-ear iPod earphones ("Skullcandies"), and they seemed to completely seal my ear canal.

FYI, I will be getting muffs to double up, but I want to get an effective pair of plugs.

At least you had the presence of mind to realize your existing ones were in adequate. I was recently shooting outdoors and used just the plugs and not muffs and I guess I got a little too comfortable or lazy and I think I damaged my ears REAL bad. First night ringing scared me so much I didn't sleep. Now a week later and only 50 percent better. I think I F-ed myself up bad. Sort of making me rethink the whole sport now

The Surefires, especially the EP5s, stay completely inside your ear and don't stick out at all that they would contact muffs when you double up. They're only $12 I think so definitely worth giving a try. On Surefire's website I think they have a guide showing you how to measure a certain part of your ear to know which size to order.

For $100 any hearing aid place in the phone book will make you a custom fit pair In any color. It's also "flexible spending account" deductible if you have one at work. I now have two pairs...regular and one that holds earbuds so I can listen to the radio/iPod.