WhitetailMathewsZ7

What is your go to EDC blade

306 posts in this topic

Just seeing what people are edcing here in nj. My go to is my Spyderco Endura. But I alternate between the endura, tenacious, rat 1, cara cara ii, and the sogzilla. The spydercos are awesome and damn sexy. The rat 1 is a tank and it gets a lot of use at work. I love how low the carry is on the sogzilla. And the cara cara is a good worker also. Every knife has its purpose and I never leave home without at least one! What are your favorites and why?

I beat my knives up so I stopped spending money on nice ones. I started buying tons of knives from quite a few manufacturers and realized it was a waste of money, at least for my situation. Since then I've been known to really only carry Kershaw's as they are cheap and have good blades that sharpen well. I've been using a serrated blade I got off ebay for 25 bucks and I have yet to use a knife under 100 bucks that has been as sharp as it.

I had a SOG Flash II (like everyone else it seems) but I recently picked up a Kershaw Knockout because of the 14C28N blade and, man, that blade takes a wicked edge.

Just holding me over until I can get my mitts on a ZT0566

Victorinox Pioneer - it's got everything I need on an EDC blade, nothing I don't. The sharpened reamer tool is especially useful in many EDC type activities, such as cutting those stupid plastic blister packs without accidentally cutting yourself. Also very people friendly blade around the office.

A Leatherman Wave (1st [and better] generation) is always on my belt.

In my pocket, I switch out with various models as the mood strikes me.  My main rotation includes:

Spyderco Military CE - Currently in my pocket

Spyderco Paramilitary SE

Spyderco R Nishijin PE

Spyderco Spyker PE

Spyderco Dodo (multiple models, SE or PE)

Spyderco Rookie (multiple models, SE or PE)

Spyderco Rescue 93 (multiple models, both SE)

Spyderco Tasman Salt (multiple models, SE or PE)

Spyderco Manix CE

Kershaw Speed Bump PE

I will occasionally take some of the others out and include em in the rotation when I have a hankering for something [even more] different...like a Wayne Goddard lightweight, Endura4 ZDP, Volpe, Police, Native, Delica...I have plenty more to choose from...

I use a kershaw scallion for edc.  It is cheap and sharpens well.  I work in a place where I use a knife often to open boxes but it would not be good to have a bulky knife sticking out of my pocket for customers to see.  The scallion fits perfectly in the change pocket of my jeans and is so thin you don't even see it.  

I just lost my Benchmade 581 Barrage. It has since been replaced by an 810 Contego. I'll post about it here shortly.

Benchmade-810-Contego-3.jpg

I was supposed to get the 810 contego as a bday present this year but that never panned out as my gf planned something else.  I am eagerly awaiting your review bc I really wanted it.  

Has anyone had any LEO trouble carrying in nj. Would it be better to carry concelled completely to avoid trouble or are they ok with seeing clips. I haven't had any issues and have carried a mid to large folder for a while now.

Never had an issue during my contacts with LEO's, if they noticed it,  but my hands never went in my pockets during those contacts.  I occasionally(forgot) had my knife on me in high school no teachers or sheriffs officers ever said anything if they noticed it (Yay vo-tech school; 60% of the students had a knife on them). 

Has anyone had any LEO trouble carrying in nj. Would it be better to carry concelled completely to avoid trouble or are they ok with seeing clips. I haven't had any issues and have carried a mid to large folder for a while now.

I keep the appropriate statues on my phone for reference to cover my ass. I also have a hard copy of Title 2C in my glovebox. I haven't had any issues personally, but I also don't tend to attract police attention. I'd just recommend to know the appropriate laws and try to avoid a doing anything that would result in you being confronted. I don't bury my knives in my pockets, but they're usually clipped so you can see it if you happen to be looking at my ass or thighs (so, as you can imagine, I don't get many lookers).

I bounce between a couple EDCs depending on the mood. My long time first gen Endura has served me well and is currently retiring in my safe. These are what I currently swap around:

Elson Dreadlock Lite

Gerber Torch II

Spyderco Viele

Ron Flaherty Model 1