1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Always a USA buck. I abuse them, and have misplaced a few.

more power to you fancy carry guys. I’d cry if I lost a $300 and up knife

that's part of the thing with me. i thought it was expensive paying 65 bucks for my kershaw. hell if i'm gonna pay 300 bucks for something the same size. hell.....my kbar didn't cost that much.

• Like 1

I think it’s all about environment. Me, working in an office environment having a higher end knife isn’t so much a huge deal because, quiet honestly, I hardly use my knives other than opening mail or boxes. It’s not out of my pocket enough for me to fear losing it. 

On the other hand, when I worked in EMS, I always had a $50-$75 kershaw or the like since I was using it more and I’m harsher environments.  If I broke it (which I’ve done) or got blood on them, I tossed it and got another. 

Ive been more into the mid-tech knives recently. $100-$200. There’s a huge knife collecting market out there that I can use them for a while, and sell them for a minimal lose, if a lose at all

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

so here's the question. my kershaw holds a blade nicely.  what makes a 300 buck knife worth 300 bucks if a cheap 65 buck knife functions just as well?

Short answer is they both cut things  

What makes a Rolex any more expensive than a Casio g-shock?

obviously it’s status and wrist presence, but deeper it’s materials and craftsmanship.  Same with knives. If your into them, you’ll buy it. If it’s a tool and Soley that to a person, than a $65 knife will work just fine. 

On 10/24/2017 at 1:54 PM, Zeke said:

Market 

that's just stupid. i don't mean your answer is. i mean it's just stupid that there's a market that'll support a knife for3x the price of another knife.....yet isn't really any better,,,,but might have a stupid name......

On 10/24/2017 at 2:17 PM, JW43 said:

Short answer is they both cut things  

What makes a Rolex any more expensive than a Casio g-shock?

obviously it’s status and wrist presence, but deeper it’s materials and craftsmanship.  Same with knives. If your into them, you’ll buy it. If it’s a tool and Soley that to a person, than a $65 knife will work just fine. 

that also is a very good question. i am at this moment wearing the most expensive watch i've ever bought.....and it's an awesome one i bought from a member here. for less than 200 bucks. before this one, i never paid more than about 50 bucks for any watch......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

that's just stupid. i don't mean your answer is. i mean it's just stupid that there's a market that'll support a knife for3x the price of another knife.....yet isn't really any better,,,,but might have a stupid name......

that also is a very good question. i am at this moment wearing the most expensive watch i've ever bought.....and it's an awesome one i bought from a member here. for less than 200 bucks. before this one, i never paid more than about 50 bucks for any watch......

Did the $50 one not tell time... as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

Maybe not better to you, but it is certainly better than most other knives out there to me - including my EDC Spyderco Endura.

I have lusted after a CRK Sebenza for a while. The craftsmanship is remarkable. The shape, the materials, the opening and locking mechanism. It isn’t only a knife, it’s a work of art.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Purple Patrick said:

Sebenza price tags are not justified for me but to each their own

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well that goes for anything doesn't it?  Some people would think spending $80k on a car is insane when a $40k car does the same thing, gets you from point A to point B.

If it makes anyone feel any better, my Emerson Sheepdog took a shit.  The roller bearings wore out the liner...

After 2 weeks...
I've carried mine and used it relatively hard with excessive fondling with 0 issue. I've heard they have fantastic CS

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 10/26/2017 at 1:35 PM, AlexTheSane said:

Well that goes for anything doesn't it?  Some people would think spending $80k on a car is insane when a $40k car does the same thing, gets you from point A to point B.

big difference. that 80k car will probably be a hotrod that'll suck your eyeballs out the back side of your head when ya punch it. the40k car is probably just an econopoopbox.

that all said, mom's been cleaning. she just told me she found a hopalong cassidy knife. she's gonna bring it to me to check out tomorrow.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:02 PM, 1LtCAP said:

so here's the question. my kershaw holds a blade nicely.  what makes a 300 buck knife worth 300 bucks if a cheap 65 buck knife functions just as well?

The materials the knife is made from. The type of steel used also. I have a small Sebenza made with S35vn steel; it is supposed to be a higher quality steel over something like AUS8 . Different steel has higher grade on the Rockwell Hardness scale. The higher the number the better (i.e. 59-60 on the RH scale). 

Also, with the Sebenza, I can send it back to Chris Reeves for tune up and repairs under warranty.  

$40-75 knives can have decent steels, decent grip materials, and decent build quality.  Some companies make better quality stuff than others do at that price point.  There are a lot of companies putting out mediocre products around that price point when compared to others of similar prices.  There are a lot of 400 series stainless, AUS6, AUS8, 8Cr13..., etc blades priced similarly to VG-10, H1, CPM-S30V, ATS-34, 154CM, or ATS-55 blades out there.  Sometimes, you can even find some of the cheaper 'supersteels' at the higher end of the price range (I've gotten ZDP-189 for under $80).  If properly sharpened, a less expensive knife will likely last many years, though it may not last as long under heavy use.

At the $200+ point, you typically are getting significantly better steel, better/fancier handle materials, better build quality, better heat treatment, more exotic lock mechanisms, and/or possibly something of limited production or even basic 'custom'.  One of the biggest things about a good knife is the heat treatment - even a good steel with a bad heat treatment won't hold an edge well.  I haven't kept up with a lot of the newer expensive supersteels, but you may find stuff like CPM-S90V, ZDP-189, CPM-M4, Elmax, or D2 in these knives, or at least stuff like CPM-S30V.  These steels typically will hold an edge for substantially more use between sharpenings. Fluted or anodized titanium, carbon fiber, exotic woods, or other special scales may be another part of the cost. These knives also tend to hold a value better than those of the cheaper, mass-produced knives.  If these attributes are worth the extra cost is up to you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Malice4you said:

$40-75 knives can have decent steels, decent grip materials, and decent build quality.  Some companies make better quality stuff than others do at that price point.  There are a lot of companies putting out mediocre products around that price point when compared to others of similar prices.  There are a lot of 400 series stainless, AUS6, AUS8, 8Cr13..., etc blades priced similarly to VG-10, H1, CPM-S30V, ATS-34, 154CM, or ATS-55 blades out there.  Sometimes, you can even find some of the cheaper 'supersteels' at the higher end of the price range (I've gotten ZDP-189 for under $80).  If properly sharpened, a less expensive knife will likely last many years, though it may not last as long under heavy use.

At the $200+ point, you typically are getting significantly better steel, better/fancier handle materials, better build quality, better heat treatment, more exotic lock mechanisms, and/or possibly something of limited production or even basic 'custom'.  One of the biggest things about a good knife is the heat treatment - even a good steel with a bad heat treatment won't hold an edge well.  I haven't kept up with a lot of the newer expensive supersteels, but you may find stuff like CPM-S90V, ZDP-189, CPM-M4, Elmax, or D2 in these knives, or at least stuff like CPM-S30V.  These steels typically will hold an edge for substantially more use between sharpenings. Fluted or anodized titanium, carbon fiber, exotic woods, or other special scales may be another part of the cost. These knives also tend to hold a value better than those of the cheaper, mass-produced knives.  If these attributes are worth the extra cost is up to you.

That’s collecting vs edc

3 hours ago, JW43 said:

Went back to basics...kinda. Had a buddy of mine trick out my Spyderco Endura. Cerekoted blade and back lock. Mirror polish on the blade. Outstanding!

Nice. Works well for that knife. Amazing how much the flat grind changes the look of the enduras...

Btw, you're missing a screw on the clip.

19 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Nice. Works well for that knife. Amazing how much the flat grind changes the look of the enduras...

Btw, you're missing a screw on the clip.

I know lol. I have a deep carry clip that only has 2 screws that I have to put back on