Glad you got a good one. Several reports of off center blades and uneven grinds. That knife is nice, but priced too high for me.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk v4.5.1

My blade is very slightly off centered. I'm sure I could fix by loosening and tightening everything up, but it really doesn't bother me. No issues with the grind.

So I'm confused. I've been carrying a couple of inexpensive knives for years. Never had any issues but my knives don't have any kind of spring, assisted opening function and they are within the legal length limits.

Many people here seem to carry assisted-opening blades. To me, it has always seemed as though that would fall under the category of a switchblade as it opens with pressure applied to a spring after the thumb stud is pushed. Is there some authority which states otherwise? I have not been willing to risk legal action to find out.

So I'm confused. I've been carrying a couple of inexpensive knives for years. Never had any issues but my knives don't have any kind of spring, assisted opening function and they are within the legal length limits.

Many people here seem to carry assisted-opening blades. To me, it has always seemed as though that would fall under the category of a switchblade as it opens with pressure applied to a spring after the thumb stud is pushed. Is there some authority which states otherwise? I have not been willing to risk legal action to find out.

Now I'm confused.......what are the specs on "legal length limits"?

Now I'm confused.......what are the specs on "legal length limits"?

Here's my take:

There are two ways to look at the issue of knife laws in NJ: the statutory approach and the enforcement approach.

The statutory approach is the more static conversation. We have some words in a book somewhere that we can all look at and read. The words are what they are and we can piss and moan about why our interpretation is right and everyone else's is wrong. Very similar to the firearm laws in this respect.

So we look at Title 2C, chapter 39 and we got a few statutes. There's some extra deadly and scary stuff like gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, and stilettos. These scary sharp things are defined in other statues. Cue pissing and moaning.

"'Gravity knife' means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force..."

So is an assisted knife a gravity knife? No. I can't let the earth pull the blade out of the handle, nor can I whip it around like a madman and get that sucker to go fully erect. I need to push on it with my fattest finger until it goes boom boom boom.

"'Switchblade knife' means any knife or similar device which has blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife..."

Is an assisted knife a Switchblade? Almost, but no. Is there a button in the handle that I push that makes the knife go full mast? Nope. The tumor on the blade is what I push on, so a Switchblade it is not. Plus is doesn't come out automatically since it needs a little help from your fingers to get the magic to happen.

Dagger? Well is it edged on both sides? I hope not on a side folder.

Dirk? No.

Stiletto? No.

Even with all this, it's only a fourth degree crime without an explainable lawful purpose (2C:39-3). The other relevant statue is 2C:39-5. 2C:39-1 only defines terms for the rest of the chapter. Simply because something is defined as a weapon there, doesn't make it illegal. If there is not associated penalty in the phrasing of the statute it is not illegal. Lots of things can be vaguely defined as a weapon, but that doesn't prohibit them. That's the job of 2C:39-5, which says:

"Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree."

So if you have a knife or whatever on you, you need one that is appropriate for the job. Carrying a machete for opening boxes ain't going to cut it legally. Carrying an assisted knife? Sure. Go for it. Just have a statement mentally rehearsed so that any nosey law enforcement dude/dudettes have an answer. I personally have this situation rehearsed in my head:

Po-Po: "Mr. Toadette, why are you carrying a knife on your person today?"

Mr. Toadette: "I am carrying this knife for everyday, lawful cutting tasks for which it would be manifestly appropriate to use. Do you require any examples?"

So that's my take on the statutory level. Note that there is no legal limit for knives (at least not that I could find). The "manifestly appropriate" clause seems to have that covered.

The enforcement level is a little different. Do I really expect to have a nice legal discussion with a law enforcement officer, citing exact statutes? Not really. I don't want to come off as a smart ass if I don't have to. I keep a knife in my back pocket for EDC use. I really don't want to stab people, and even if I had to, I use the knife way more for non-defensive uses. The law is only as effective as the smartest cop. If the cop decides to confiscate my knife because his wife didn't give him a blowie that morning, whatever. It was probably time to get a new knife anyway. I'll piss and moan about my butthurt to the chief the next day. Maybe I'll get it back. Maybe I won't. I just don't want to get arrested for nothing.

But it's all just my take... I'm not a lawyer. If you or anyone else wants to err on the side of caution it's no skin off my back. I'll just carry cooler stuff than you. ;)

Here's my take:

Fair enough.  I do see that as one way to interpret it but I was mainly asking if there was some sort of legally recognizable authority (legislative history, court decisions, regulations, etc..) upon which people based their statements rather than personal interpretations.

Just buy it and enjoy it

See that's all well and good but I'm a member of a...."target demographic" for casual police inquiry and I'm pursuing career in law enforcement.  Which basically means that I walk on legal eggshells and have to remain above board in every way.  It's much easier to toe the line when people don't assume that you've already crossed it upon first sight.

Thanks for the responses.

Here's my take:

There are two ways to look at the issue of knife laws in NJ: the statutory approach and the enforcement approach.

The statutory approach is the more static conversation. We have some words in a book somewhere that we can all look at and read. The words are what they are and we can piss and moan about why our interpretation is right and everyone else's is wrong. Very similar to the firearm laws in this respect.

So we look at Title 2C, chapter 39 and we got a few statutes. There's some extra deadly and scary stuff like gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, and stilettos. These scary sharp things are defined in other statues. Cue pissing and moaning.

"'Gravity knife' means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force..."

So is an assisted knife a gravity knife? No. I can't let the earth pull the blade out of the handle, nor can I whip it around like a madman and get that sucker to go fully erect. I need to push on it with my fattest finger until it goes boom boom boom.

"'Switchblade knife' means any knife or similar device which has blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife..."

Is an assisted knife a Switchblade? Almost, but no. Is there a button in the handle that I push that makes the knife go full mast? Nope. The tumor on the blade is what I push on, so a Switchblade it is not. Plus is doesn't come out automatically since it needs a little help from your fingers to get the magic to happen.

Dagger? Well is it edge on both sides? I hope not on a side folder.

Dirk? No.

Stiletto? No.

Even with all this, it's only a fourth degree crime without an explainable lawful purpose (2C:39-3). The other relevant statue is 2C:39-5. 2C:39-1 only defines terms for the rest of the chapter. Simply because something is defined as a weapon there, doesn't make it illegal. If there is not associated penalty in the phrasing of the statute it is not illegal. Lots of things can be vaguely defined as a weapon, but that doesn't prohibit them. That's the job of 2C:39-5, which says:

"Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree."

So if you have a knife or whatever on you, you need one that is appropriate for the job. Carrying a machete for opening boxes ain't going to cut it legally. Carrying an assisted knife? Sure. Go for it. Just have a statement mentally rehearsed so that any nosey law enforcement dude/dudettes have an answer. I personally have this situation rehearsed in my head:

Po-Po: "Mr. Toadette, why are you carrying a knife on your person today?"

Mr. Toadette: "I am carrying this knife for everyday, lawful cutting tasks for which it would be manifestly appropriate to use. Do you require any examples?"

So that's my take on the statutory level. Note that there is no legal limit for knives (at least not that I could find). The "manifestly appropriate" clause seems to have that covered.

The enforcement level is a little different. Do I really expect to have a nice legal discussion with a law enforcement officer, citing exact statutes? Not really. I don't want to come off as a smart ass if I don't have to. I keep a knife in my back pocket for EDC use. I really don't want to stab people, and even if I had to, I use the knife way more for non-defensive uses. The law is only as effective as the smartest cop. If the cop decides to confiscate my knife because his wife didn't give him a blowie that morning, whatever. It was probably time to get a new knife anyway. I'll piss and moan about my butthurt to the chief the next day. Maybe I'll get it back. Maybe I won't. I just don't want to get arrested for nothing.

But it's all just my take... I'm not a lawyer. If you or anyone else wants to err on the side of caution it's no skin off my back. I'll just carry cooler stuff than you. ;)

Thank you for your eloquent and comprehensive answer and please know I agree with you.

I've carried a knife since I was 8 years old {we get our first around that age, Norwegian fishing folk tradition} and not for some vague notion of utilizing it for self defense but strictly as a everyday tool and like you have practiced a  logical and non defensive answer if accosted by Law Enforcement.

I now rotate my EDC between some inexpensive assisted Kershaws and a nice little Bench Mark fixed blade in a kydex sheath.{I tend to misplace my knives so expensive ones are out of the question}

My question  for Mr Fudd was more of a statutory nature as in.... is it written anywhere of a specific length of blade that is again of "legal length limits" in either NJ or NY because I could not find such a spec myself.

I gather from your and Mr Fudd's subsequent posts that there isn't.......I am no longer confused.

Here's my edc that I have no second thoughts about carrying. I also work for a garden center so I think that's all the justification I need were to be harassed. 9azevytu.jpg

Spyderco pm2 dlc coated blade and g10 handles

this signature exceeds the 15 character count capacity

Thank you for your eloquent and comprehensive answer and please know I agree with you.

I've carried a knife since I was 8 years old {we get our first around that age, Norwegian fishing folk tradition} and not for some vague notion of utilizing it for self defense but strictly as a everyday tool and like you have practiced a  logical and non defensive answer if accosted by Law Enforcement.

I now rotate my EDC between some inexpensive assisted Kershaws and a nice little Bench Mark fixed blade in a kydex sheath.{I tend to misplace my knives so expensive ones are out of the question}

My question  for Mr Fudd was more of a statutory nature as in.... is it written anywhere of a specific length of blade that is again of "legal length limits" in either NJ or NY because I could not find such a spec myself.

I gather from your and Mr Fudd's subsequent posts that there isn't.......I am no longer confused.

Sorry, about that.  No there isn't a strict length limit but you do have to think practically that past a certain point, there are few and fewer"lawful purposes" could you claim for a bigger knife.  You don't leave legality up to chance in this state and if, you're carrying a 6 inch blade, you're going to be hassled (whether that's right or wrong).  

Sorry, about that.  No there isn't a strict length limit but you do have to think practically that past a certain point, there are few and fewer"lawful purposes" could you claim for a bigger knife.  You don't leave legality up to chance in this state and if, you're carrying a 6 inch blade, you're going to be hassled (whether that's right or wrong).  

No worries.... Obviously I would think twice before strapping on any one of my larger knives before hitting the PATH but ironically that is exactly what I do when I visit my family...In our small town as in most, a knife on the hip is no different from a Letterman tool.

Not to get too semantic, but the term lawful is defined as anything not unlawful. If there is no statute prohibiting the reason you give, it is a lawful purpose. The issue is instead the "manifestly appropriate" clause.

I get that. But I that's why I said practically.  What is lawful on paper and in terms of logic does not mean "lawful" in the court room, or when your getting cuffed.  I wasn't referring to the "lawful uses" portion of the statute, but rather talking about the legality of the knife in general terms.  Maybe I fudged up the delivery though.

My justification would be letter-opening and cutting apples/oranges.  It's a shame you can't borrow a sharp knife at the convenience store  :drag:

Cracked me up! "The firing button is the size of a saucer and features 2 tons of artfully laid carbon fiber."

Too bad the average citizen can't own auto's in NJ...

Latest EDC update. Been traveling to weddings and business stuff for a few weeks. Been rocking my TAD Dervish Silverfish. Nice tiny little piece of mind that doesn't ruin the line of my trousers. 

How do you like it? And is it USA made?

It is made in China and I have it for about a month and I really like it. It's a deep carry and the blade is as Sharp as the day I bought it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Eros Ti has arrived. Weighs in at 1.7oz with the center of gravity about 1/3 of the way down the grip. This knife opens extremely quickly and easily. Texturing of the handle is aggressive. The blade is extremely sharp and I have high hopes for how well it retains its edge based on reviews/posts I've read about the steel.

Wow, I started this thread over a year and a half ago and it's still going strong! My collection has changed very much since then, my beater work knife is now a spyderco para 2, my edc is a large Wilson combat Starbenza. I've also recently taken a liking to traditionals, I just picked up my first GEC. While they are so much different than modern tactical folders they are a joy to carry and use.

so am I the only one to EDC a fixed blade?

I do occasionally carry a ka bar neck knife. Or my favorite little deer gutter the kershaw minimalist, sometimes I wish it was just half an inch bigger but for gutting a whitetail it's been great, I just keep it razor sharp. My problem is I never wear a belt so a sheath just seems strange to carry around.