I put my last one down at work. I'm afraid someone may have wanted it more then I did as I haven't been able to find it in the back room for a week, so here's my new edcattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ive been leaving my spyderco in my top drawer at work and have been ok, I always cover with something though.  People with sticky fingers SUCK!!!

I had someone borrow a Spyderco at work years ago, she then 'forgot' to return it to me for a week. Had to nag her a few times to get it back, but I finally did get it. I told her she was not allowed to use mine again, and she should buy her own.

She did, and all in all, I ended up causing 5 coworkers to buy at least 11 different Spydercos over the years, all because they liked my EDCs so much. I believe all but 2 employees there carried a knife of some sort, and I used to sharpen the knives for them if we were real slow.

I have tried the "cheap, but good quality" knives before, and I just wasn't too thrilled about any of them.  I tried Ka-bar, Gerber, S&W, and a couple others.  I picked up a Benchmade Griptillian a couple months back, and fell in love.  Well worth the price in my opinion.

I have tried the "cheap, but good quality" knives before, and I just wasn't too thrilled about any of them.  I tried Ka-bar, Gerber, S&W, and a couple others.  I picked up a Benchmade Griptillian a couple months back, and fell in love.  Well worth the price in my opinion.

Love my griptillian, I've got a large and also got a pink mini grip for the lady. They can take a beating for sure!! People complain about the "plasticy" feel of them but they are just as solid if not more solid than most knives with G10 or Micarta scales.

I have tried the "cheap, but good quality" knives before, and I just wasn't too thrilled about any of them. I tried Ka-bar, Gerber, S&W, and a couple others. I picked up a Benchmade Griptillian a couple months back, and fell in love. Well worth the price in my opinion.

I bought a Griptillian but it was to big for carrying at work (in an office). I carry the mini-Griptillian at work and regular Griptillian everywhere else. Great knives.

I also have a Spyderco Delica, but with Orange grip. That brings to much attention to my pocket.

Also have the following:

CRKT M16-01Z-EDC

Kershaw Cryo

Kershaw Cryo II

Kershaw OSO Sweet

Kershaw Clash

Kershaw Chive

Kershaw Shuffle

ZT 0350TS Tiger Stripe

I have so many freaking knives haha but i finally found my grail edc. Zero tolerance 0562cf full titanium handles, carbon fiber scale, m390 super steel, and runs on ikbs bearings. This thing is a dream to flip. The m390 steal is ridiculous ive used it hard for 2 weeks processing flowers and breaking down cardboard and it still shaves. The pocket clip design is unique and really goes deep on the pocket. People look at me like im nuts when they see i carry a $200+ dollar knife but its what i want and i use it hard daily. The contego is my beater for when im selling xmas trees and is also an awesome (very)large knife.

post-5228-141833320128_thumb.jpg

post-5228-141833321994_thumb.jpg

post-5228-141833324073_thumb.jpg

post-5228-141833325446_thumb.jpg

I have more knives than I actually carry. My EDC has been my Victorinox Cybertool 34 and/or my Boker Trance. Funny thing is I've got "tanks" too, but the Trance has handled _every_single_task I've asked of it over the years. Sure, the edge has taken a beating but that's what sharpeners are for. It's light, flat-ground, thin, and extremely comfortable. "Who could ask for anything more..." as the song goes.

Depends what I'm doing. For work I carry my mini griptilian. When dong stuff around the house and at the barn I bring my mini barrage.

Both very nice knives and work great!

attachicon.gifIMG_20150210_135020049_HDR.jpg

Interesting you bring up these Benchmade models. I just saw a Benchmade ad in a magazine about their new custom line of Gripts and Barrages. You can choose steel types, colors, etc and Benchmade will get it to you. I had a full size Griptillian years ago and didn't care how it felt in-hand so I sold it. Since they're pro'lly their most popular models I wonder what took them so long to figure offering that.

Interesting you bring up these Benchmade models. I just saw a Benchmade ad in a magazine about their new custom line of Gripts and Barrages. You can choose steel types, colors, etc and Benchmade will get it to you. Since they're pro'lly their most popular models I wonder what took them so long to figure offering that.

When I bought them last year, I checked out their website and you could customize them then. I haven't seen any ads for bench made knives yet. Only on the internet.

When I bought them last year, I checked out their website and you could customize them then. I haven't seen any ads for bench made knives yet. Only on the internet.

You can still customize a select few models.  It's quite expensive though, when you can get a basic Griptillian for significantly cheaper.

I do not have just one blade. Most times I will carry my Boker automatic folder or Spyderco Matriarch along with a neck knife. I also keep a Blackhawk CQD Mark I, E type in my car. My main defense outside of my home is a carry gun, either a 9mm or .45 acp so my knife choice is not that important. 

Right, so since they're used mostly for cutting duties, is there a reason for carrying two?  Do you need to cut two different things at the same time?  Do you need a backup knife, just in case you run out of ammo, and you pull your main knife and it breaks?  It seems like overkill.

For many of us, knives are like guns...., it is nice to have more than one. I like their looks and functionality.  I think we all would agree that different knives have different qualities and are appealing for different reasons. I enjoy, marvel and respect the variety of materials and mechanisim designs, as well as the aesthetics that various knife designers bring to their knifes.  I do not carry a folding knife for self defense, but for everyday utility uses, including to open envelopes and boxes, cuting rope, zip ties, packing tape, etc...  Let's get real...If one's life is in jepordy, most sane people will look to run and escape to safety, instead of standing around and engaging some crazy s.o.b. low life in a face-to-face knife fight, where one's chances of getting seriously hurt are very high.

For my EDC, that I carry during the week at work, inside my suit jacket is a:  (the web links are to access photos of the knives and more info)

• William Henry - B30-Blackbird Gentac - Carbon Fiber folding knife
This is a smaller, very well made, high-quality, sleek and elegant, as well as very light, (1.6 oz) pocket knife.  It is very similar in appearance to the Blade Magazine's "Overall Blade of the Year" in 2006, awarded to the William Henry Knives GenTac CTD.  The body is titanium and the handle uses titanium bolsters with black carbon fiber inlays. The strong 3” blade is made from tungsten ZDP-189 stainless steel with a DLC coating. It also has a blue colored titanium pocket clip and a total open lenght of 7".

http://www.williamhenry.com/knives/b30-gentac/gentac-blackbird-562.html

During the weekend, depending on what I am doing and my mood, I will alternate between the following five folding knifes for general around-the-house and outside use:

• Chris Reeve Carbon Fiber Sebenza 25
This knife is made in by Chris Reeve knives in Boise, Idaho. A key factor in any knife is the quality of the steel used. The Carbon Fiber Sebenza 25 utilizes American-made CPM S35VN stainless steel made by Crucible Industries, where the steel is heat treated to a Rockwell hardness of 58-59 for excellent edge retention and impact resistance. The blade is a beefy .140” thick and has a scratch resistant stonewashed blade finish. The thumb rest of the blade spine has textured jimping for positive grip. The blade is 3.625” long; an overall length of 8.335”. The knife weighs only 4.0 oz, due to the carbon fiber handle.

The carbon fiber handle is lightly blasted for texture, yet the weave pattern of the solid carbon fiber is clearly visible. The Sebenza 25 has a frame lock mechanism along with the thumb lugs allow for easy one-handed opening and closing, as well as a solid 6Al4V titanium frame behind the blade when opened. The machine lapping on both sides of the handle creates a perfectly flat surface. This knife has specially designed phosphor bronze pivot washers, whose material was selected to reduce friction and is perforated to further reduce friction. Another feature of this knife is that it has a 1/8” ceramic interface between the titanium frame lock and the hardened steel blade. The ceramic interface provides an extended lock life by reducing wear on the lock.The knife has dual blue anodized titanium thumb lugs and it has a blasted titanium pocket clip along with a short black cord lanyard that has a machined and anodized titanium bead on the end.  http://www.knifeart.com/carbonfiber25.html

• Zero Tolerance ZT0560 Hinderer Design in black
Based on Rick Hinderer design of his renowned XM-18, the US-made Zero Tolerance ZT 0560 blade is ELMAX powdered steel with stonewash finish for the extreme edge retention, high strength, and toughness. It’s pivot uses the KVT ball-bearing system for rapid deployment and a framelock with lockbar stabilizer. The handle is machined G-10 on the front and machined titanium on the back. ZT has skeletonized the liner and machined pockets in the titanium handle and framelock, finished with a deep-carry pocketclip . With black G10 front scale. Its blade length is 3.75 inches; closed length is 5 inches; and its overall length is 8.8 inches and a weight of 5.8 ounces.   http://bladereviews.com/zero-tolerance-0560-review/

• SOG – Tomcat 3.0 (S95-N)
This is the third generation of SOG’s first folding knife that won an award for Overall Knife of the Year in 1988.  As a heavy duty folder it features SOG’s Arc-Lock that combines speed and safety in controlling the 3.75 inch VG-10 steel blade.   VG-10 stands for V Gold 10 ("gold" meaning quality) and is a cutlery grade stainless steel produced in Japan.  It features double thumb studs to allow opening with either hand.  The handle is made of stainless steel and textured Kraton. Kraton is the trade name given to a number of high performance elastomers manufactured by Kraton Polymers and used as synthetic replacements for rubber.  http://www.sogknives.com/tomcat-3-0.html

• Benchmade - 810BK Plain Edge/ BK Coated Blade Contego
This knife is part of Benchmade's 'Black Class', and is a Warren Osborne design.
It is essentially a purely tactical blade, not an EDC utility knife. This quality constructed knife is very strong due to the CPM M4 steel blade, ceracoat blade coating and an aggressive reverse tanto profile and quality construction. It has a 3.98” blade length, since Benchmade wash consciously wanting to stay 0.02 inches within the 4-inch legal limit that many jurisdictions put on folders. It has no torsion bars, coils or springs propelling the blade, it should be able to escape legal scrutiny.  http://www.benchmade.com/products/810

•Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade (C81GPBK2)
Released in 2010 with several changes over the classic version, this 3.9 oz knife was made with more consistent manufacturing tolerances and employs their new Bushing Pivot System to provide a more fluid action. Its blade is 3.438” long, made with CPM S30V steel in full flat-ground black with a non-reflective diamond-like coating, with added surface jimping to both the spine and finger choil. The G-10 textured handle is narrowed at the end improving ergonomics, the handle and blade have been profiled thinner to eliminate hard angles and features a Compression Lock.   http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-ParaMilitary2-Black-Blade-PlainEdge/dp/B004TXMFQQ

AVB-AMG

My new EDC will be an Emerson CQC 7 waveless with the plain edge. I have wanted an Emerson for soo long now and finally pulled the trigger. This should replace my Ontario RATs which have served well.

I've had two Emersons in the past, a CQC-14 and an A-100 that I bought new from a reputable knife dealer.  I had nothing but troubles with both knives' locks, even after multiple trips to Emerson. So I will never buy another Emerson knife. I sincerely wish you good luck with your Emerson. They are great looking knives.

I just placed an order for a Benchmade Barrage.  I'll use my Griptillian most of the time, especially at work.  The Barrage will be what I carry outside of work since it's a more expensive knife.  I got the Barrage with a dark gray handle, black nuts and clip, and a toxic green cerakoted blade.