shooooot

.22 LR for Ruger pistol ?

is CCI Standard Velocity 40 grain 1070 FPS LRN good ammo for a Ruger Mark III Target?

is it great? just good?

i don't know a lot about rimfire ammo, and i'm picking up my ruger next week

i found and bought 2 boxes of the above ammo today because its all i know about... but would love to learn more about what is better / ok / bad for my new gun

thanks for your time guys

Should work OK.  Used by bullseye shooters all the time for practice.  Good ammo to learn with.  CCI 22LR products are above average.  After your learning curve, look into Volquartzen parts to make that Ruger rock.

I have a MK III and it eats LRN Mini-mags with no problem, but not the most accurate. I find that CCI Standard Velocity and Wolf Target work real well. I have also shot Eley Club Xtra from Remington and it is VERY good but pricey, like all Eley ammo.

DO NOT Shoot hollow points, LRN/CPRN only. My Ruger MK III Hunter jams all the time with HP ammo.

In general for target shooting ammo under 1,100 fps will be moderately more accurate due to being under the sound barrier. 

For plinking, I have found any 1050-1255 fps round nose ammo to work great. Stingers or yellow jackets or PowerPoint or other HP or very high speed ammo is problematic.

CCI Blazer / CCI AR Tactical  / Rem. Thunderbolt, / Winchester M22  are all great plinking ammo.

I have a mkii and I have put federal hp bulk Winchester bulk cci standard and minimags Remington golden bullets and hp and eley primed Remington target. I have never had a problem with any of them I do break down and clean my gun every 1000 rounds or so. 22 can be dirty. The only rounds I have had a problem with are the cheaper wolf target. These bullets seem to be overly lubricated and gunk up the feed ramp quick causing ftf. Keep it relatively clean and it will shoot almost anything.

My favorite with the MK III are the CCI mini mags.  I know you have to take what you can get rite now though.   That fact has showed me that my MK III will feed and shoot anything including the standard velocity rounds very well.  This ammo crunch also taught me that the most accurate ammo for my MK III is the CCI Velocitor. 

Take what you can get and give it a try.  The MK III is a fairly forgiving gun in my experiences.  I did change the extractor in it though due to way to many FTE's wich could contribute to its tollerance of any ammo.

Ken