Sign in to follow this  
302w

Kovalchuk.

We're screwed. This guy cost us tons of younger players because of his over prices contract and that contract us screwed us out of a 1st round pick. Plus not doing this 2 weeks ago before the draft really hurt us. I've personally never liked him. I thought it was a mistake when the devils traded for him. He doesn't play devils hockey.

As a Devil's fan, I never liked him, I never liked his deal. The teams money was better spent elsewhere, not saying I didn't enjoy when he was on his hot streaks, but bulking up our D, and potentially keeping Parise and/or Clarkson would have been a better decision IMO.

As a hockey fan, or more importantly, a loyal person, this was a completely d-bag move. He should have announced this decision prior to the draft, and free agency. I like what we did in the draft, but we could have focused more on keeping Clarkson(although I think Toronto overpaid), or making a big push for Ryan, Briere, or another power forward. This is better in the long run, but it royally f'd us for the next few seasons, and next years draft.

I like... Or at least likeD kovalchuk but the deal was crap from the beginning. And he should have been more loyal given the situation. In my opinion hes a traitor and royally f'd us.

LMAO what do the Rangers even have to do with this thread...its a Devils thread...Just like every other Devs fan I know, gotta deflect and bring the Rangers into it...worry bout your own team lol.

Thank you. IIRC not even a Rangers fan.

i cant blame him.

pPtgI0p.jpg

in honesty though it will be a couple of years until we recover. hockey isnt worth watching anymore.

also i have to side with OP. in my experience whenever theres a thread about the devils, ranger and/or flyer fans jump in it with trash to talk. maybe not all of them and some more innocent than others but it happens every time. just how sports work. wouldnt be any fun without it

i cant blame him.

Posted Image

in honesty though it will be a couple of years until we recover. hockey isnt worth watching anymore.

also i have to side with OP. in my experience whenever theres a thread about the devils, ranger and/or flyer fans jump in it with trash to talk. maybe not all of them and some more innocent than others but it happens every time. just how sports work. wouldnt be any fun without it

Haha great picture. I hope you don't mean hockey in general is unwatchable though. I think its gotten better (with the exception of officiating).

I generally give my devil friends a good verbal lashing, which I'm sure will continue today, but the people on this board seem to have a pretty thin skin and I don't feel like seeing them all butthurt.

On the actual topic of Kovy, you could see the writing on the wall. They barely got him to come back from Russia last year. Its been reported that he could make up to $20 mil a year back HOME. $20 mil a year in your home country with friends and family vs an NHL team in financial strife created in part by your contract and (IMO) no clear direction for the future. Still no excuse to be a quitter.

The devils acquisitions seemed very stop gap-esque (cept for Schneider) and this absolutely kills their goal scoring ability. Kovy not was not only responsible for the goals he scored but gave A LOT more room for teammates on the ice.

For shame.

It sucks for the Devils but it will eventually benefit them in the long run.

The owners are trying to sell the team and being on the hook for $55 million over the next 4 years could turn off a potential buyer.

Frees up ton of cap space to sign other players. This would have been better if he "retired" before the draft and free agency.

Get rid of a player that does not want to be here.

Go Flyers!

Youre telling me if you're building a team you pick clarkson before kovy?? I can't agree in that in any way, shape or form.

Yes. He sucked in the post season, he never lived up to the hype, and his lack of commitment to the team makes him worthless IMO. He should be labeled "The Big Mistake" What a waste of 100 mill.

Yes. He sucked in the post season, he never lived up to the hype, and his lack of commitment to the team makes him worthless IMO. He should be labeled "The Big Mistake" What a waste of 100 mill.

He was a point a game player 816 games 816 points.

This is a failure on the part of Devil's management. Kovy made no secret of the fact that there was a good chance he would go back to Russia. He also discussed it many times with Lamoriello. Apparently Lamoriello thought the risk was worth the possible reward?

I remember Lou not being too happy when the deal was signed and made it seem like it was forced on him by ownership.

That being said, Lou will find a way to turn this around to benefit the team. Maybe not this year, but down the road.

Worse than the Isles/DiPietro contract? lmao

I would say yes because DP was sidelined through no fault of his own, injury. Had he remained healthy his contract would have been a steal considering he was a pretty good goalie when healthy. He did hurt himself at the allstar game didn't he?

I'm so bummed out man.  I got a Kovy jersey because:

1.) He was (is) a good player and

2.) The contract.  I figured I'd get some use out of it for the next decade. 

I can't blame him though.  If I was offered the kind of money rumored to be offered by SKA, well I'd retired too.  He's over 30 now, and he's got his living to think about.

Note to rangers and flyer fans if you love the team so much move to that goddamn state your like mexican immigrants crying that mexico is better .. Love it or leave it