Secret Squirrel

Need car ideas

Well it looks like I am in the market for a new car a little sooner than expected. I am looking for ideas of what to get. Here are the details:

trading in two cars, looking in the $20-23k price range for the car. I am looking for something fun, prefer manual trans, certified pre-owned, gas mileage is a small factor would like at least 25mpg.

Let's hear it.

Focus ST!  Smoothest shifter I ever felt.  Ricaro seats are awesome.  Its a great all around car for the price(23k for ST1; 25k for the ST2; 27k for ST3).  I ALMOST bought one, however the need for a truck came up.  I hope to get an ST in a year or so.

Not sure if this is on your list...  VW CC 2.0T

It's what I drive and best value in IMO.  Stock it is 200 hp with 200 lbs of torque and gets 31 mpg. 13.5 cu/ft of trunk space.

I also chipped it and added an intake for less than $1000 .... with the APR chip... 265 hp with 300 lbs of torque... and if I drive like a nerd, cruise control on 55 mph..... I've gotten up to 42 mpg with 40 miles travel distance... with slight hills ... but when I need to go without TCS ... it burns out ... :D

I appreciate all the input, I have been looking heavily at the Focus ST as it seems like the biggest bang for the buck as far as options, reliability and cost. There is one at a dealership near my work that I might go check out tomorrow after work. 

When I said "fun" I meant something not boring, ie Camry or Accord. I'm looking for something with a little character to it. Also, it doesn't have to be a manual, I just prefer manual.

Subaru wrx

Subaru sti

Both used should be in that range

Or the Legacy GT. Pretty much a grown up WRX. I love mine. A shame they only had the wagon in manual for 1 year.

These don't really fit your MPG requirement though. I think mine is rated 18/24 with 20 average.

I really like my Forester, though it's probably not your idea of sporty.  Check out Legacy's and Outback's instead.  Should be close to your price point, mileage is improving, and it's the last car anyone would expect to have a trunk full of guns.  And speaking of guns, mine had 5 shotguns, 3 cases of shells, 3 cases of clay birds, 2 batteries, a case of water, a clay bird launcher, and 2 chairs for the shotgun shootout yesterday.

I bought a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback with the Skyactiv powertrain (41MPG, 6 spd manual) when they were closing them out and bringing in the 2013 models.  As of 2 weeks ago, on the 1 year anniversary of buying it, I had 21,300 miles on it.  Love it to death - it's the first car (out of the 8 total that I've owned) that I truly like.  I've had gripes about all the other cars... 3 Toyotas, 1 Honda, 1 Chrysler, 1 Dodge, 1 Mercury.

The new 2014 models are seriously sexy with some fantastic upgrades.  I chose the Mazda after test driving the Impreza, Focus, and Elantra hatchback. 

I appreciate all the input, I have been looking heavily at the Focus ST as it seems like the biggest bang for the buck as far as options, reliability and cost. There is one at a dealership near my work that I might go check out tomorrow after work.

When I said "fun" I meant something not boring, ie Camry or Accord. I'm looking for something with a little character to it. Also, it doesn't have to be a manual, I just prefer manual.

I drive them all the time at work, they're an absolute blast and we haven't seen any issues with them yet.