There was one bit of advice I got from someone long ago when first going to French Canada. If you run into a French Canadian that makes believe they can't speak English make it clear to them you are an American not Canadian. Some French Canadians feel if you're Canadian you should be able to speak French and English like they do. If you're an American that's okay and they'll speak English to you. Never encountered it much but when I did letting them know I wasn't Canadian always got them to speak English.

There was one bit of advice I got from someone long ago when first going to French Canada. If you run into a French Canadian that makes believe they can't speak English make it clear to them you are an American not Canadian. Some French Canadians feel if you're Canadian you should be able to speak French and English like they do. If you're an American that's okay and they'll speak English to you. Never encountered it much but when I did letting them know I wasn't Canadian always got them to speak English.

My advice, if you run into a French Canadian under the age of 70 who pretends not to speak English, turn around and find a French Canadian who isn't an asshole.

I've been driving up to Montreal 3 to 4 times a year for the past 12 years now and would actually move there if it wasn't so damn cold in the winter, The French Canadians are extremely accommodating as long as you show the littlest of respect for their language, so a simple Bonjour,Merci and Au Revoir is all that is required in most situations. The balance in basic common sense.

The nightlife,restaurant,and music scene is a blast in the summer because the drinking age is 18 and Montreal is largely a collage town so a good time is relatively inexpensive. As for what to see and do, well IM me if you have specific questions but I go up for the dining and food and wine shopping mostly.

Depending on where you're staying and intend on doing, check out RestoMontreal,Askmen Montreal and The Montreal Gazette for dates of activities and events.

You're really going to enjoy your self.

It's been a while, but I got advice to use a credit card for as many payments as needed as the exchange rate is better and there's no fee...

The exchange rate is now negligible and only makes a difference if making very large purchases but I use credit cards everywhere anyway so a smart idea.

It's been a while, but I got advice to use a credit card for as many payments as needed as the exchange rate is better and there's no fee...

You have to check your cc

My Amex has transaction fees that are substantial

Same thing with my master card

Most banks will change your money

Or just your ATM card to withdraw money

Just don't do it in small amounts

The ATM fees add up

We've been to Montreal and Quebec several times each. We speak/understand a bit of French so we never have a problem. Every time we go we expect it to be better, more interesting, but it isn't. 

Canadian architecture is horrible for the most part, especially for post-WWII buildings. We drove by dozens of houses with greek columns out front, cement slab porches, wood, brick, three types of shingle, all in the same edifice. They're very fond of cement as opposed to stone. 

There's a waterfront park that is one of the ugliest open spaces I've seen anywhere. Hundreds of homeless people. High-power cables and towers everywhere, and the ever-present cement, cement, cement. 

The Montreal main drag used to be elegant 20-30 years ago. Now the immigrants have taken over many of the stores. 

My memories of Quebec are somewhat. Last time we were there we hit the hottest weather in more than 100 years. It was impossible to sleep (no air conditioning). My hemorrhoids were also bothering me at the time.

The parks are also remarkably ugly for a major city, but the buildings and restaurants are much more attractive than Montreal's. We had our children's portraits painted by a local artist, who did a splendid job. I'd go back.

We've been to Montreal and Quebec several times each. We speak/understand a bit of French so we never have a problem. Every time we go we expect it to be better, more interesting, but it isn't. 

Canadian architecture is horrible for the most part, especially for post-WWII buildings. We drove by dozens of houses with greek columns out front, cement slab porches, wood, brick, three types of shingle, all in the same edifice. They're very fond of cement as opposed to stone. 

There's a waterfront park that is one of the ugliest open spaces I've seen anywhere. Hundreds of homeless people. High-power cables and towers everywhere, and the ever-present cement, cement, cement. 

The Montreal main drag used to be elegant 20-30 years ago. Now the immigrants have taken over many of the stores. 

My memories of Quebec are somewhat. Last time we were there we hit the hottest weather in more than 100 years. It was impossible to sleep (no air conditioning). My hemorrhoids were also bothering me at the time.

The parks are also remarkably ugly for a major city, but the buildings and restaurants are much more attractive than Montreal's. We had our children's portraits painted by a local artist, who did a splendid job. I'd go back.

I'm not quite sure if you're referring to Montreal or Quebec City in your rant...

Saint Catherine's is the main drag in Montreal and like most large Metropolises is crowded and lined with all the big chains but Montreal also has The Plateu, which was the main Jewish enclave and is now a historic pedestrian area with Restaurants,cafes,bakeries and Schwartz's, home of the best smoked meat and akin to Katz in NYC,Atwater, which has a great market, canals,restaurants like Joe Beef and Liverpool house along with cool dive bars that party until 4am.

Jean Talon in Little Italy which is large,historic and vibrant and littered with bars,clubs and Restaurants.

Off St Catherine's are some of the cleanest,safest,upscale and most convenient Gentleman's clubs where a fine scotch or port and Cuban cigars along with a thick steak is available any time of the evening or early morning.

Museum row on historic Sherbrook, 3 stories of clubs and bars on Cresent, Old city, China town...... I can go on but Montreal is one of my favorite cities so you must forgive me.

Museum row on historic Sherbrook, 3 stories of clubs and bars on Cresent, Old city, China town...... I can go on but Montreal is one of my favorite cities so you must forgive me.

We'll have to go back then, and take some of your recommendations. We didn't get to the "high" ground at all, as we were mostly walking. I have a Jewish friend who grew up "up there."

You can't argue about that waterfront area though. Eek.

P.S. We were there last time with three kids. Too young to go with the flow, too old to appreciate much.

We'll have to go back then, and take some of your recommendations. We didn't get to the "high" ground at all, as we were mostly walking. I have a Jewish friend who grew up "up there."

You can't argue about that waterfront area though. Eek.

P.S. We were there last time with three kids. Too young to go with the flow, too old to appreciate much.

The waterfront is now Disneyland.....Segway rentals,Icecream shops,High end condos,sidewalk bistros,carriage rides.....

I think this is more of a Montreal thing^^^^^^^

I went to Quebec City about 5 years ago and everyone spoke English to me when I politely explained that I didn't speak French. The people there seemed very nice.

no offense, but many French Canadians dont like Americans either..  maybe it was just a Quebec (city) thing, but im guessing it isnt

What a coincidence i dont like the french or canadians lol