wink-_-wink

Working out

I have recently started trying to transform my body and prepare myself for an opportunity at work which would put me on a team.  For those who don't know me very well I work in a prison and the team is basically like prison SWAT.  Getting on the team would open a lot of doors for me and my career so I have recentl began hitting the gym and the pavement a bit harder.

I eat healthy a good 98% of the time.  I only drink water and soy milk in my protein shakes. 

I take the normal suppliments-

Pre Workout- JACK3D

Amino Fuel

Protein

What I am curious about and the reason behind the post is I am looking for tips.  I do not want shortcuts or gimmic diets.  I am willing to put in the work.  I am not a heavy guy but I am also not the fittest person around. 

I am sitting at about 16-18% body fat.

My goals are to get my run time down and get my muscle up (both size and strength)

I JUST started taking a Test Booster stack that combos BPI's "GRP-HD" and Image Sports's "Test-7"

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17111806

As well as a "ripped pack" daily

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11745458

I am looking for a decent workout to both build size and muscle as well as strengthen my core and my running.  I am not worried about actual number weight because muscle weighs more than fat.  I am 5'10 and 200-205 lbs on any given day with the above mentioned estimated body fat %. 

Any recomendations on other supps (I know creatine but that bloated me when I was deployed), workouts, actual programs (I own p90x but it is loaned out and insanity is insane but I am woking toward that... since you have to be in shape to do those videos.), diets I would listen to (recently added grapefruit to my daily intake which I just found out I LOVE and its great for you. 

I am not trying to be able to bench 405 or anything close to that but my wife is begging for BIG ARMS lol and I want to be stronger and faster (at a distance of about 2 miles I want to be able to run that faster than 15-16 minutes).  Look forward to hearing some input.  Thanks

Crossfit and eliminate soy products. 

Why eliminate the soy?  It is soy milk in my protein shakes and I know it produces estrogen but the test boostes negate that plus the ripped pack has a estro blocker... so other than that is there another reason to eliminate it? 

Don't know much about working out as I was never able to really get into the whole routine.  I just try to do as much cardio as I can through sports and use my gym membership every once in a while.  

I really just came in here to say good luck with your endeavor and I hope you are selected for the position you are after!

Why eliminate the soy?  It is soy milk in my protein shakes and I know it produces estrogen but the test boostes negate that plus the ripped pack has a estro blocker... so other than that is there another reason to eliminate it? 

The soy induced estrogen might neutralize some of the test boost.  Those test boosts might be more hype than real.   Why not real milk?

Overall though, supplements don't do all that much.  It's the hard, consistent work that gets results. 

Crossfit

full body workouts

Kettle bell workouts

Push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups

Plyometrics

lots of lean protein

get a juicer and juice veggies and fruits.

If you are running 8 minute Miles right now, you are doing great and that is fast enough. I would increase the distance you run. Try to get up to 30 minutes or longer of running 3-4 days a week.

Crossfit

full body workouts

Kettle bell workouts

Push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups

Plyometrics

lots of lean protein

get a juicer and juice veggies and fruits.

If you are running 8 minute Miles right now, you are doing great and that is fast enough. I would increase the distance you run. Try to get up to 30 minutes or longer of running 3-4 days a week.

I asked my wife to get a juicer for me.  I eat fruit and veggies daily... Like today my food intake consisted purely of fruit, vegetables and chicken breast... I am taking the suppliments for the size really... i got amazing results in afghanistan and lost it.

As far as the milk goes, regular milk, 2 % skim all that destroys my stomach... painful and then im in the bathroom... soy milk I actually like but I see your point with it counteracting the boosters.  I can make my shakes with OJ or water and it tastes just as good..

Don't know much about working out as I was never able to really get into the whole routine.  I just try to do as much cardio as I can through sports and use my gym membership every once in a while.  

I really just came in here to say good luck with your endeavor and I hope you are selected for the position you are after!

Blake, thanks man I am super excited!!  They have a pretty strict PT requirement to get in so I am trying to do more than cardio.  And according to some of the research I have been doing (places like bodybuilding.com and nerdfitness.com) weight lifting is far better than countless hours on cardio.  I always do 15 minutes of running before I workout, and if I can tollerate it I do a 2 mile run at night after work.  I have access to the base gym and another one at the prison that is staff only so I am not lokoing to waste money on a gym membership or class like crossfit (although a few yaers ago I was a member of Retro in Jackson and I LOVED it there!)

I would stop taking the supplements except for the jack3d. That stuff is serious. Really gets you up for your workout. Take a multivitamin, vit D, vit C, fish oil, then get the rest from veggies and fruit.

I forgot to add those... I do take a multi V, Vit C and Krill Oil (more omega 3) the other supps are literally just to get the size in my arms that my wife is begging for

Good luck with the workouts. I will also be getting back into the workout game after an extended hiatus due to back surgeries. I love lifting heavy and it has always worked well. I hate cardio but have to do more now so I will be doing a lot of biking. Also will be using my free weights as a cardio. Instead of low reps and heavy weight for a while it will be lower weight for higher reps. Gotta lose the fat before I start to re-bulk

at 5'10" 205lb, if you are at 18% body fat, you should be relatively muscular.. the question is how much more muscular do you plan on getting?

The BMI doesn't count here, because it takes into consideration an unhealthy amount of body fat...

However, you need to decide which is more important, cardio activity or strength. Once you hit a certain point, one is going to be more important then the other... think professional runners, who are skinny vs those worlds strongest guys... extremes i know, but they aren't cut by any means and just have serious muscle mass..

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html

If you run right before a work out, you may be using up to much energy. If your body doesn't have energy to burn, it will burn muscle.... You literally end up putting muscle back on that you just burnt off... and it will probably lower the intensity of your overall workout

My advice is to separate the 2 and if you don't give your body time to heal, it will not build... Pick days to work certain parts of your body days to run and pick at least 1 day of doing absolutely nothing and one day of just running.. Or run in the morning and weight train in the evening... there are many ways to get it done..

Its all about finding a medium of working muscles and letting them rest...

Hey man, the best advice I could give you is to check out bodybuilding.com as they also have a forum... not just the store. The guys over there are EXTREMELY knowledgable about all of the supplements and workout plan plus there's a lot of good people on it.

When I wore the turtle suit and carried the M249 I would tear ass on the cardio/ aerobic and alternate with good solid weight routine. The cardio/aerobic let me kick ass on the weights.

Good heart and lungs means you get to focus on the muscles when you are working the muscles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start every workout with squats. By doing a major muscle you get the testosterone flowing when doing smaller muscle groups, etc. And don't forget to do core. Don't overdo it. Listen to your body. Vary high reps with lower reps and more weight. Warm up and don't get hurt.

I am not lokoing to waste money on a gym membership or class like crossfit

If you're familiar with working out then doing crossfit type routines will result in a strong core and they will help condition your muscles.  You can google the workouts and duplicate them yourself - there's really nothing earth shattering about any of them.

Throw in a few Tabata runs before and or after a workout...

For me, the advantage to crossfit was that there was no routine - each time I went they threw different exercises at me which involved different muscle groups.

I'd echo the Crossfit but do it as a supplement, not a replacement to resistance training, Crossfit won't make you bigger unless you're gifted genetically.

It worked for me because (A) it works legs much more than I did beforehand, and (B) there are suggested workouts so you can't typically say "meh, I've done enough I'm going home". Even scaling weights, if you keep the intensity up you'll be on the verge of puking every time if you push yourself. And if you track your progress with an app or whatever, you're always trying to improve.

I do the Crossfit workouts at my own gym. They don't cost anything to get the workouts but if you don't have the crossfit coach you just have to make damn sure you're using strict form, especially on the olympic type lifts.

I've been working out regularly for about 15 years and I never saw all of my stomach muscles until I started Crossfit. And that includes wrestling in high school.

As far as the milk goes, regular milk, 2 % skim all that destroys my stomach... painful and then im in the bathroom... soy milk I actually like but I see your point with it counteracting the boosters.  I can make my shakes with OJ or water and it tastes just as good..

Water is probably best.. though there are other options.  Almond milk isn't bad as an alternative to soy.  It doesn't have nearly the protein as cow or soy milk but it's something.  I've heard that cashew milk is very good protein-wise but haven't tried it.

Also check out Coconut water.. a good post-workout drink.

I would dump all of the supplements [except vitamins/minerals], they are mostly garbage and the ones that work...well why do they work? They have hormones and what not in them = not good for body because you have no idea what is in most of them. Same goes for soy - its garbage and almost all GMO. Give almond milk a try or just drink water. If you want to get shredded go gluten free/cave man diet/SCD. High fiber, lots of kale, lentils, etc, with the protein of fish, eggs, some chicken, little beef. If you eat grass fed you can increase the amount of beef because it is much healthier than typical beef.

At your current BF%, height, and weight I'd say you can lose 20-30 lbs of fat. However, you need to add lean muscle too. Obviously you need strength for what you will be doing but you can be a very strong 5'10" 175lbs. Your current build does not sound like a frame to be burning it up on the track so 8 minute miles is pretty good. If you get down to 175 you will be much more agile and have a better build for running. I think you could cut the fat by the fall if you change your diet and keep your workouts varied, p90x is good, crossfit is good, even through in some yoga, hit the weights, it's all good. As mentioned previously, squats and dead lifts...two excellent muscle building exercises! If you get burned out on cardio/running join a soccer or hockey league, those two are great workouts as well and fun.

Do you have a goal BF/Weight in mind?  What is your time frame? Lean muscle mass takes a great deal of time to add without using steroids or HGH. It gets even harder as you get older.

Crossfit and eliminate soy products. 

Screw soy.

Unless you are very skilled and have awesome technique and motor control, don't bother with Crossfit, or P90X, or Insanity. I think it's extremely stupid to perform different movements back-to-back in a fatigued state, all while you might or might not know how to properly perform these movements. That's what these programs encourage.

I say, stick with basic barbell and bodyweight movements, and once you get those movement-patterns ingrained, you can superset them into pairs, which will give you a bit of cardiovascular conditioning on top of it all.

Barbell: deadlifts, low-bar back squats, standing overhead press, and rows.

Bodyweight: planks, pushups, pistol squats, cossack lunges, pullups, and ring-rows.

I don't recommend bench pressing for a few reasons:

1. Force is transmitted through your torso, into the bench, and to the ground. Pushups, however, transmit force throughout the entire body, into the ground. Sure, doing pushups doesn't mean you have as strong a chest and triceps as someone who benches 350+, but one can easily wear a weighted vest to make pushups a strength exercise. Weighted vests can be made increasingly heavier.

2. Most people keep their elbows flared, arms perpendicular to their torso, during the bench press. This is the perfect position for shoulder impingement. Even with this corrected, with elbows at 45* to 60*, I still don't like how your shoulder blades must be pulled back for almost the entire lift. The pushup allows for a complete range-of-motion for the shoulder blades, which decreases risk of impingement even further.

Something intense and short, like sprints (under a few minutes), or something easy and prolonged, like easy jogging or swimming (half an hour, to an hour or longer), is great for conditioning. The former works the phosphagenic metabolic pathway, and the latter works the oxidative metabolic pathway. One burns ATP (which comes form glucose), the other burns fat. Too much exercise in the glycolytic metabolic pathway, which is extended glucose-burning (20-50 minutes of fairly difficult running, for example) depletes your glucose/glycogen stores, and is fairly stressful to the body. This leads to sugar cravings, overtraining, injuries, etc.

Testing your mile-pace once a week, or every other week, won't stress your body like crazy if you use very light-and-long and very intense-and-short conditioning exercises. However, running everyday like it's race-day will kill your body. How many guys have we got coming back from the military with messed up knees from all of their frequent crazy-long runs?

I don't over-do it on carbohydrates. For someone wanting to get lean, cutting carbs is an easy way to lose weight, but is not sustainable in the long term. You start to have less energy throughout the day. I can vouch for this. I used to get 50-100 grams of carbs a day, but have upped it. I'm now isocaloric - meaning, my calories are obtained in equal amounts from fat, protein, and carbohydrates. I recommend this kind of macro-nutrient approach for people who are active and athletic. You can still get lean - you'd probably just have to count calories if the weight isn't coming off.

Some of the stuff I mentioned in this post about Crossfit and metabolic pathways are written on this blog - http://www.brainbodybelly.com/2013/05/07/about-crossfit/